Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Project Gone Wild? ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 07:55 PM
Glenn R
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

P.S. The new house and garages are 15 minutes from Pitt Race.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:59 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
Looks great, just a suggestion to consider is rotate the rpm meter so 6500 rpm is at TDC or 0 degrees, a statement it is a race car and easier to see your at max rpm
check:

cruising near Monument Valley in the Nations
*gearing: blissful
**masking tape/crude sun screen for carbon/epoxy wheel

The following users liked this post:
vacuumnoise (12-05-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 10:48 AM
Glenn R
Instructor

Finally getting back to this project. The engine installation is almost complete. Just waiting for a few pieces of hardware to arrive. Same story for the rest of the car. I purchased a couple Kirkey seats but the mounting brackets are on back order. I want to get the seats with brackets located before some touch up paint on the interior. Then it will be on to the wiring, dashboard, doors and reinstalling the glass.

hollmatt (02-25-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 07:50 AM
Glenn R
Instructor

Finally making progress again. I've finished some of the little things remaining on the engine install, fabricated mounts for the oil cooler, installed the vacuum lines, bled the clutch and installed the starter, got the dashboard mostly wired installed the manual roof latches and last night I mounted the panel mirror.

Made a slight design change for the dash. Instead of fuses, I'm going with circuit breakers. I'm working on fabricating the panel for them now. More to come.

The following 2 users liked this post by Glenn R:
hollmatt (02-25-2021), Tiger03447 (02-28-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 01:04 PM
Glenn R
Instructor

While waiting for items needed to complete my dashboard to arrive, my most recent efforts have been around building mounts for the seats.

The Kirkey seat mounts will not bolt to the factory locations. And since I had metal fatigue failure at the rear mounts before, I wanted something stronger.

After several mock ups and adjusting the design I've got the passenger side done. (except paint)

I used 2 lengths of 3/16x4 steel plate for the seat to bolt to, connected with 2 pieces of 1/8x3/4 steel angle and welded the whole thing to the stock seat mounts, the center tunnel and the outside "frame". I welded nuts on the underside of the plates for the seat mount bolts to screw into.

I am using an 18.5" seat for the passenger/instructor seat which meant I had to narrow the Kirkey seat mounts to fit. That is why the bolt locations on each side are in a straight line. Just not enough room to offset them.

The plate with the hole in it, welded between the rear stock seat mounts, is the old anti-sub belt connection point (incorrect location). I will be adding another connection point in the right location.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:45 PM
Glenn R
Instructor

Big milestone tonight. I hooked up all the electrical connections, except the DME, and ran some tests. After fixing an issue with my design of the fan circuits and adding one connection I had forgotten, I retested everything and...

It all works!!

Tomorrow, I will connect the DME and do some more tests. Assuming no issues are found, I'll see if it will start.

hollmatt (04-09-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 02:17 PM
Glenn R
Instructor

Had a blast with this car last season. I took it to Mid-Ohio for memorial day weekend with NASA Great Lakes. Even with all the rain, I had a good time and realized this was the group that would make me a better driver and get me to wheel to wheel racing fastest.

I dictated the rest of the season to running their events. I advanced through the HPDE ranks and became a MSF Level 2 certified instructor along the way as well. I'm headed to competition school in March, then off to the races.

I purchased a Spec944 car from one of the NASA GL 944 Spec racers who is moving to a different class. I'll use that car for 944Spec racing.

This car will continue to be developed for endurance races. It needs a fire suppression system and window/cage nets in order to be legal. Those parts are on the shelf awaiting installation.

I am going to use this thread to document the continued development of this car. Stay tuned.

The following 3 users liked this post by Glenn R:
944Fest (aka Dan P) (12-01-2021), Tiger03447 (12-02-2021), vacuumnoise (12-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Winter Project Gone Wild? ...