Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to gut a cat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 11:07 AM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to gut a cat?

Anyone got any idea the best way to gut a cat? I have never done one before. Thanks...

(that would be a catalytic converter, please no horror stories about intestineless felines...)
Old 03-04-2004, 11:12 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any type of "Mod" that requires using a large screw driver and a hammer is Rice!!

basically thats it. You just take it off the car and break up the insides using the method above.
Why ont just go to a muffler shop and have them weld in a test pipe. Tell them its for track use only.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:26 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A gutted cat will only create turbulence in the exhaust system, if you want to delete the cat get a test pipe. Better still, just replace the cat with a low restriction cat!

Edit; I just noticed in your sig that you have a test pipe already, whaz up wit dat?
Old 03-04-2004, 11:40 AM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

The test pipe is broken, I had one welded up before, but here is the trick on an "S". The flanges that bolt the exhaust manifold to the cat pipe are pointed in (they are trianagular) different directions on a regular 944 and a 944S. So no one makes a test pipe for a 944S. The test pipe I had, I welded the down pipe part of the cat pipe to the center and rear sections of the test pipe. It ended up being about 1/4" to long, but I was able to make it fit. However, after a few months of all that heat and stress on that joint, it broke. The pipe has seperated from the flange on the rear. So I have to come up with some replacement for the whole piece.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:45 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just weld in a straight piece of pipe in place of the cat? I've heard of people sleeving the cat by gutting it and adding a pipe inside to reduce turbulence. In my case I had a low restriction cat welded in where the stock unit had been (plus pipe since the new cat is much shorter).
Old 03-04-2004, 11:51 AM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Yeah Dave, I think that may be the answer. I didn't realize gutting the cat caused such problems, I thought all the crap came out of the pipe after gutting. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:39 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

hole saw
Old 03-04-2004, 03:23 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

3-4ft Crow bar does it just fine, you also need to hook and extract the wire mesh thats in there as well as shaking out the broken-up honeycomb material. Personally I don't think there is an issue with turbulence in the exhaust just from removing the converter material. The converter material is a section about an inch or two thick and the rest of the cat is empty space which may have served a resonator function.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:29 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

The converter material is what dampened the turbulence.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:23 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

You can get a test pipe made for you at any muffler shop.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:37 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Just go to the muffler shop, and tell them to cut out your cut, and replace it with a straight pipe. It's a ghetto solution, but it does the job, and saves you $$$
Old 03-04-2004, 07:42 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Cyrus951
Just go to the muffler shop, and tell them to cut out your cut, and replace it with a straight pipe. It's a ghetto solution, but it does the job, and saves you $$$
They will not do this at a muffler shop. It's illegal for them to remove an emissions device. You can however, give them a piece of pipe and have them cut flanges accordingly and weld them together for you and replace the cat with that pipe yourself.

Unless you go to a specialty shop and find someone willing to do this to a "track" or "off-road" car, you may have to buy one or make one yourself.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:44 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

I wonder if you could have them weld a test-pipe together if it is not on the car.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:03 AM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 87 S and I have been through this before. I was given a second down pipe with a supposedly clogged cat. So I gutted it with a long chunk of rebar. Ya just pound it through and shake out the matrix materiel. I was actually worried about breathing in the dust so I wore a mask. Reinstalled the whole set up and then there was a "buzz" in the exhaust note at about 3100 rpms. I thought I had a piece of matrix still stuck in there. So I pulled the cat and sure enough I found some more matrix. Removed it and the buzz got worse. Pulled the down pipe again (in this whole thing I got to where I could remove the entire exhaust in about 20 mintues) and found the mesh in there. Removed that and the buzz got even worse. So finally I went to a muffler shop and went with a complete straight pipe... the problem is the car has a flowmaster muffler on it and with the straight pipe it is so loud I can't drive it. I have thought about pulling the straight pipe and having something like a 24 inch glass pack put in there to try and deaden the sound. At the moment I have my original exhaust on it and now it is starting to develop that "buzz" at 3100 rpm. Does anyone know what that is by the way? All in all I wonder how much of a horse power gain ya really get out of removing the cat?

IPSC
Old 03-05-2004, 10:23 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts

How to gut a cat:

1. Give the feline cat nip, slows them down
2. Grab it's tail (that's what it's there for)
3. Beat the little bugger against something solid, like an anvil
4. Hang said cat from the ceiling of your garage by hind legs
5. Cut from the throat down to the nether regions
6. Grab skin and pull
The rest should be obvious.

Quick Reply: How to gut a cat?