Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should my Web site come down?
Yes, It's a violation of Porsche's rights
34.15%
No, It's your personal website.
65.85%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Should my website be taken down ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 02:07 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What part of NC are you in?
Old 10-14-2004, 02:27 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legal Answers Available

If anyone wants more information on this subject, or wants real legal analysis, i suggest you check out Chilling Effects. It is a joint collaboration of multiple law schools (including my own: Univ of San Francisco, and Harvard/Stanford/George Washington, etc..) along with the EFF. I'm currently participating in a IP clinic and we regularly handle cases directly on point with this.

Basically the website allows you to send in C&D (cease & desist) letters you have received, and we annotate them with the relevant legal terms and definitions. Pages upon pages of FAQ's are available for you to browse/search to find answers to important legal questions.

Finally, my IP/Internet Justic Clinic also takes on ICANN, UDRP and ACPA Domain Name dispute cases. You can find more information at: USF IP/Internet Justice Clinic.

-Steven
Old 10-18-2004, 04:30 PM
PORSCHE924GTR
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche does not own the name "porsche944s". They own the words or phrase "porsche 944 s". Porsche944s is not a copyrighted word or phrase. Tell them to shove it.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:03 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PORSCHE924GTR
Porsche does not own the name "porsche944s". They own the words or phrase "porsche 944 s". Porsche944s is not a copyrighted word or phrase. Tell them to shove it.
They own "Porsche", which is part of that URL. Porsche has every right to police the use of their name as they see fit. It is understandable that they have to take an all or none approach, as much as it sucks. Yes it would be nice if they allowed enthusiasts like us to have sites with that name, but what if some **** site comes up that features some fugly **** star splayed on a Porsche hood? All the owner has to do is claim hes an enthusiast and boom, Porsche is stuck in a spot with their product being represented in an unprofessional way, yet having let a bunch of other people off the hook they have a problem.

I remember the first time I tried to go to Porsches site... I either mispelled it or something, and I got a **** site. Back then I was 10 or something, and I cant even remember if I was on my home connection, I dont think I was. Thats what Porsche is trying to prevent as much as they can. Just like Microsoft, just like every other major company that has made a name for itself. At the end of the day yes it sucks, but ce la vie.

Edit: And id rather Porsche put their money into R&D then them police and check every site with the word Porsche on it to see that it is an enthusiast's site, rather than **** or Porsche bashing or whatnot. Its prolly cheaper to have every site shut down.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:47 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Originally Posted by PORSCHE924GTR
They don't have to copyright the word or phrase, just trademark it.... Take an IP class.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:56 PM
Sasquatch
Instructor

Since Porsche started doing this a few years ago, I thought about somthing that might be fun. Take a bunch of photos of my car, specificaly the word PORSCHE and 944 from various parts around the car. Start a website like "mypersonalporsche.com" or some thing that they can not attack. Then, in the website, blast Porsche, do a buch of Porsche parodies, etc. But, in place of everywhere you would type the word PORSCHE, insert a small photo of the word PORSCHE on my personal car.

Now, what could they do? WHen I purchased the car, I purchased the right to do whatever I wanted to do with it. If I want to take photos of my car with nude women, men, goats, frogs or small aisian boys all over it, it is my will. If I want to post said photos on the internet, it is my right, since I own the car.

Wonder what they would do?
Old 10-19-2004, 05:01 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theedge
...but what if some **** site comes up that features some fugly **** star splayed on a Porsche hood?....

Hey man, just make sure all the female **** stars are HOT & we shoud have no problems....

Oh wait, Porsche didn't like the 944 series as much as the 911 series, so, you better make sure any 944-**** sites have HOT looking women, but, STILL are not as HOT as the ones on 911-**** sites... We'll have to make an order of Porsche hierarchy- the 914 is the real Poor-man's-Porsche, so, the 924 is next up? Then 944's, then 968's, then the 928s, then Boxsters..... but.... where do all the classic's fall anyway? I mean. 356's & Spyders (like Jame's Dean's, etc...)?

Old 10-19-2004, 11:53 AM
ckathens
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sasquatch
Now, what could they do? WHen I purchased the car, I purchased the right to do whatever I wanted to do with it. If I want to take photos of my car with nude women, men, goats, frogs or small aisian boys all over it, it is my will. If I want to post said photos on the internet, it is my right, since I own the car.

Wonder what they would do?
Your statement that "I purchased the right to do whatever I wanted to do with it" is not exactly true. If you take photos of your car w/ small asian boys all over it, that might be a form of product tarnishment. I haven't gotten that far in IP, but just thinking back to some of the introduction materials, i'm pretty sure that's correct. There are also certain product disparagement laws that might prohibit that. Think about this: every tiny little item you see in a new film, whether they show the logo or not, generally has to be approved by the manufacturer before it can be shown in a film. This is because the manufacturers will sue if they see their product being used in connection with something (in that case a film) that they believe tarnishes the image of the manufacturer or the product.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:52 PM
faithless
Pro

Your 944 has a nice home man! What goes upstairs?
Old 10-19-2004, 03:51 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Robby
Hey man, just make sure all the female **** stars are HOT & we shoud have no problems....

Oh wait, Porsche didn't like the 944 series as much as the 911 series, so, you better make sure any 944-**** sites have HOT looking women, but, STILL are not as HOT as the ones on 911-**** sites... We'll have to make an order of Porsche hierarchy- the 914 is the real Poor-man's-Porsche, so, the 924 is next up? Then 944's, then 968's, then the 928s, then Boxsters..... but.... where do all the classic's fall anyway? I mean. 356's & Spyders (like Jame's Dean's, etc...)?

It should be done in age order.....356's and spyders get the 60+ Mature page and the 944's get the milfs New cars get the barely 18 ones.... Feel free to delete this post....
Old 10-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

gotcha.... I KNEW there had to be a reasonable order.... but, hey- don't knock the older crowd... I mean... Kim Bassinger is 51... Susan Sarandon is ~55.... --->>> upside down & sideways my friend..... Age is only a # past 18..... course.... it's all relative to the individual, but....

But.... let's keep the "small Asian boys" OR ANY boys for that matter... Hell.... ANYONE UNDER 18 REGARDLESS of sex.... OUT of this part of the discussion thank you.... I'm starting to feel sick.... WHAT?? There is no emoticon for sick? oh well....

Quick Reply: Should my website be taken down ?