Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harvey's Half Lap of America - The Long Thread and Final Update!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 02:13 PM
tc944
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Harvey,

I will be at Gingerman on the 12th. Looking forward to meeting you. I’ll be in a dark blue 944.

Todd
Old 09-01-2019, 08:27 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 444 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by tc944
Hey Harvey,

I will be at Gingerman on the 12th. Looking forward to meeting you. I’ll be in a dark blue 944.

Todd
Sounds great Todd!
Old 09-01-2019, 10:11 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,420 Likes on 613 Posts

Hi Harvey

You and I corresponded when you initially contacted ARPCA about our Mid-Oh event.

Your itinerary looks like fun! Too bad you couldn’t work in an event at PittRace. It’s worth a stop and you’ve got it “surrounded”.

I’ll see you at registration most likely and the driver meetings most definitely. Don’t hesitate to reach out! See you at Mid-Oh!

PM sent.
ARPCA Track co-Chair
Old 09-03-2019, 08:54 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

HI Carol,
Pitt Race was on my list and Chin was running there. The same weekend that they were running at the Corvette Museum track. I decided to go with NCM, as it was more on the way from my aunt's house in IL and home. Wish I could do both but didn't work out
Old 09-04-2019, 08:29 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Watkins Glen International Raceway

After a leisurely 2 day tow from NC, I arrived at Watkins Glen International (WGI). This, my first event of the trip, was with Chin Trackdays. Unusual for me, it was a Monday/Tuesday event, with Monday of course being Labor Day. A lot of people have been to this track but for me it was a first. Here are a few impressions:

-Located on top of a hill, they should add a scenic overlook to Turn 1 so drivers can stop and admire the view!
-There is a lot of elevation change throughout the lap, which is really nice.
-This is a great track for my low powered 944, as there are a minimum of straightaways and lots of corners.
-Between the GT3's and Corvettes, my arm is worn out from giving point bys. Let's face it, my arm is worn out from pointing by little fiesty Miatas and such. And everything in between.
-The arrangement of the facilities inside the track feels like it was organized by a psycotic 3 year old.
-I purchased a raffle ticket for a 328 Ferrari, to benefit the racing museum in town. Prepare to be very envious of me when I win.

Because my trip has a total of 10 days on track, I am treating each day as an endurance race, rather than an all out sprint. I was running about 0.8 most of the time and was undoubtably one of the slowest cars on track. Whatever, I just get the Kuhmo street tires singing in the curves and sit back and enjoy the ride.

I did have one minor mechanical issue. The coolant hose that goes from the pressure tank to the top of the radiator somehow lowered itself onto the crankshaft pulley and severed itself. Fortunately one of my pit mates spotted the coolant leak (it was just a pinhole at that point). I made a quick run to a local hardware store, got a pipe nipple and 2 hoses clamps, and was back in business in time to make my next session. Could have been much worse!!!

Old 09-07-2019, 12:44 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 387 Posts

awesome. I am envious of your trip. I gotta do something similar soon. I love Watkins Glen. Almost as much as I love Mosport. Not sure what you mean by the facilities being designed by 3 year old? the layout is a bit confusing but it works with the track, and IMO the facilities are top notch including the garage and the grandstands (great for photos and video).
Old 09-07-2019, 07:44 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

I mainly mean the pit area is pretty chopped up with a lot of fencing, rather than being one large open area. I had no trouble with the grandstands. Frankly, it was kind of cool, since I have never done a DE at a track with grandstands. Kind of like a Little League ballplayer getting to play in a Major League stadium

Just finished my first day at Mid-Ohio.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:00 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

Harvey, strange description of the Glen. In a low power car like the 944, the Glen is mostly straights, not corners!
Old 09-08-2019, 08:00 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 272 Posts

Harvey stayed 2 more days at WGI and accepted the offer to be my crew member. I have no crew members, because I relocated to eastern New York state for summers, and my contacts here are not interested in auto racing.

Harvey was a big asset in taking tire temperatures simultaneously with tire pressures after hot laps. He also provide "sage" advice.

Bottom line, the tire temperature data showed the front shock rebound was too hard and some corner tire pressures were too high.

The outcome was lowering my previous best lap time at this SVRA event by 5 seconds.

Harvey, thank you👍😃🌋
The following 2 users liked this post by T&T Racing:
944Fest (aka Dan P) (09-09-2019), SeaCay (09-27-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 03:16 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

Great story about shaving 5 seconds. I have to assume the knowledge gained is going to translate to quicker times at all the tracks! This is what I love about Rennlist.

