Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Purists?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 01:36 AM
starr944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Purists?

Just curious, and I certainly don't want to offend anyone - Are there any "purists" here who prefer an all-stock, no-mods 944?

Reason I ask? When I was an MG owner, I was blown away by how **** those guys were. They'd rather see an undercarriage with 30 years worth of crud versus a freshly painted one. God forbid you modified these cars in any way!

I've always prefered tasteful mods that enhance but not overwhelm the look of the stock car. I'm sort of stuck in between with my 944. I'm a sucker for big rims, fat brakes, subtle interior mods, and an overall clean look. But, there's a huge side of me that would like to keep her stock - completely.

In my humble opinion, the 944 should maintain a rice free diet if possible. Then again, some think 18" wheels and a pedal set (even ones at $200+) is bordering on rice. Some cars, I must admit, look pretty sweet riced out. I just can't see the 944 with a Universal Bolt-On Wing.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Old 02-21-2004, 02:31 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Personally, I def live by the motto "friends don't let friends drive stock." I feel that no car out there is perfect from the factory (except a handful... McLaren, Enzo, CGT, EB110, Shelby Cobra - 427), and certain aftermarket parts are wonderful additions! Of course, they do have to be tasteful, and IMO most aftermarket parts are ****. But those that aren't **** should be exploited to the fullest! Pedals aren't rice at all, neither are 18" wheels if they aren't gaudius-to-the-maximus. I think very large chrome wheels that actually take away from the performance of a car detract from the car's purpose and generally look damn ugly! 18" is a good size though, no complaints there... however on the one 944 that I saw with 19's... was downright nasty! Chrome 19's and rubberband tires look very ricey on these cars.

MGs are a whole different story... they are classic cars (well some are, at least). Trying to maintain a perfectly stock car that is considered a classic is def good... if some rich guy went to Barret Jackson and bought a mint condition Cobra for a kool half-mil and then put a different engine in, I would personally track him down and bitchslap him... Ok, well maybe not, but you get my point!

MGs though?? Ehh, I don't know... depends on the model for me. Some I would mod, some I would restore and keep bone stock... that's if I ever even bought one, though!
Old 02-21-2004, 03:00 AM
bloodraven
Race Car

i would love to have an mg...i just can't find one I could afford...
Old 02-21-2004, 03:02 AM
bloodraven
Race Car

oh...and to respond to your post...

I think that mods on some cars look good (i.e. supra, rx7). I think that with the 944 and 951, the A.I.R. frotn splitter looks good, and it adds to the personality of the car. The 968 adjustable wing looks great too...i love the custom interiors...I like more modern, fururistic type cars...so of course I want a more updated type interior...
Old 02-21-2004, 03:03 AM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Default Re: Any Purists?

Originally posted by starr944
Just curious, and I certainly don't want to offend anyone - Are there any "purists" here who prefer an all-stock, no-mods 944?
Reason I ask? When I was an MG owner, I was blown away by how **** those guys were. They'd rather see an undercarriage with 30 years worth of crud versus a freshly painted one. God forbid you modified these cars in any way!
Well MG cars are funny things to deal with. True they are traditional classics which should be preserved in original form. However almost all would require by now full restoration due to their extreme propensity to rust to the core. That 30 years of crud is rust!

IMHO: It's hard to improve on the stock/factory 951 looks. Simply put they are the best looking sport cars ever. So there's nothing to touch there with a few exceptions like wheels. While the stock phone dials were not bad they were not exactly the best match. So I've installed after market 17" wheels with Bridgestone tires. Inside the car can be enhanced with tastefully selected performance seats or covers. I am not fond of the latest carbon fiber and polished aluminum gizmos add-ons. I second the opinion of someone in another thread who stated that if it does not add to function in some way then it is "rice". One needs to keep in perspective the final product when adding and changing stuff on the car. Even simple stuff like adding an extra Porsche logo can effect the overall "finished product" image of your car. I channel my urge to "improve" my car into collecting and learning maintenance techniques then apply it around the engine, chassis or where ever it applies. Since these cars were designed for high performance purpose I find it acceptable to modify the factory engine and chassis to the extent the car will be used. Another key issue with me is to the drive the car in a responsible manner which reflects on Porsche's mature and confident audience. Meaning we should restrict our banshee rubber burning desires to the track
Old 02-21-2004, 03:22 AM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

are you called a purist if you can't afford any mods :-(

its true...my car is stock cept a grant steering wheel (because its cheaper then sparco, momo, factory, etc AND because it's your connection to the car)
and i have updated clutch and water pump (maintenance)
and a k&n (life time, reusable filter, sposed to give you 2 hp or something like that)
Old 02-21-2004, 03:44 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Re: Any Purists?

Originally posted by EZRider
Since these cars were designed for high performance purpose I find it acceptable to modify the factory engine and chassis to the extent the car will be used.
I agree completely with Peter.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:09 AM
Red 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm a semi-purist
There are cars that just should not be modified at all
Some cars, like ours, I hate with 'out-of-era' mods, and most of the time I find visual modifications .. wretched.
I could go on .. but .. it's 4 in the morning
Old 02-21-2004, 07:31 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default I am a purist

I happen to be a purist at heart, in fact before buying my 924 N/A I was looking to buy a Fiat 1500 coupé, this is a very nice car from the sixties that was build only in Argentina (only 5000 were made).
It had the classic italian beauty from "carrosseria Vignale" and the interior was full of leather and wood.
Returning to my 924 I am keeping it as stock as possible with exception of a new Stereo that I bought and plan to install.
Perfomance modifications are OK as long as you don´t change the look of the car... IMHO installing big flashy wheels in a 24 years old car is equal to trying to dress like a teenager when you are in your fifties
Old 02-21-2004, 08:08 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Subtle mods are encouraged. The AIR splitter with 968 Aero mirror really modernize these cars. Add a set of newer Porsche wheels (Cup, Twist, Sport Classic) and it's like a brand new car.

DO NOT get me started on the turbos. I am *** deep into a wishlist of mods for my car. I'm thinking of starting a charity to fund it all.

Just don't use a lot yellow on the interior or draw your own carbon fiber....
Old 02-21-2004, 10:25 AM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

For me personally I sought out a bone stock car to my own mods to (listed below). All my stuff is bolt on and could go back to stock if someone wanted to...
Old 02-21-2004, 10:51 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I say that if you own the particular car, you are free to do whatever you want with it (so long as it doesn't pose some sort of hazard to the rest of us). I may not like what is done, but in the end it isn't my place to say someone else is right or wrong because of what they choose to do with thier cars.

So, modify away if you choose!

BB.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:09 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I would upgrade with Porsche OEM parts only, or parts that are universally accepted to be superior to the Porsche equivalent in function. I wouldn't put anything on the car which only affects appearance and makes no functional improvement to the car's performance.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:41 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I think that all porsche cars should be bone stock and never modified. Ever.

Old 02-21-2004, 08:46 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

And never driven. That can put wear and tear on the car and depreciate it's value. They should all reside in a climate-controlled bubble in your garage.

BB.

Quick Reply: Any Purists?