Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where does this bolt go?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019 | 11:51 AM
zogster
Pro

Default Where does this bolt go?

OK, so… back of engine bay, just behind the now-removed AOS, right at the flywheel. I have a bolt that should secure a p-clamp for big electrical cables that I can't find a hole for... can anyone help? I think I had loosened/removed that bolt a few years ago, the last time I was that deep in there. But obviously missed replacing it properly when I reassembled things.

The hole immediately above the bolt in question is for one of the AOS bolts, and I don't think it attaches there. I have a vague memory of it being attached to the bell housing.

Old 08-07-2019 | 10:02 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

On my turbo that clamp mounts under the rear bolt for the intake manifold.
Old 08-08-2019 | 09:08 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Zogster, no idea. Remember, it always helps when you mention year/model of the car in question.

But while you've got it torn that far apart, find the unique engine number for your car (near the joint between the block and the bellhousing) and take a photo. Sometimes the correct part you need comes down to knowing the engine number. It is not the number you can see in your photo, cast into the block. It will be a stamped number, more to the lower right hand side of your photo. Oriented vertically.

Old 08-08-2019 | 09:33 AM
zogster
Pro

Thanks guys. Looking at the length of cable I think it could be re-routed so that p-clamp is at the rear of the manifold, though I'm a little wary of any bending and stretching on electrical stuff that's been resting in the same shape for years. Then again the insulation for all those cables is in much better shape than a lot of the lighter wiring. On reflection I may just bolt it up to the AOS mount if I can make that work - it's a support thing, after all, not a suspension component.

I'll look for that number Harvey, thanks. I'm pretty sure my equivalent corner of the block won't be *quite* as clean as that. And yes, I should have remembered to mention that it's a RHD 1987 944 Turbo!

Last edited by zogster; 08-08-2019 at 09:35 AM. Reason: added model year
Old 08-08-2019 | 12:21 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

I just had a look at my car... not the easiest place to see when it's all together. I believe the p-clamp is bolted to a short piece of band metal which in turn is attached to a stud a little towards the rear and center from the clamp. Perhaps behind the rubber boot.
Old 08-08-2019 | 02:52 PM
zogster
Pro

THanks Grant, I appreciate the effort. Yup, it's a nightmare to work on or even see half the stuff in there, even with the turbo out.
Old 08-09-2019 | 05:50 PM
zogster
Pro

I finally found a couple of pics of engine bays that show the clamp in question… +1 for rear of the intake manifold

Old 08-09-2019 | 09:08 PM
edalenta
Intermediate

On a USA version (LHD) 1987 924S, that bolt with the cable P-Clamp goes into the rear most mounting hole of the AOS.
This my least favorite bolt in the engine compartment...even with the intake manifold removed.
Old 08-10-2019 | 07:00 PM
zogster
Pro

Ooooh, there's a lot of competition for "least favourite bolt" round those parts…

I nominate also: the trickier of the two bolts for the water neck underneath the bracket that the cycling valve is attached to; the bolt that goes through the turbo downpipe flange, the AOS heat shield and intake manifold support and into the block, creating a perfect storm of hard-to-reach, several things to line up, one of them requiring brute force to move.

I've actually just secured the clamp to exactly the spot that you mention: rear AOS bolt hole. Yup, tricky bolt to wrangle, but I just couldn't see a way to clamp it anywhere else without flexing the cables more than I'd like.

Last edited by zogster; 08-10-2019 at 07:01 PM. Reason: corrected a typo

Quick Reply: Where does this bolt go?