WG is and probably always be my fav track. Those grandstands, armco, and crazy fast layout up and down is SO awesome. Really, to run on a Nascar road course, and then add the boot (what a great section!) cause the Nascar brutes aren't agile or brave enough to do it! Spend a day or two in the town, where the old track was held- drive the original road course they used. OMG that hill down into a sharp turn back in to town must have been insane. The grave markers along the old course where great drivers died. About 300 yards past the kink. Yea, no doubt. That open car with no real cage... when men were men. Then take a hike up the gorge. Words fail me there. Stay at the Lodge, see the bar, where the greats partied after winning races!
Old 09-09-2019, 10:28 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
Great story about shaving 5 seconds. I have to assume the knowledge gained is going to translate to quicker times at all the tracks! This is what I love about Rennlist.

WG is and probably always be my fav track. Those grandstands, armco, and crazy fast layout up and down is SO awesome. Really, to run on a Nascar road course, and then add the boot (what a great section!) cause the Nascar brutes aren't agile or brave enough to do it! Spend a day or two in the town, where the old track was held- drive the original road course they used. OMG that hill down into a sharp turn back in to town must have been insane. The grave markers along the old course where great drivers died. About 300 yards past the kink. Yea, no doubt. That open car with no real cage... when men were men. Then take a hike up the gorge. Words fail me there. Stay at the Lodge, see the bar, where the greats partied after winning races!
+1. I took Harvey for one lap on the old course with my Chevy 3500 Dually. We came up behind a Porsche Boxster on the downhill after the railroad tracks, and the driver started to slow for curves descending into the left hander prior to the right hander onto Franklin Street.

Other things to do in Watkins Glen is to visit the International Motor Racing Research Center, the only facility in the world archiving auto racing history, on Decatur Street and walk Franklin Street on both side to visit and read their stone monument placed in the bricks honoring those Inducted into the Walk of Fame, like Mark Donohue, Bobby Allison, Mario Andretti, and locals like Warren Agor, Tex Hopkins, the iconic starter who waving the green and checkered flag by jumping in the air on the racing surface.

Lots of history. Take the time to be a spectator or participant in the annual Sports Vintage Racing Association Grand Prix every September after Labor Day.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:45 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

<Harvey, strange description of the Glen. In a low power car like the 944, the Glen is mostly straights, not corners>
My home track, VIR, is my standard of comparison. It has an extremely long back straight and the pit straight, which are pretty boring in my car. So I tend to like tracks with more corners and shorter straights.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:01 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Tom, it was great working as your pit crew. I learned a lot from our tire temperature/pressure testing. I may have to find a crewmember for my next serious VIR outing!
Old 09-10-2019, 10:06 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

MId-Ohio

So I have now completed my track weekend at Mid-Ohio. First let me say, the Allegheny Region of PCA put on a very nice event. As a newbie, I received sufficient "hand holding" from organizer Carol Neal and my coach Tom Mueller. Tom and I were able to get out on the track late Friday in his 944 Turbo S to do some very helpful familiarization laps. Within a couple of sessions on Saturday I was feeling confident about the track. ARPCA invests in some quality stickers and free hats. No shoe polish numbers in sight. Also the Friday night track walk was very beneficial. The car did have a weird case of rough running all through the rev range after I pulled it off the trailer. I was getting pretty panicked when it suddenly cleared up. I don't like random issues with cars but am keeping my fingers crossed. I was able to meet DaddyGlen. I'll let him make the detailed post but unfortunately his weekend did not go well.

Mid-Ohio Notes
-The tightest twistiest course yet in my trip. It is not as high speed and flowing as Watkins Glen but, that said, the back section starting at Madness is a lot of fun with almost constant steering inputs required.
-Lots of elevation change.
-A scenic setting in the country and close to a real town (Lexington). Pretty close to a major interstate.
-Was fortunate to not have to drive on a wet track because as we found on our Friday night track walk, this track is very slippery when wet.
-The track could use a repave but then again, like Sebring, the roughness gives it character and maybe will chasten those folks who have gone with very high spring rates and shock settings.

My obligatory photo follows. So at both Watkins Glen and Mid-Ohio, it is very hard to find signage with the actual track name on it. Almost every possible surface on the tracks that has signage is used for paid advertising.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:54 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

Have fun, but stay off the walls, otherwise we'll have to call you Harvey Wallbanger.

Quick Reply: Harvey's Half Lap of America - The Long Thread and Final Update!