Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hatch wont open... Little help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004 | 03:48 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Default Hatch wont open... Little help?

I wasnt sure why it was not opening. the lock was disconnected because the guy lost the key for it. and i have a different lock and key now to put in, but i had to get the latch mechanism because one side is broken i think. if looking at th elatches from inside the cargo area... its the right one. i disconnected the lever arm, and took off the 10 mm nuts that hold the coversand latch on. one side comes off, because that side works, but the latch that doesnt work, i cant get the ball of the pin that goes from the hatch into the latch out. i pull and i pull and i cant get it off... anyone have any hints? oh, and yes, i am trying to open the lock as i push, but the latch is broken so it doesnt do anything.

thanks for the help.
Old 02-19-2004 | 03:55 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Get someone to pull up on the hatch while you work the latches from the inside.

IIRC you should be able to release the latch and pull it off of the hatch pins from the inside when the retaining nuts are off.

I think I have a set of latches from the early 944's somewhere in the garage. I will have to check them to see what may break inside.
Old 02-19-2004 | 04:09 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

if the latch is broken, how would the latch release off the ball though?
Old 02-19-2004 | 04:11 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Yeah, what SoCal said. I went thru this same thing last year. You need a helper to pull/wiggle on the hatch while you are inside trying to move the latch mechanism around.

If that fails:

J/K. Good Luck!
Old 02-19-2004 | 04:13 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

In the early latches there is only one catch/blade the comes in from the side. The later latches have two blades/catches. So inside the unit there had to be a lever or gear or what ever to make both blades work.

Me thinks that this cross over has broken and you can only get one of the two catches/blades to disengage. You might possibly be able to drill a hole in the bottom of the non functioning side and use an ice pick or sharp awl to pry the catch off of the hatch pin.
Old 02-19-2004 | 04:16 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by tifosiman
Yeah, what SoCal said. I went thru this same thing last year. You need a helper to pull/wiggle on the hatch while you are inside trying to move the latch mechanism around.

If that fails:

(Picture of hammer)

J/K. Good Luck!
Needs to be bigger. Sometimes I use shaped charges.

Old 02-19-2004 | 04:18 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Well, how strong is the mechanism inside? would a crow bar just break the latch off, or would it morelikely break the part coming from the hatch? (looking for the easy way out)
Old 02-19-2004 | 04:26 PM
jpapanas
Advanced

...i disconnected the lever arm, and took off the 10 mm nuts that hold the coversand latch on. one side comes off, because that side works, but the latch that doesnt work, i cant get the ball of the pin that goes from the hatch into the latch out. i pull and i pull and i cant get it off... anyone have any hints? oh, and yes, i am trying to open the lock as i push, but the latch is broken so it doesnt do anything.
It's not clear, but it sounds like the plastic lever on the back of the latch assembly is broken and it's not spreading the clamps apart to release the pin.

If you take off the other latch assembly, that is not stuck, you can see how it's supposed to work.

You might try using a small flat head screwdriver and slide it up the drain hole and try and push the clamps apart. I think they are hinged at the front of the latch assembly.

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure how you're going to get it off...

Good Luck,
Old 02-19-2004 | 04:29 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

air powered cutoff tool? :P blah, why do things so simple have to be so difficult. anyone got any more ideas? how about the crow bar?
Old 02-19-2004 | 05:26 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

If you have to use vice grips to break the assembly apart. Don't use a pry bar on any of it as you just may break the glass or bend the frame beyond repair.

I would look hard at the other assembly when you get it off as per jpapanas's suggestion.
Old 02-19-2004 | 05:42 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

That hammer's too nice to hit anything with.
Old 02-19-2004 | 08:45 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the wonderful advice peckster!! why dont you go play with your hammer somewhere else..

jk.. hehe

Quick Reply: Hatch wont open... Little help?