Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Field find pricing question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 12:37 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by FastasEF
Well, going on a few hours now and haven't gotten a reply yet ... thinking I probably won't, which is unfortunate, I thought I finally found a 944 for a not ridiculous and unnecessary price. Only other one around me is a running 84, 5 speed, NA for $4500 ...

Anyways, thanks for the help everyone and if I hear anything different I'll let you all know.
Not being partial to early cars, that 84 wouldn't have a whole lot of interest to me. But he may not be far off on the price. This is of course my personal opinion, but having been a member here for some time, and seeing many, many MANY price discussions, here is my rule of thumb. A well sorted N/A, and by sorted I mean belts have been done somewhat recently, clutch wasn't done too long ago, decent paperwork, no body damage aside from dings, paint serviceable, everything works, runs perfect, maybe a cracked dash and maybe some cracked seats is worth $5,000 ish. This is in used but well taken care of shape. Then I go from there. Paint that needs redone right now? -$1,000. Body damage that can't be fixed with a little work? -$1,000 to $2.500. No paperwork, and no idea when the clutch and belts were done? -$1,500 to $2,500 depending on if the car otherwise looks well taken care of. I'll give bonuses for parts and work the PO has done and you can see the new parts and they did it right. If the price reaches 0, I walk away. For non-running beaters, $500-800. I would make exceptions for non-running yet well taken care of cars.

I looked at one yesterday for a buddy of mine, my opinion was $1,800 ish. He picked it up (and is loving it!). I only have two, but I look at others all the time. Normally we can't come together on a price. But every one that comes up local I look at. And I make an offer on it if meets my requirements above. Just food for thought.
The following users liked this post:
h011yw00d (02-01-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 12:41 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts
Talking The last resto

I can concur with the fact that an early, sitting, non-running car will be the most expensive car you ever bought. I have an '83 that I have been working on for 7 years now, and is going back together soon.. If you want to do it cheaply, take out a loan for 15K-20K..It's cheaper than credit cards by far. Expect everything you touch will be crappy. Buy one that is running, and go from there. At least you got a chance to drive it before you got it. I pulled mine out of a field where it had been setting for 10+ years. Depends on the level of resto that you want it. Nothing, even the sun visors and clips are different between the early and late cars. Only major components will cross over..Suspensions are different, shocks are different, struts are different..only the shell is the same. Two totally different cars. You can't cross over between the two. Been there done that. Trust me. I have 18K into mine and still counting...and no paint yet. Hopefully this will stay in the family for many years to come. Made good progress this week...hopefully it will continue. This is my LAST Resto..I promise...honey..

Last edited by Tiger03447; 02-02-2020 at 12:44 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-02-2020, 04:49 AM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Agree totally. Trying to find financial upside is at best dubious, and most commonly a negative return of marriage-breaking proportions. The advice on starting with a runner is very very wise unless you know exactly what you are looking at. Having said all that...

millions of people every year plow billions of dollars into hobbies and pastimes. Got a golf habit? Chalk up a few thou there. Like flying a rented plane? Few thou there. Like season tickets? Same. All of which bring joy. If fixing a car is what brings you joy and satisfaction, by all means live your happiest.

Your payback is what you put into it, not what you get out of it. If it isn’t, it is called “business”.
FastasEF (02-02-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 01:15 PM
FastasEF
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can say that I am lucky in the support realm, last week alone I've gone and looked at a handful of possible restoration projects and the significant other was ok with, and interested in, all of them. She doesn't share the same passion for the restoration bit, but she enjoys the finished part and understands the allure of a very good looking and functioning car to just cruise around in. Yesterday we drove about an hour away and picked up an original and complete Jaguar XK120 Moss transmission in pieces ... just so I could restore it and display it, they're things of beauty and I won't gain a dime.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:54 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts

I bet that will be a beauty when you finish it..Great idea!! First coffee table with a shifter protruding through a glass top!! How cool is that? LOL!
Old 09-10-2022, 10:52 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

That early car with Fuchs wheels AND nice sport seats you think is a $500-$800 car?
Ya'll high on something, but definitely not prices..
Old 09-11-2022, 08:38 AM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Test

Last edited by ElRicardo; 09-11-2022 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-11-2022, 11:03 AM
Gasngo
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Wheels and seats on one of the cars as mentioned have value. Sadly theres a lot of hoarders of cars that just let them sit pretty stupid if you ask me but who am I . Final note the early car has a metal gas tank and most likely will be toast. They dont make them any more [correct me if Im wrong] that means done right its a 600$ fix roughly. I know someone could argue that but I dont have time or desire to yank the tank more than once plus all the other headaches dirty fuel will do. Later cars are plastic. I paid 1600 for my car about 8 months ago 84 model. The Int is nice and the paint is in pretty good shape so other than the gas tank as mentioned above plus various items from hoses to injector clean, belts used rear calipers and a few upgrades I have another 3k in it roughly. Its not a perfect example but pretty nice considering. Put it this way my wife and I where coming out of a local grocery store and a GT3 pulled in and parked. My wife said to bad your car doesn't look like that. I said look up a 2021 Porsche GT3 and one she saw the price she adjusted her view point.
phantomrecords (09-19-2022)

Quick Reply: Field find pricing question