Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder out-of-round...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 11:18 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 492 Posts
Default Cylinder out-of-round...

Looking for thoughts and experiences here.
We know alusil can't be bored/honed/paste-lapped properly by just anyone - takes certain equipment and technique to do it right. Rare to find a shop that can do it without shipping the block out.
And if you do have a shop, oversize pistons (Wossner) are $650.00 minimum a set.

I have a 1987 944S block with something around 120,000 miles that ran great before being pulled. Pistons, rods, crank are all very good shape and in spec.
However the smooth, clean bores (group 1) measure out of round by ~0.038mm, almost twice the "wear spec" from the WSM.

Really didn't want to spend all that much money over a standard rebuild on this but now I have a dilemma.
Purely a street engine, will be driven a few times a month as a toy. Plan was eventually to try some boost on this build (944S rods are being swapped for worked 951 rods).

1) Just put new rings in and hope for the best. Might use some more oil than normal or be a little low on compression but it should still run OK.
2) Find someone semi-local who can prep the alusil bores for the next oversize and get pistons (~$1000 or more all-in)
3) Sleeve the block back to standard, and find rings that will work. My local machine shop quoted almost $1000 parts+labor to do the sleeving.

Has anybody run into this situation, and just ring'd it and hit the road? Or will that lead to grief and certain death?
Old 09-13-2019, 11:58 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

I am curious if the ovalness changes with the head torqued.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:22 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 414 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
Ditto!
That's ~.0015", I measured a brand new LS7 block (torque plate honed from the factory), found the cylinders oval by .0005"
If it wasn't an all-out motor, I might be tempted to run it...
I'll bet most back yard rebuilds have cylinders wayyyyyy worse than that, and no one can ever tell.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:23 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

It's possible, though in all the reading I've done I've never once heard it mentioned.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:29 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Looking for thoughts and experiences here.
We know alusil can't be bored/honed/paste-lapped properly by just anyone - takes certain equipment and technique to do it right. Rare to find a shop that can do it without shipping the block out.
And if you do have a shop, oversize pistons (Wossner) are $650.00 minimum a set.

I have a 1987 944S block with something around 120,000 miles that ran great before being pulled. Pistons, rods, crank are all very good shape and in spec.
However the smooth, clean bores (group 1) measure out of round by ~0.038mm, almost twice the "wear spec" from the WSM.

Really didn't want to spend all that much money over a standard rebuild on this but now I have a dilemma.
Purely a street engine, will be driven a few times a month as a toy. Plan was eventually to try some boost on this build (944S rods are being swapped for worked 951 rods).

1) Just put new rings in and hope for the best. Might use some more oil than normal or be a little low on compression but it should still run OK.
2) Find someone semi-local who can prep the alusil bores for the next oversize and get pistons (~$1000 or more all-in)
3) Sleeve the block back to standard, and find rings that will work. My local machine shop quoted almost $1000 parts+labor to do the sleeving.

Has anybody run into this situation, and just ring'd it and hit the road? Or will that lead to grief and certain death?
Considering all the work involved in pulling it apart and getting it back together correctly, I'd leave nothing to chance. Leave it in pieces while you get the funds together to do the very best job you can.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:43 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tempest411
It's possible, though in all the reading I've done I've never once heard it mentioned.
WSM does talk about having the girdle on and torqued but not the head.
I had the girdle on and "snug" but not torqued to spec, the block castings were just screwed together to get it all cleaned at once.
But there's a definite ridge at the top worn into the alusil from the rings cutting below that.

Funny thing is the curse of alusil for all its wonder...0.0015" or so is still within tolerance if this were a typical iron block.

Last edited by V2Rocket; 09-13-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:57 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

NO

Coming from a background in building 350 chevy engines we ALWAYS used a torque plate when we honed an engine. When I built my 44 engine I talked with several engine builders and they said, not needed. I called BS My engine was apart so I decided to see for myself... I carefully measured the bores and made notes. Then I installed the head with a head gasket and measured the bores in the same relative spots. (measured from underneath with no rotating assembly in) The results proved that torqueing the head on had no effect on the roundness of the bores.. any deviation in the numbers was so miniscule that making / purchasing a torque plate would have been a total wasted of money.

As for the issue in this thread.. Well, what risk are you taking? If it doesn't work and the engine smokes Then you are out all the labor and gaskets... Sure its a gamble and nobody can say for sure if it will work or not.. Only you can answer the question if it is worth it or not.. I just did a block (alu-sil) and the tooling from sunned cost about 600 bucks and I did it myself using a friend of mines sunnen CK-10 honing machine.. I have enough material to do like 20 blocks... So, I have three other engines I will build and the stuff has paid for itself..
Old 09-14-2019, 10:23 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Option 4) you shoulda took the low CR 16V Wossner set and fresh block bored/honed/decked/ported precisely for these pistons.

I even knew someone who woulda carried them up to you, freight free, in the trunk of his personal car.

Needless to say, I done been and gone.....

T
Old 09-14-2019, 10:56 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Option 4) you shoulda took the low CR 16V Wossner set and fresh block bored/honed/decked/ported precisely for these pistons.

I even knew someone who woulda carried them up to you, freight free, in the trunk of his personal car.

Needless to say, I done been and gone.....

T
At this point i might just take you up on those parts.

I guess i was waiting for you to say you made it to town i was on church/5th st 3 days last week, lol.

Maybe I'll have to roadtrip your way, or make the UPS guy earn his wage hustling the 60lb block around.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:03 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
At this point i might just take you up on those parts.

I guess i was waiting for you to say you made it to town i was on church/5th st 3 days last week, lol.

Maybe I'll have to roadtrip your way, or make the UPS guy earn his wage hustling the 60lb block around.
Then I walked past you.
I was all over up and down 3rd, 4th and 5th, all the way from Union down to Korean's.
My hotel was basically on 4th and Church, 1 hotel down off the corner.

It's a bout a 5 hr drive to Hot Springs, I could be easily coaxed to bring the stuff at least that far, since I'm 99% sure headed back out in a couple weeks (Columbus day weekend).
You should come hang out, your wife would love the spas.

http://quapawbaths.com/

Cool town, a lot to do, bars everywhere, good good food.
I walked a 3/4 acre lot just south of town, already flat enough to build on.
On a ridge on a peninsula jutting out into Lake Hamilton.
Not lakefront, but lake view.
$10,400.

A lot that size where I live is $40k.

T

Quick Reply: Cylinder out-of-round...