Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some people have all the luck..

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 03:15 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Some people have all the luck..

So my buddy threw a bit of a beater 92 3rd gen Camaro he had on a trading site the other day, and a guy with a Guards Red 87 N/A hit him up. My buddy's Camaro is black primer, most of the ground effects were standard GM 3rd gen rotted. It was a 305, only really good part about the car was it was a 5 speed. Lot's of issues. Front end as loose as a goose. But the guy with the 87 944 seemed interested. He asked me to go take a look with him since I own a couple of 944's. For this to even be a real trade I'm expecting a heck of a beater 944.

What showed up was a fairly straight 944. Has the standard battery box rot, something is up with the headlight switch. Used to turn on the dash lights and the headlights popped up right, now the dash/headlight pop only works every once in awhile. When one works, the other does too. Currently they are stuck up, so at least that's good for now. Torn leather drivers seat (imagine that), rear wiper delete, dash cracked. Idle's up and down a bit (rotted vacuum lines I'm 99% sure) and the PO replaced 1 CV axle, but now the other's going. (surprise surprise, never replace just one) Has the lighted Porsche lens piece where the license plate goes for the rest of us. Battery is wrong for the car, +/- reversed, and they rigged it up to work. Drivers front fender is bright Guards red, the rest is faded Guards red. Original owner had it repainted many years ago for peeling paint, the rest of the car faded, that panel didn't. Great condition phone dials. New tires. Does have a fairly decent options list:

C77
341 Central locking system
425 Rear window wiper
431 Leather steering wheel, 363mm (Not available with airbags)
454 Automatic speed control
533 Alarm system
650 Sunroof
946 Leather/Leatherette seats

I really suspected the 944 guy to back out of the deal. I would have snatched up this 944 if my buddy hadn't. Engine compartment is in great condition, timing belt done 8k miles ago. Pulls hard, shifts good. My N/A is an automatic, and the only 5 speed 944 I've driven is my 951. I was VERY surprised how well this N/A pulled. There are of course small things. I'm sure we'll find more. But still.... I may be biased, but personally I'd have paid 2-3x more for the 944 than I would have his Camaro. Guy traded straight across.

Some people have all the luck.

But I've demanded first right of refusal when he decides to sell it!

It was funny, at the Gas station after they traded, my buddy is testing the windows. They both roll up and down. However the switch fell into the door while he was rolling his up, so we had to take off the trim piece holder to get the switch back, but now none of the windows worked. We messed with it for awhile, but he had to go. About a mile down the road, it finally let him roll it up.... Welcome to 944 electronics! LOL.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:57 AM
kingroon
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 99 Posts

Sounds like your buddy got a good deal, especially if it means he gets into a Porsche..!

Photo..?

Quick Reply: Some people have all the luck..