Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: St Louis Rennlisters, need some Hotel help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 03:24 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts
Default OT: St Louis Rennlisters, need some Hotel help

I'm going to be in St Louis next month for a conference. The conference is at Adam's Mark on 4th and Chestnut. I'm looking for a nearby hotel a little cheaper, but can't find 4th and Chestnut on the map.

Anyone that knows the area can you give me an idea of what's around there in walking distance.

thanks
Old 02-18-2004, 04:07 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I stayed in that very hotel 3 years ago. I know it is within easy walking distance of the Arch. Look for hotels within 1 mile of the Arch (whatever address that is..............)

HTH.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:23 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

If you want reasonably cheap and don't mind a twenty minute drive, there is a Red Roof Inn in Creve Coeur (a western suburb) right off of I-270 that is clean and quite hospitable. There is a Hooters in the front parking lot, and its about half a mile from "Westport", which is a nice collection of shops/restaurants/bars all in one complex. The only caveat is that the twenty minute drive is dependant of traffic conditions and road construction. Rush hour can dog you a bit...

Another place to check out is the Union Station there. Its on the southern edge of the downtown area and has a bunch of restaurants and whatnot.

Let me know when you are there, and maybe I will get some of my STL Porsche buddies to have a beer night for you. I haven't been in STL for about two months, and I am due to stop in there.

Regards,
Old 02-18-2004, 04:25 PM
User 41221
Banned

um, sorry, just read the "within walking distance"... nevermind...

Regards,
Old 02-18-2004, 04:26 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nightlife in the area- Leclede's landing.. close to tha arch and the riverboat.
STAY OUT of Illinois near St. Louis.. trust me.

LOOK for a piano bar named "Big Bang" in Leclede's... You wont regret it. Get there early and be sure and stay for the dueling pianos. What a blast.
Try the Wild Turkey and water. They did me just fine.
If you want to do the arch thing- be sure to check out the Lewis and Clark exibit in the "basement" under the Arch.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:39 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

SH944

At 33% of the Adam Marks special price for the convention, 20 minute drive is worth it.

Might even stay longer to hit other customers in the area. Price is $40.00 a night. Just tell me I'm not going to see cockaroaches scatter when I turn on the light.

Beer night sounds good. I'll be there from like the 25th, 26th of March to April 1st or second. Depending on how far it is to Chicago.

Chris. I'll be driving and plan at least one pit stop in O-HI-O
Old 02-18-2004, 05:06 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

about 6 hours (Midwesterners.. it's all about time and not distance!) from Chicago to St. Louis. depending on rate of speed and number of ILL State PD on the roads. and of course how much traffic you encounter into and out of Chi and STL.
If you have a little time to spend consider driving a part of Old Route 66.. let me know and I'll get you particulars.

Ohio. it sounds better than Oh, Why? Sid- I'm in between Cinci and Dayton.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:48 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

With the Adams Mark being smack dab downtown, there aren't any places w/in walking distance that are cheap and by the whole night. Rather than stay out in Creve Coeur and deal with all the traffic headaches (just trust me on that) there is a Red Roof Inn off of I-44 and Hampton Ave (don't know what the rates are though). It would be about a 15 min. drive. You would take I-44 East into town and get off at Memorial Drive and the Adams Mark is right there. There is a Holiday Inn Express at Jefferson and Park just North of I-44. Once again, no idea on cost. You would have some other options to get downtown from there.

Parking is a pain in the rear in the city so allow time for that. Meters run from 7AM to 7PM and are free on Saturday and Sunday. Free Saturdays are downtown only, so feed the meter anywhere else. It's a ten buck ticket. There are more places out by the airport that would give you a 20 to 30 minute drive. I know that the cheapest rate I found in New York state for an upcoming trip was a Super 8.

The other thing is follow one of the earlier posts advice and stay west of the Mississippi. Avoid East St. Louis. Don't even get off the highway there.

Good luck.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:56 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

mmmmm

Almost twice as exspensive.

I'll only have to go into St Louis twice, so I'll have to think about it.

How expensive are parking garages? I'll be there on Tuesday and Wednesday so the weekend bit doesn't help.

How can East St louis be so bad. Spent time in the Bronx, can't be worse than that.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:56 PM
Lew
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Craig001 has the right information. I've lived in St. Louis for 30 years and live near downtown, so I know the area well. Have fun.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:00 PM
User 41221
Banned

What, y'all haven't partied at Pops OZ in Sauget? You think its tough to just stop in East STL, try playing gigs there with all your gear in a rented trailer... Its actually not that bad, if you have any common sense and don't act like a victim waiting to happen. Its not for the easily intimidated, tho.

No cockroaches at the Red Roof in Creve Couer. Traffic can be a bit of a pain, but I usually deal with it by leaving by 7:15 and I haven't had many troubles at all with it, despite the road construction. And with Westport right there, I am quite comfortable. To be honest, after spending too much time in NYC, Chicago, San Franscisco, LA and Dallas, St Louis is a bit of a bore to me, trafficwise.

First beer is on me, lets plan something.

Regards,
Old 02-18-2004, 10:01 PM
boxdoc2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something to consider to would be to stay out by the airport (Lambert) west of downtown. There is a Drury Inn there that has been fine for us in the past and they will pick you up and drop you off at the airport for no charge. At the airport there is a train called the MetroLink that you can take to downtown. It's like $3 or $4. I know they have a stop at Union Station and at Laclede's Landing. I'm sure there is one closer to Adam's Mark. Check out http://www.metrostlouis.org/MetroLink/stationlist.asp for all the stops. Good luck!
Old 02-18-2004, 10:14 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how old you are but you could go down to the landing. It is close to there. There are a lot bars and stuff there.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:27 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

I was thinking the traffic in Saint Louis can't be as bad as Boston during the Big dig, and I have no set time I have to be anywhere.

Box, though that's a good idea, personally I'd rather sit in traffic for 30 - 45 minutes where I can smoke, drink coffee,* and listen to Howard Stern then sit on a train.

What do you think Scott, hit the landing, then over to East St Louis to start a fight j/k I did want to check out Kilkenny's, don't know where it is though.

* I will be bringing my own coffee, grinder, cream and coffee maker. Us East coasters take that stuff seriously. I'll also have to be trying some Heathen St Louis ribs (Memphis is the only place that knows how to make ribs)
Old 02-18-2004, 10:31 PM
User 41221
Banned

For what its worth, Creve Couer is close to the airport.

I'm game, lets pick a date and see about starting a beer night post.

Regards,

Quick Reply: OT: St Louis Rennlisters, need some Hotel help