Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AutoX Guru's - Koni shock settings and tire pressures?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 10:36 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tire pressure depends on a lot of variables, track temp and surface, the layout of the course and the ability of the driver are the big ones. Zoltan's advice to start a few pounds over stock is the best bet.
Shock settings also have some variables, I think the most important one is the course. On a tight technical course I'd still agree with Zoltan that you want the fronts a little softer than the rears. I have my rears set at half and only play with the fronts to balance the car, on this type of course I'll usually end up between 1/4 and 1/2 on the fronts. A course with bigger turns and longer straights OTOH, usually works well for me with the front equal to or even a little stiffer than the rears. If I find out who designed the course, I have a good idea how to set the shocks, Gilbert course =1/4, Szczesny Course =1/2, anyone else is in between.
Skip, we use the first run or two to learn the course and the next couple to play with the line to see what works best. Make adjustments between the 4th and 5th runs and try to drop a few seconds on each of the next few. We usually get 8 runs and the last one is the "bring it in first or bring it in broke" run.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:45 AM
Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Z-man
NOTE: The following post is strickly smack talk. There is absolutely NO good autox setup advice given here. Hey, I gotta put Adrial in his place! Also: Adrial and I are good friends, and we mean no harm, but don't try this at home, kids!

Well, it's about TIME you got around me! For the uninformed, at the Zone 1 autox, I ran in the STOCK P09 class, while Adrial ran in the MODIFIED M03 class, where basically it's anything goes. And speaking of coughing, do you remember that I was fighting a cold and laryngitis during the Zone 1 event?

Adrial also fails to mention the other 2003 autocrosses where we met: April 27, May 31st, July 13th, and September 6th: I was faster than him at ALL of these! I was running in stock class, while he was running in the modified class.

Zone 1 was at Tobay beach, Adrial's home turf, so he did have the home field advantage. (I haven't learned to autocross in sand yet!)

Looks like 2004's gonna be a fun season! Bring it on, Ariel! (Please note deliberate misspelling of the name!) I'm calling you out, Mr. "Fancy Pants" Adrial. Will your car be put together by the April 18th autox at Meadowlands? BRING IT ON, boy!

So, who's givin' who the smackdown, eh?
-Z-man.

PS: Can you feel the love? Hehe...

That's alot of smack from someone who gets routinely whipped by a pair of stock, underpowered 83s.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:58 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by Ken
That's alot of smack from someone who gets routinely whipped by a pair of stock, underpowered 83s.
You stay outta this, Ken: this is solely S2/Turbo smack talk we're doing here!

BTW: will you still be running in S3 this year Ken? Maybe I need to 'downgrade' to a 924S or something so I can go head to head with ya.

Geez, I get the feeling I'm getting picked on!
-Z.

PS: I'm NOT feelin' the love now....
Old 02-25-2004, 12:04 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Z,
Come back to the sandbox! I got a can of whuuparse in the mullet with your name on it!! Teach you to mispronounce the name of my "hotchiks" strut brace.

I'm too PW'd to cross the bridge to you and she who must be obeyed doesn't want to race the mullet. she is afraid of "all that power".

how ya feeling now?

BTW, that chart is nice. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:26 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Hehe..
Tom: "all that power" and "none of that turning ability." I ain't afraid of no stinkin' girlie-girl Z-28!

All kidding aside, you heard it here first: the revised NNJR autox schedule for Meadowlands:
April 18 (Sun)
April 24 (Sat)
May 2 (Tryautoton)
May 9 (Mom's Day - moms drive for free!)
May 16 (Car Control Clinic)
July 11 (Sun)
July 18 (Sun)

More events at the PNC Arts center are in the works.

