Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High idle and full service gas station woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 12:42 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default High idle and full service gas station woes

My first question, when i start my car up it idles around 1000rpm, then goes down to about 950 once warmed up (car is automatic). However after city and highway type driving, the car idles much higher, usualy around 1500 rpm. What is causing this? I blip the throttle and it goes back down to about a 1000, then slowly goes back up to the 1500 where it sits. I havent let the car idle like this longer than a minute as i noticed (and decided to check on it) before i had to goto work. Any ideas?

Just a rant i have about the guys who are pumping gas at the full service stations. Im used to being in NY, pump your own gas no matter what. State law in Jersey says an attendent must pump the gas for you. Normally the Mobil by my school the guys are very nice to me, always asking about my car. They however are the most expensive Mobil in the area. I went too a Mobil that is .25 cents cheaper at $1.75 for a fill up. The last time i went to this place i overall wasnt happy with the treatment of my car by guy pumping...just very rough on everything. To top that off he got the gas flap caught on the threads of the gas cap and screwed the damn thing on anyway. I went back today, guy took FOREVER to come over to me, and there were 2 other cars in the entire station filling up. I was ready to start pumping the gas myself. This time the guy must have left the friggin pump on as pulled it out of the filler neck, gas all over the rear quarter panel and it even collected a sizeable puddle in the gas bay. What the hell is this guy doing? Turn the damn thing off, let it drip off then remove. There was a steady stream of gasoline all over the ground leading right back into the stand. Talk about a firehazard. I used a spare bottle of water to wash everything off. I cant stand the way people treat your vehicle sometimes.

BAH!
Old 02-28-2004, 10:21 AM
DLarsen
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi,

If your stuck in a state thats requires an attendant to pump your gas; I would get out of the car, remove the gas cap and stand there watching the attendant pump the gas. If a particular gas station does a bad job of pumping gas (spilling gas), file a complaint with the state (not sure how or where). Then find another station.

The higher idle can be causing by some of the following items:

bad ICV - idle control valve -- sticking open??
vacuum hoses (around the intake manifold area) with cracks
bad throttle body idle switch
DME Sensor II -- reads the coolant temperature and provides input to the DME control which in turn provides enrichment inputs to the engine.

My guess its a vacuum line with a leak.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:23 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just started having the same idle problem myself, though I have a stick. I haven't tracked the problem down yet but I suspect it is a sticky throttle cable or return spring or something mechanical. Unlike you, if I blip the throttle the moror will stay down under 1000 RPM and not crawl back up.

Your gas pump jock is an easy solution - go to another station!
Old 02-28-2004, 10:37 AM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

See if your throttle cables need adjustment. An automatic has cables that run back to the transmission for kick-down. Also check the throttle stop screw adjustment.

Quick Reply: High idle and full service gas station woes