Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel alignment questions/procedure

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 11:55 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel alignment questions/procedure

I'm not having much luck finding anyone around my area (south eastern, CT) who sounds confident that they can properly align a 944. As such, I'm trying to learn what needs to occur so I can at least point to the adjusters and describe the proper sequence to get things set properly (assuming I can find an alignment tech who will let me help). As I understand it, the rear wheels should be aligned first. Looking at my shop manual and studying my extra parts, I have found the toe and camber adjustments (and I have bought the toe adjustment tool). Conceptually, I can understand how the toe in is affected by lengthening/shortening the arm to the torsion bar. What is harder to understand is how camber is affected by what seems to be changing the shape of this same piece. It looks as if the camber adjustment makes the two piece joint more or less 'straight'. It seems to me this would also have the effect of lengthening/shortening the arm (and affecting toe) and it isn't very obvious how it affects camber. Anyone have a '944 alignment for dummies' guide? Anyway, if someone knows the proper sequence of adjustments rear to front, it would be much appreciated.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:08 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear suspension adjustment is the same as a the first A arm VW's. Not the settings but how it's adjusted. There is some compliance in the A-arms mounting bushing.

Front is the same as the VW Golf.

The amount of camber for the wheels is less than 1/16" over 15".

Getting someone to take the time to align front and back to center line is another thing altogether.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:30 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the details on NotJustPorsche.

details in sig !
Old 02-27-2004, 02:37 PM
97xray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can recommend a guy that would do it well. I'm in SouthEastern CT too, sort of. Anyway, the guys shop is down in the real South Eastern corner: North Stonington - does great work... not bad prices - weird attitude, but worth it!
Let me know by email if you want his number:
jonnyflyboy@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: Wheel alignment questions/procedure