Oh, and Magown, my apologies for hijacking this thread!
-Zoltan.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:12 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Z,
Seriously, don't knock the turning ability of the Z28. I researched what I have. The PO put in the WS6/SS stage 2 "handling" (ha ) package GM offered through SLP plus some other parts. The only problem my car had was the valving of the rear bilsteins (he used SLP springs and Doug Rippie revalved Bilsteins - relatively stiffer springs plus relatively stiffer shocks does not a good combo make) which was pretty much remedied by switching from 17" to 16" wheels. With the Hawk brake pads (in the back seat right now) installed, I should be able to stop too.

I think Sam Strano runs his Z28 in the stock class with a similar suspension to mine. He seems to take home a lot of trophies.

I did a search of metro's results, and the few Z28s that ran over the last few years dusted most of the 944s. I'm assuming the drivers had vision in both eyes to compensate for the width and inability to know where the front ends.

There is an autox at Tobay 3/28. Wanna freeze?
Old 02-25-2004, 01:34 PM
Dave
Race Car

You stay outta this, Ken: this is solely S2/Turbo smack talk we're doing here!

Ken, I've gotta side with Zontan on this one! Traditionally the S3 and S7 classes are NOT supposed to be compared to each other. I think this has something to do with the fact that S3 has been consistantly faster than S7 for as long as I can remember.

I just looked at that schedule for the first time about an hour ago, WOOHOO! 5 events in a month! This is on top of Lime Rock 1 at the begining of April, Maybe this year Ican get in enough seat time to be competitive again

Tom, they don't make a tire compound suitable for Tobay in March...well, maybe my Artic Alpins!
Old 02-25-2004, 02:12 PM
Ken
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure if I'm going to stay in S3 or not. I have a new toy to play with that would end up in M1 with Adrial and Dave.

More Pics

Or maybe I'll just keep her to the track and stick with S3. BTW, anyone want to buy a Subaru?
Old 02-25-2004, 02:14 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,377 Likes on 506 Posts

Just so there are no misunderstandings......I will be in the M4 class and will be in last place on the 28th of march....please return to the smackdowns....
Old 02-25-2004, 02:51 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Ken,
Please provide details on that turbo! Cool car! Who did you buy it from?

But a little advice: have you done any DE's yet? If not, I think you may be better off doing a couple with your n/a first, before you unleash that beast on the track! Do autocrosses with it to get an idea of what it can do!

Tom: blah blah blah....Doug Ripper (Rutt's Hutt anyone?!) Blah blah blah... SLP pistons..... blah..... Blisteins.....blah...stage 2 handling.....blah blah blah.... How much of your suspension are actually stock Camaro parts? Don't be tellin' me that a Camaro turns well! Metro's 3-28 Tobay beach freeze-cross is a week before NNJR's Lime Rock DE: I think she who must be obeyed wouldn't like it if I did both!
Dave:
Ken, I've gotta side with Zontan on this one! Traditionally the S3 and S7 classes are NOT supposed to be compared to each other. I think this has something to do with the fact that S3 has been consistantly faster than S7 for as long as I can remember.
Was that an under-handed sneakly little slam there?

-Zoltan.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:54 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by fty
Just so there are no misunderstandings......I will be in the M4 class and will be in last place on the 28th of march....please return to the smackdowns....
fty: while your humbleness is inspiring, you should aim a bit higher! Beat Adrial on March 28th. I know it won't be much more than taking last place in M4 class, but it's not a lofty goal, either!

Yeah, I'm feelin' the love!
-Z.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:28 PM
Ken
Burning Brakes

Z-man et al, Here's the details straight from the ad:

