Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 04:18 PM
Bryans951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire question

Has anyone run Kumho ECSTA 711 in a auto-x or DE.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:32 PM
Bryans951
Burning Brakes

Come on guys. At $72 each, I know that I can't be the only one that wants to run these if they are worth a crap.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:36 PM
Colin Laney
8th Gear

I ran Kumhos (though I don't recall the exact tire) on my old car, and they were perfectly serviceable. Seemed to wear evenly, lasted for a while, and had adequate grip in dry conditions and rain. Given that I was in Southern Cal, though, I'd have no idea how they do in snow if you drive your 944 in that.

They were nothing to write home about, but not dogs, either, and at the price, that's hard to beat.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:42 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are crap but if you are going to tear them up in a hurry then do you care? They are only H rated and there is no way on this earth I would do a DE with them, at least on an autocross course it cant get too screwed up.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:48 PM
Bryans951
Burning Brakes

Thanks Matt, thats what I was looking for but not exactly what my wallet was hoping for. : )
Old 02-19-2004, 06:52 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Bryan - I am a pessimist when it comes to rubber because that is my industry. I would never run an H rated tire at a DE but some others might be more than willing to do that. If you have to have cheap tires then I would pay the few extra dollars and look at the ES100 or the RE750
Old 02-19-2004, 06:53 PM
Bryans951
Burning Brakes

Thanks again. I was just going to ask what you would recomend.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:06 PM
Danno
Race Director

Well, we know what Matt would recommend...

Just be aware that within every manufacturer's line, there are high-end tires and there are low-end tires. Obviously more R&D, higher- quality materials, better production techniques and tighter quality control goes into the high-end tire. That's why you have such a wide price-spread between the top and bottom models within one brand of tires.

One of the factors that the final price influences is the speed-rating; with the higher speed-ratings costing more. Why? Well, the speed-rating really reflects the tire's stability at high-speeds, how much heat it generates from internal-flexing and friction. Consistency in tread-thickness, sidewall and tread belts, tread-block design, etc. are all fators involved in creating a certain speed rating.

In effect, this isn't just a speed-rating like in maximum speed, because you wouldn't want to test the H-rating's maximum of 130mph in a 951 at any time, but it's also a test of the tire's toughness. How it deals with outside stresses and the kinds of heat it generates. Cornering taxes a tire much, much more than rolling in a straight line. Probably by a factor of 2-3 times. So really, an H-rated tire might be able to handle maximum punishment only up to 40-65mph, which you can easily surpass in an autocross...

So really, do want to actually be doing your own R&D and trial & error testing on a tire that the manufacturer has deemed only good enough for an H-rating?
Old 02-19-2004, 07:55 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Danno I bet you dont know what I would recommend, I am actually pretty fair and not THAT biased.

One of the factors that the final price influences is the speed-rating; with the higher speed-ratings costing more. Why? Well, the speed-rating really reflects the tire's stability at high-speeds, how much heat it generates from internal-flexing and friction. Consistency in tread-thickness, sidewall and tread belts, tread-block design, etc. are all fators involved in creating a certain speed rating.

Not at all true. Speed rating is determined more by contruction that by anything above. Full body cap plies vs. partial, a whole bunch of other stuff similar that I cannot talk about.

Speed rating should be called performance rating to be honest, the biggest difference is in the handling capabilities. You should see the deflection of a tire at 100mph, it is scary on some tires,
Old 02-19-2004, 08:07 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

I run Kumhos (I thought mine were 712's?) and have done a few auto-x and more than a few on/off ramps. Retrospectively, I'd've spent a dime or more and bought Yokohama's. These tires are OK; they DEFINITELY need to be warmed up (like all tires) but seem even greasier than normal when cold...You get what you pay for; step up a notch or two...Just my .02 worth...

Quick Reply: Tire question