Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Purists?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 01:02 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by dmsog

So what do the fanatics burn on the lawns of known converters?
Camaros

Sorry Tom!
Old 02-24-2004, 01:32 PM
Predator
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's no cutting involved! The LT-1/4 fits like it was made for it. The car handles every bit as good any 951 I've ever driven, and on the track, there is no way any 944 could out run this car...period. But I didn't build the car for the track. Its just a great street car, ps,pw, a/c. Very comfortable, with the power to outrun 99.5 % of the cars on the road. This car looks completely stock from the outside, except for the 17" SpeedLines. I have a lot of fun with the so called 'fast' cars that like to pick on 944's. Please, don't judge the conversions until you have the opportunity to ride/drive one.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:37 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what's to judge? i own a porsche. you own an... well, as aircraft go that would be classified 'experimental', so thats what i'll call it. it may be fast, but i'm not out to race every ricer and their uncles. i dont care if some dumb soccer mom or redneck can accelerate faster than i can in their minivan or pickup. Porsches are a whole different breed, and i'd like to think that the original things that were designed into them set them apart from the rest of the cardboard boxes out there. included in that is my attitude that i don't have to beat anyone(esp. in a drag race) but that i am confident and comfortable in my abilities and my cars abilities and that i can use those to the fullest.

-Michael-
Old 02-24-2004, 01:58 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I personally want to have one bone-stock, concourse quality original porsche, and one "WTF-is-that?!" porsche. Sorta the Mr. Hyde to my Dr. Jeckyl. The Ying to my Yang. Know what I'm sayin'?
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2004, 02:27 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Predator
Please, don't judge the conversions until you have the opportunity to ride/drive one.
I don't really have any issues with conversations, but usually the ones I've seen are half-assed jobs started when somebody has the idea to do it, but doesn't have the skills/resources necessary to pull it off.

As far as the car being welcomed at PCA events, I wouldn't sweat that. I have a hard enough time getting recognition for a 951. I always have the feeling they're looking for any opportunity to drop me from the discussion. You know the routine - there are 911s, and there are cars... Seriously, I know one guy with an '85 911 that's constantly berating my car, asking when I'm going to move "up" to a "real" Porsche, and just how much superior his car is to mine. Please.

That's what I like about Rennlist so much. There are people here who truly like the 944, and we don't have to make excuses.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:32 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,374 Likes on 504 Posts
Default Re: Any Purists?

Originally posted by starr944
Just curious, and I certainly don't want to offend anyone - Are there any "purists" here who prefer an all-stock, no-mods 944?

Reason I ask? When I was an MG owner, I was blown away by how **** those guys were. They'd rather see an undercarriage with 30 years worth of crud versus a freshly painted one. God forbid you modified these cars in any way!

I've always prefered tasteful mods that enhance but not overwhelm the look of the stock car. I'm sort of stuck in between with my 944. I'm a sucker for big rims, fat brakes, subtle interior mods, and an overall clean look. But, there's a huge side of me that would like to keep her stock - completely.

In my humble opinion, the 944 should maintain a rice free diet if possible. Then again, some think 18" wheels and a pedal set (even ones at $200+) is bordering on rice. Some cars, I must admit, look pretty sweet riced out. I just can't see the 944 with a Universal Bolt-On Wing.

Thoughts? Opinions?
BUY 2
Old 02-24-2004, 02:46 PM
Dave
Race Car

Originally posted by Predator
There's no cutting involved!
Its just a great street car, ps,pw, a/c.
Please, don't judge the conversions until you have the opportunity to ride/drive one.
OK, Maybe I should have said "unbolt!"
You left off "PB!" I don't have much use for AC (lack of employment/steady income) is the only thing that kept me out of the AC delete group buy, but I like my power brakes.
I haven't really judged the conversions, I haven't even ruled out doing one myself oneday. I'd love a ride if your ever in the area. My only real problem with it is that I like to participate in PCA events and you can't do that here with a converted car.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:55 PM
Dave
Race Car

Originally posted by Red1
As far as the car being welcomed at PCA events, I wouldn't sweat that. I have a hard enough time getting recognition for a 951. I always have the feeling they're looking for any opportunity to drop me from the discussion. You know the routine - there are 911s, and there are cars... Seriously, I know one guy with an '85 911 that's constantly berating my car, asking when I'm going to move "up" to a "real" Porsche, and just how much superior his car is to mine. Please.