1986 944 turbo race/track car 2.5 liter turbo full race/track car. 0 miles since rebuild by Rennwerke Porsche. 340 rwhp at 14 lbs boost. Car weighs 2500 lbs. Lindsey stage 3 head (titanium retainers, large valves, extensive porting), Lindsey stage 5 intercooler, Webcam race cam, Technodyne AN fuel lines, Lindsey intake manifold (extremely nice), Electromotive TEC II stand alone, Total Seal piston rings, Pauter rods, aluminum flywheel, cup clutch, ported throttle body, drilled custom worked crank, Lindsey super engine mounts, manual steering rack, 968 brake ducts, big reds (Pagid orange pads), Fabcar a arms, Garret custom turbo, full racers edge solid bushings, and caster blocks, full coilover custom valved Bilsteins (off of Canadian cup racer), torsion bar delete, camber plates, large sways, 75% LSD, 8 point welded cage with Nascar bar (piece of art work), Recaro, Tial wastegate, 18" race version CCW and Hoosiers, aluminum custom dash, Lexan hatch and front windshield, adjustable 968 RS spoiler, fiberglass hood with clips, fiberglass custom rear end, 968 mirrors and door handles, Momo competition steering wheel with quick release, HKS IV elect. boost controller, crank case catch can, SFR full exhaust, 3" custom downpipe, godzilla BOV, Tilton adj brake bias, front splitter, Kokeln large oil cooler kit, custom oil pan baffles and pickup collar, Guru metal head gasket. Pistons, intake manifold, head, headers, and crosssover are all ceramic coated. This car has incredible potential! Spares included: Kokeln air/oil separator, light weight battery.

I purchased it from Andy Albert(great guy). I had initially talked to him becuase I was looking at picking up a trailer to haul the 83 to track events. One thing lead to another and I ended up buying the trailer, along with the car on top!

I did one DE last year at The Glen, the October event, in the 83. I'm very unsure as to what to do this year. I'd like to autocross the turbo so that I can get expierience in it. But I've still got the 83 and I'm itching to get back into the battle with Jim Roca. But I have to sell either the Subaru or the 83 to pay for the turbo. I'm leaning towards selling the Subaru and keeping the 83 as a daily driver/autocross car and using the Turbo as a track car(it's not street legal). I'm guessing the Turbo probably won't be great at autocross as well. It's set up to run in the PCA GT3 class.

I signed up for Lime Rock with Conn. Valley on March 27th and 28th. Then with NNJR at Lime Rock on April 1 and 2, then Pocono April 10 and 11. If I can survive those weekends in the Turbo, I'll be good.

(I'm going to post a new thread so we can stop this massive highjack!)
Old 02-25-2004, 03:31 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Tom: ... How much of your suspension are actually stock Camaro parts? ...
Was that an under-handed sneakly little slam there?
-Zoltan.
The springs and i think pahnard are the stock optional package on the SS Camaros. The shocks are the same bilsteins from the SS package but valved differently. the sways are from the standard SS package.

The strut tower brace and lower control arms are Hotchkis, but I think they are about the same (possibly just rebadged like my cold air intake which is an expensive callaway but is the same as the inexpensive/cheap moroso but the callaway logo looks cool) as the optional SLP parts from the SS camaros.

From what I read starting in '96 GM sent the cars to SLPs "factory" in NJ where parts were replaced, the car was then shipped to the dealer. In typical GM fashion, no two cars are the same. Some had motor/exhaust mods, some susp mods, some both. In 93 these "add ons" werent available. I basically have a 93 drivetrain modded to put out close to 97 Z28 power and a 96/97 SS optional suspension. But, since the stuff wasn't available from the factory in 93, I would probably be put in modified in SCCA.

more mullet info than I ever wanted to know.

Metro told me I cant take the mullet to DEs, and it seems like the guys in the other organizations that run F bodies take their driving/cars way too seriously for me, so until i find another P car to use as a toy its autox only for me.

Dave, It doesn't matter what compound you have unless you have a vacuum in front to suck up all the sand and crushed shells.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:35 PM
Dave
Race Car

Nice Ken!!!
Old 02-25-2004, 03:38 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Ken: that's some serious hardware. I really think you should do a couple of more DE's with the n/a before playing with the turbo no the track: a car like that can hide a multitude of mistakes, where if you're not perfect in a corner with the n/a, you'll definately see it!

-Z.

And the hijacked thread seems to have been hijacked again! (What, first we were diverting to Cuba, now Afganistan?!? )

Quick Reply: AutoX Guru's - Koni shock settings and tire pressures?