Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frekin thermostats!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 05:16 PM
autocomman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frekin thermostats!

What is the deal with the Whaler thermostats? My 951 I started with an 87 wrong yeah I know, but it was consistent at least, and it wouldnt let the fan turn off...then i swapped the fan switch and the thermostat for an 83, and opening temp was higher than stamped on the thermostat somewhere around 87 it would open. Now I have an 80 deg, and it will open at 85...then stay open, when crusing on a cool day it will close which can be normal, but it doesnt open back up till its hit 95ish on the gauge then the temp drops and stays dropped. These symptoms started immediately after changing from the 83 to the 80. I am really tired of changing the dam thing, and the temp inconsistency is ridiculous. Ive read more than few threads on this. Im ready to put in a 71 which will prolly open at 75-80 at this rate. I hate to do that cause its too cold IMO, but i dont have the time or patience too keep changing the same part over and over till I get one that works

Thoughts??
Old 08-21-2019, 12:39 AM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 150 Posts

I wonder if their quality is down the tubes since they were bought by Borg Warner? I know a lot of BWD's stuff is pretty questionable these days.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:17 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

buy three and throw them in a pot on the stove. install the one that performs to your satisfaction. throw an OEM Behr one in the pot also

I guy who used to work at a local Robert Shaw plant making stats told me they only had to work once. some are junk but if they slightly worked, they where boxed and sent out.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:56 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

maybe the rated number is when they "start to open" rather than "fully open"?

cant believe you've gone to the trouble of swapping a thermostat so many times, its such a PITA that i'd set it and forget it and just adapt to the new coolant temp lol
Old 08-21-2019, 02:41 PM
autocomman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thing is the low speed fans never turn off once they are on, at idle they will cool it enough to close the thermostat and then it never drops low enough to turn the damn things off...with a factory 102/92 fan switch. I would have thought 83 would have been low enough, but I guess not. Thats why i went from the 83 down to the 80. First one was my mistake putting in an 87, I've never had a car with anything lower than that OE so that was what I used by default. But im 2 more down now...and yea it really sucks. Remove air box, headlight motor and rod nad the coolant crossover just to the the snap ring pliers in. Once I get in there I can usually unsnap one corner pretty easy and pull it out, but all that other crap to remove first....I should bother my Matco guy, hes coming today see if he has a 90deg pair with a long reach...then I wouldn't have to remove so much crap just to get the tool in. Its so frustrating, everything else so far on the car has behaved except this.

Im definitely gonna test it in a pot of water before putting it in, even thinkin bout drilling a small bypass hole 1/8" old school thing to do I know, but anything to try and get this crap to behave.

Quick Reply: Frekin thermostats!