Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 S2 Shifter Knob removal - help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 07:27 AM
Swanson11
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 944 S2 Shifter **** removal - help needed

To remove the ****, do I just pull it off? Every thread, picture or video I've seen describes or shows a retainer c-clip at the bottom of the **** that is to be removed first, then the **** pulls off. Does the S2 have something like a clip that retains the ****? Mine does not (see picture). I've (so far) not been able to get it to slide or loosen despite pulling pretty hard on it. Advice from the team?

Old 09-25-2019, 09:36 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

This is the shifter clip on my 1986 944 if it helps though I don’t know enough about the S2 to say it’s the same, and yes it does just pull off.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:11 AM
No Lag
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

That there **** don’t look right!
some one has modified it. Probably glued on!
Old 09-25-2019, 12:17 PM
Swanson11
Advanced

I just confirmed with PO that he did have his mechanic replace the shift boot, so its likely this is aftermarket, possibly glued on! Guess I'm going to need to go shopping.... who wants to sell me their ****?
Old 09-25-2019, 12:43 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 523 Posts

On my '91, the **** looks exactly the same, even down to the square bushing thing that sits on the curve of the lever. I also looked and looked to find the circlip and couldn't; I don't think our cars have them. I also could not remove the handle from the lever and agree with what's above, that it was glued on at some point. Seeing that yours looks exactly the same as mine (though I couldn't remove the leather on mine to the extend you did) make me wonder if it's not a factory process.

I'll be interested to hear what others say.

Cheers
Old 09-25-2019, 01:04 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
On my '91, the **** looks exactly the same, even down to the square bushing thing that sits on the curve of the lever. I also looked and looked to find the circlip and couldn't; I don't think our cars have them. I also could not remove the handle from the lever and agree with what's above, that it was glued on at some point. Seeing that yours looks exactly the same as mine (though I couldn't remove the leather on mine to the extend you did) make me wonder if it's not a factory process.

I'll be interested to hear what others say.

Cheers

You may be on to something, although PET isn’t clear it does show two types. #3 is what I have on my 86 944 and it seems like #3A is fitted to cars with leather sports (30mm hub), leather 363mm or leather 380mm steering wheels. Maybe #3A was the only one that carried over to the S2 as it was real leather as opposed the #3 leatherette version.

Old 09-25-2019, 05:24 PM
Swanson11
Advanced

Very interesting. It did have the leather boot originally. Anyway, as said above it’s stuck on tight as heck. Any tips on pulling it off? 🤔

Originally Posted by MAGK944
You may be on to something, although PET isn’t clear it does show two types. #3 is what I have on my 86 944 and it seems like #3A is fitted to cars with leather sports (30mm hub), leather 363mm or leather 380mm steering wheels. Maybe #3A was the only one that carried over to the S2 as it was real leather as opposed the #3 leatherette version.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:20 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 152 Posts

What can you see from the top? The large portion definitely has to come off. If you removed the shift pattern, don't recall right now, but you may be able to seen down in from that direction. Either way, it will need to come off. Might try a razor knife and split it down the back side, then you might be able to preserve by gluing piece back together once it's off. The dampers should definitely be inside, so the clip may be buried up inside, preventing you from pulling it off.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:06 PM
Swanson11
Advanced

Got it off prying from the bottom. Still, interesting to know that there are more than one kind of shift ****.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:29 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Swanson11
Got it off prying from the bottom. Still, interesting to know that there are more than one kind of shift ****.
That may not be the case, like I said PET isn’t clear on that. Although it shows two shift ***** it only differentiates them by the material they are covered with, so they may be the same underneath and it could be simply that your clip was missing. Be nice to get confirmation though.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:49 PM
No Lag
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Well mine is a 91 and didn’t look like that one! Had a clip on the end. Replaced the leather with the kit from only944.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:07 PM
duffman349
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi swanson, I noticed in your picture that the black anti vibration sleeve that is supposed to be inside of the shifter **** is crushed between the bottom of the **** and the curve of the shifter arm. If you manage to get your **** off I recommend looking to see if the black sleeve can fit inside of the ****. that would be a surefire tell in my eyes as to whether or not it is a factory approved replacement that was installed incorrectly or a cheap aftermarket solution.

Black rubber anti vibration sleeve outlined in red should be inside of the shifter **** where the green box is illustrated
Old 09-26-2019, 07:51 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

And while you're at it, why not have a look at the bolt? I did this recently as the shifter was hitting the retaining wall when using reverse thanks to a worn one. While irina's is conical at one end mine had taken on this shape at both ends. I cut a piece from an old scissor jack lever to replace the offending piece after grinding and punching out the original. My air cut-off saw made the new home for the circlip easy-peasy. Needless to say, the shifting is many much more smoother.

Irina25661 has posted a how-to video for replacing/repairing the gear shift lever including dealing with the spring clip holding it in place. You can see it here:

Only944 3D prints replacement bushings in various colours (very important...lol). You can get them directly or on eBay.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:18 AM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 523 Posts

duffman: My '91 has the same placement of the anti-vibration sleeve. It's possible that they just end up at that point on the lever over time but I don't think that it's an aftermarket thing. I was never able to get the rubber boot off the lever so I'm interested to hear from swanson if there's a space for it in his boot.

Following up on what curtisr said, the other thing you can do to keep things smooth is install thrust bearings (needle roller type or oil impregnated) around the bolt assembly. I don't have the RL link for where I learned about that but it's bound to be in one of the many clutch related threads that I studied. I can look around if you're interested but it's also a pretty straightforward thing to do so I don't know how much guidance you'd need for it.

Quick Reply: 944 S2 Shifter Knob removal - help needed