That's what I like about Rennlist so much. There are people here who truly like the 944, and we don't have to make excuses.
There's a big difference between this and what I was refering to. NNJ has a pretty good 944 following, we have our 911 purists too, but there are enough waterpumpers that it isn't a big issue. It doesn't hurt that our current president drives an S2! OTOH, NNJ doesn't consider a converted car to be a Porsche and most events are either Porsche only or divided to favor Porsches. You can't join PCA with a fiberglass 356 on a VW chassis either and that is (arguably) closer to being the real thing.

I guess NNJ is a lot like Rennlist in that there are enough 944 series owners to make their own group!
Old 02-24-2004, 03:09 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Dave
There's a big difference between this and what I was refering to. NNJ has a pretty good 944 following, we have our 911 purists too, but there are enough waterpumpers that it isn't a big issue. It doesn't hurt that our current president drives an S2!...
Let's take that a bit further: there are ~30 members of the NNJR board of govenors. Of those 30 folks, 10 are 924/944/968 owners!

Lots of NNJR members are track junkies. There are a lot of 944's that are tracked: most likely due to the fact that they are inexpensive to maintain compared to the 911. Thus, you'll see DE events where almost 40% of the cars are front-engined water pumpers!

Just my $0.42,
-Z.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:26 PM
Dave
Race Car

Hey Z! Without even knowing what most of the board drives, I can name 6 cars, last I heard Al (Al P) and Marlene have 3-4 of 'em alone!
I have to say that I've only overheard a couple anti-waterpumper remarks in my 5 years with NNJR, none have been directed at me.

Last edited by Dave; 02-24-2004 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:00 PM
Z-man
Race Director

The only real anit-944 remark I heard was from a guy I was flagging with at Lime Rock a few years back. (NNJR does their own flagging for DE's at Lime Rock, BTW). He was bashing the 944 left and right. IIRC, he had a 3.2 Carrera. Said the 944 wasn't a 'real' Porsche.

Oh, and he only got through 1/2 a session on the track before he had significant engine problems and had to call it quits.

That was after his engine had already been rebuilt 3 times!

'Nuff said.
-Z.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:05 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Last time I dealt with my local region of the PCA, I found them to be the reason that the "Porsche snob" stereotype exists. My dad quickly stopped going to the meetings. Hell, at one PCA/VW club autocross, the 911 drivers wouldn't even speak to you unless you drove a Porsche.

You can imagine how sore then were when the FTD was run in a '79 Rabbit...

Granted, this was in the early 90s, so things might have changed since then. But that's the main reason I haven't bothered to join PCA on my own.

BB.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:24 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Originally posted by BeerBurner
Last time I dealt with my local region of the PCA, I found them to be the reason that the "Porsche snob" stereotype exists. My dad quickly stopped going to the meetings. Hell, at one PCA/VW club autocross, the 911 drivers wouldn't even speak to you unless you drove a Porsche.
Usually, they are the ones pronouncing it Porsh. They are just posers anyways.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:28 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by BeerBurner

You can imagine how sore then were when the FTD was run in a '79 Rabbit...

Granted, this was in the early 90s, so things might have changed since then. But that's the main reason I haven't bothered to join PCA on my own.

BB.
Our region is very 944 friendly. I have never been snubbed. In fact, the only troublemaker is that SEAN MCMANUS guy:

Old 02-24-2004, 05:30 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

HAHA! Nice...

BB.

Quick Reply: Any Purists?