Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mystery insturment panel light?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004 | 11:07 PM
Mr. Avionics
Pro

Question mystery insturment panel light?

Was doing some panel diving the other day and I found a light socket with a burnt out bulb in it. It has one of the small wedge based bulbs like is in the headlight switch or heater control light sockets. All my panel lights are working or test when starting like they are supposed to, I initially thought it was the light from the headlight switch as it was hanging down in that vacinity, but no, the headlight switch light is in the wiring connector. I relplaced the headlight switch light and now it's OK. I put a new bulb in the mystery socket but it never comes on. Looking up I saw one wire coming from the connector to the insturment culuster but have not traced out the other wires yet. Wire colors are black with 2 yellow stripes and other plain black. The socket is plain black plastic and appears to fit into some kind of clip from the side, not fit into a hole like say the clock or oil pressure lamps do. Just wondering what this is and if any body else has found the mystery light. Car is an 83 FWIW. I have the wiring prints in the Haynes book but really havent got too indepth on tracing it out. Tired of looking at wiring diagrams after a day at the airport.

Thanks in advance all,
Bill
Old 02-28-2004 | 12:52 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Think its the check the OX sensor light. Seems the early 944's have this just hanging down if the instrument bezel doesn't have the receiver for it. It's one of the two round recesses at the top between the three large openings. Found one in a friends car when we cleaned the grounds.
Old 02-28-2004 | 03:07 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Oh, I thought those were idiot lights!

- Julie
Old 02-28-2004 | 08:05 AM
Mr. Avionics
Pro

SoCal,
Thanks, I think you hit the nail on the head. Will check to see if thats it. On my car those 2 ID10T lights are blank, unmarked, nada. thought they were just there for future use.
Bill
Old 02-28-2004 | 10:04 AM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know the 924 used the right spot for the blue, bright headlight indicator.

Quick Reply: mystery insturment panel light?