Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should my Web site come down?
Yes, It's a violation of Porsche's rights
34.15%
No, It's your personal website.
65.85%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Should my website be taken down ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 02:48 PM
car_slave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a battle you want to fight under any circumstance. Offer to sell them the domain at a fair price, but when you have 800 attorneys on staff I don't think they need to.

And forget about any first amendment b.s. That take's a lot of money too.

The irony is staggering, though.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:52 PM
Baron009
Pro

Just change the domain name to myPorsche944s.com. Wouldn't that be satisfactory for all parties? I think it still would be a cool name.

Anyways cool site and sweet car!
Old 02-29-2004, 03:52 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just change the domain name to myPorsche944s.com. Wouldn't that be satisfactory for all parties? I think it still would be a cool name.
Nope, still has "Porsche" in the title, they still would be on his ***.

Did anybody also notice that Porsche was the only major automaker to NOT appear in Grand Turismo III? Because of the Porsche
*****, their cars only appear in the game / simulation as the Ruf variants and are referred to as "a major German automaker". Pathetic. Needlessly elitist.
I think EA might still have owned the exclusive rights to Porsches in videogames at that point. Ferrari and Lambo also do not appear in GT3. Porsches do appear in "NFS: Porsche Unleashed," Project Gotham 1 and 2, and other racing video games.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:04 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by panzer grey
Porsche should have used the German word for "rugged" or "offroad".
Mercedes beat them to it: Geländewagen.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Luis de Prat
Matt, perhaps it was the term "Porsche *****," which besides being in and of itself an oxymoron, is also politically incorrect at best in a forum like Rennlist.
I am with Luis on this one. I say we forget about the whole WWI and II. It was a bad time in world history. As a matter of fact I say we start a movement to ban any teachings of that time period in textbooks and schools world wide. We are America, the great and powerful. If we can't enforce a ban like that who can? We already force our way of life on everyone else in the world, why not just add that into our "master plan."

and you shouldn't speed. Save it for the track.

EDIT: Thats a joke by the way, just incase anyone decides to take it with any more than a grain of salt.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:36 PM
Fixn2xlr8
Bunny with a Mission
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

I like the idea of selling it to a **** site. It would be just what porsche deserves. Its one thing to bust someones *** for trying to make money off of their name but its a tribute site. It was put up by someone that loves their product. You would think they would be a little picky about who to shut down and who is just providing the company with endless supply of free marketing.

It would be a nice change if Porsche would just stick to building sports cars.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:44 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by Travis - sflraver
Tell them they can take you to court and force you to take it down or pay you $500 for the site so you can have funds to setup another personal site dedicated to your car.
If I remember correctly, they actually purchased most of the "Porsche" sites back when the crack down was going on.
Actually i would ask for quite a bit more. I would think more in the range of 5k or so. I would guess it costs Porsche thousands of dollars to even walk into court. Porsche can't pack up their lawyers and go into court cheaper than 5k, probably a lot more. I am guessin the lawyers working for porsche do not work cheap. I am going to ask my brother on this, he specializes in internet copyright/trademark law.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:52 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Karl2bdc
Actually i would ask for quite a bit more. I would think more in the range of 5k or so. I would guess it costs Porsche thousands of dollars to even walk into court. Porsche can't pack up their lawyers and go into court cheaper than 5k, probably a lot more. I am guessin the lawyers working for porsche do not work cheap. I am going to ask my brother on this, he specializes in internet copyright/trademark law.
That idea has one flaw. You had better hope he has NOTHING to lose and he lives in FL. If he goes and loses, they are going to want him to pay there court fees and lawyers. Then he has to go bankrupt and so on and so forth.
What I would do is work them up until the end when you are about to go to court, and if you do not have a good offer from them on the table by then, just comply. Then it never went to court and they cannot ask for the fees to be paid back.
Damn lawyers and there games... Michelle excluded.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:40 PM
icat
Race Car

I might be able to shed some light here. I have two web sites that could be deemed infringement by the lawyers at Porsche. The first is www.951motorsports.com and the second is www.carrerafarms.com - neither use the name Porsche. However, I also got a letter from the lawyers this week. Not for 951motorsports, but for Carrera Farms. The letter was well written, precise, and explained in detail their position. Included with the letter were trademark identifiers of the script used and the Carrera name.

The letter DID NOT ask me to remove my site, but it did inform me that I was not permitted to use the site in an automotive fashion. Since Carrera Farms is the name of my future equestrian facilities I am not in danger of incurring the wrath of the Porsche laywers. Frankly, I kinda felt honored that I got noticed. Plan on framing the letter and hanging it in the new garage.

I suspect that they conduct web searches every so often and send out letters to those who may be infringing on their trademarks. I have no problems or issues with this and feel strongly that this is their right. As someone mentioned, it appears numbers (as in 951) can not be trademarked – just leave Porsche out of it.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:51 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

They’re just coming after you because of the 44’s
Old 03-01-2004, 01:45 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by icat
As someone mentioned, it appears numbers (as in 951) can not be trademarked ? just leave Porsche out of it.
I'll bet Clark has a different perspective on it.

Remember Clark's 944 Garage?
Old 03-01-2004, 02:03 AM
car_slave
Pro

What about the genius that trademarked "2000" and made a mint off it
Old 03-01-2004, 02:22 AM
moreboost

i think numbers can be trademarked in certain situations. thats why the 911 is the 911 and not the 901. puegot had trademarked, if i remeber this correctly, on three digit numbers that started with 90X. i agree btw that this is nitpicky and stupid and it is not in porsches best intrest to give a loyal owner a hard time. but im sure they would also like to think the 924/44/68 series never existed. it has become apparent to me, and not just because of this crap, that porsche has lost some of its luster. after all, it takes a lot of work to build the most profitable car company in the world, and offer a 118,000 car without standard cruise control...

take care,
brian
Old 03-01-2004, 04:02 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

UDPRIDE- now you've done it... I've agreed w/quite a few things you've said over the last few years & my mood right now (& for the last few weeks, mostly b/c of this car, but also b/c of everyfu**ingthingelse right now, etc...) is FU**ING FOUL! I read you're response & I'm still trying to hold back a smile.... Thanks....

Dayton's not too far north- maybe we can get a Porsche group together one of these days IF we can ever get more than five people w/in range to have a running Porsche that are close enough & willing to be in on it...

Old 03-01-2004, 08:23 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually..

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/99...rsche.ent.idg/

Here is the important part..

"On June 8, 1999, the court dismissed Porsche's complaint. Among other things, the court found that the Federal Trademark Dilution Act (FTDA), under which Porsche sued, did not specifically permit in rem actions and, in fact, by strong implication, seemed not to allow them. The court went on to say that even if it construed the FTDA to allow in rem actions, there were definite constitutional problems with the statute if it was interpreted to affect the property of absent owners."

Quick Reply: Should my website be taken down ?