Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unique problem(s): Help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004 | 06:28 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Unique problem(s): Help?

Well, I broke out the 951 yesterday to take to the shop to have the belts adjusted. It's running warm b/c the belt is not tight enough to properly spin the WP....or so I thought. Mech gets the front apart to discover that there is oil all over the belts. We're guessing the balance shaft gasket is gone. Does that sound logical? If so, should I replace the belts again now that they're covered in oil (and slipping around the WP) or will they "dry out" and be okay. They're relatively new, but I'm thinking "better safe than sorry" and relacing them. Thoughts?

Also, driving home I pulled on the high beam stalk to drop back down to low beams for an oncoming car and got NO lights! Just the parking lights. Can I tell ya how much fun THAT was?! What could it be? Is it the stalk (just put a used one in b/c my cruise lever broke)? Whan I got home I checked and could get fogs on low beam, just no low beams. High works both ways (flash and constant). Any help here? I guess this'll teach me to bring Beabea out of hibernation when there's still snow on the ground!

Thanx all!

Michelle
Old 02-19-2004 | 06:33 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

That's what you get for outbidding me. ;-)

I'd replace those belts pronto. Wouldn't even drive it. Nope, not worth the chance.
Old 02-19-2004 | 06:34 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Replace the belts, oil soaked belts are useless and should be considered trash. Probably lost an oil seal, I would replace them all since it is going to have to be torn down.

Doubtful it is the stalk, more likely the relay or fuse. Using the logic that when the high beams turn off the fogs came back on you should be able to rule out the stalk.
Old 02-19-2004 | 06:36 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

unless something came unplugged when you put in the new lever.
Old 02-19-2004 | 06:38 PM
Matt H
Race Director

xs - I dont think that makes sense.

1) what could have come unplugged.
2) she had high and low when she left (at least thats how I read it)
3) when she pulled the stalk the brights went off and the fogs came on (exactly as they should)
Old 02-19-2004 | 06:38 PM
Colin Laney
8th Gear

My old 924S was leaking oil out of the front of the engine at one point, and onto some of the belts. The recommendation I got was to replace all of the belts and the seal (the real culprit for the leak) pronto, and not to drive the car until I did.
Old 02-19-2004 | 08:11 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanx guys!

That's pretty much what I thought. I think I've got the seals, now I guess I need to call 944racing for belts.

I replaced the stalk before winter and have had no problems with the lights prior to last night. How do I check the relay (I know how to do fuses)?
Old 02-19-2004 | 09:33 PM
mochman
Pro

replace belts and seals take the switch out and clean with crc electrical parts cleaner or similar you can see where the switches contact (small hole) mine did exactly that and it's been fine for the last 6 mths.

Quick Reply: Unique problem(s): Help?