Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cone Filter vs. Stock Intake on 944s

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 11:24 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by yieldsign2
wow george, getting all psychological on us.
but anyway...
the reason tehy didnt do it on anything but the s2, so they could make more models of the same car with differences liek that , that poeple would go for.
my.02
It's not very psych. If you believe you cannot before you start, you're pretty much dead before you start.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:28 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

true that.
and why dont you guys leave us NA's alone. Maybe i think my NA is plenty fast enough for me. :P i take the handling of a car over speed any day. ill put on a cai just for the sound.

Ok... flame me now. haha.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:32 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Originally posted by Geo
I'm sorry, but where did you come up with that idea.

You're dead wrong.

Stop beating around the bush George!! Tell him how you really feel....
Old 02-19-2004, 12:58 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where was the intake on the car that placed in LeMans? (yes yes i know it was a 924, but it was basically where our cars came from...)
Was it in the engine, or was it in the bumper?

And was it cone or box?
Old 02-19-2004, 05:54 AM
Roral
Instructor

If you look at the Ad. for the 951 where they compare it to the GTP, it has the nose vents off center. I would believe the filter would be mounted some there near this location (yet it's I do not know if this is the car your talking about or not Blue.)

I have really been thinking about this issue for a while, I picked up a Apexi AFC, (still have to work out the vehicle select if any one can help PLEASE!) once this has been done, my efforts will be put towards a MAF or MAS as well as a turned intake. I was thinking i would tune with PVC just for the sake of cost. Work the length and bends out. Then convert it over to hard pipe. I will try doing both set ups. One to the nose cone and one to the factory location. I might even use a 931 nose to see if a vented nose makes the much of a difference. I am not sure if I will put the money into Dyno testing, just for the fact that i would be costly just to see if i get 1 HP or -2Hp in the long run.

If any one knows the vehicle select for an Apexi AFC, please let me know and I will gladly provide all the info I can with my findings (or blunders)

Steve
Old 02-19-2004, 12:44 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

My bad George, an MAF would make a big difference with a long neck pipe. The only downside is that puppy's expensive and the majority of us NA guys like to put most of the money into suspension since or dreams of increasing power have pretty much backfired.

Andy
Old 02-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like we know the answer but no one has made the product. Hmm, I wonder what incentive there is... Only one way to find out. Who's going to make the dyno-proven CAI? We have some entrepreneurs around here with skill. I have a car that gets dyno'd regularly. Hmm...

(FWIW, I've asked this before - never answered... always hopeful)
Old 02-19-2004, 02:04 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

you know all this talk about solutions but yet nobody wants to take advantage of it and produce a product that is dynoproven kind of reminds me of 7th grade when half my class liked this blond girl and knew she was single and friendly, but never had the spine to ask her out on a date....

Andy
Old 02-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

7th grade! HEHE, were you gonna ask her to a romantic dinner in the cafeteria?

Just playin' ...
Old 02-19-2004, 02:50 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

actually it was the other 90% of the class that wanted to, i had my eye on someone else at the time in my neighborhood But yet, never got the chance to ask her to the cafeteria either so time went on.... hehheh

Andy
Old 02-19-2004, 06:57 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Skip
Sounds like we know the answer but no one has made the product. Hmm, I wonder what incentive there is... Only one way to find out. Who's going to make the dyno-proven CAI? We have some entrepreneurs around here with skill. I have a car that gets dyno'd regularly. Hmm...

(FWIW, I've asked this before - never answered... always hopeful)
Skip, it's in my plans. I have already talked with my machinist about making the adapter for the AFM. My real problem right now is my day job prevents me from having a life lately. Zero time. However, once our audit is over next week I hope to get back into the swing.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:04 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by TheStig
you know all this talk about solutions but yet nobody wants to take advantage of it and produce a product that is dynoproven kind of reminds me of 7th grade when half my class liked this blond girl and knew she was single and friendly, but never had the spine to ask her out on a date....

Andy
Andy, I think you've hit it on the head. I will be working on one of these as as I complete my car, but I have a bunch of other things to do first.

The biggest problem IMHO with developing NA 944 power is the fact that nobody is doing serious development and nobody is willing to spend the money on the products.

I'd love to get a friend of mine working on them. He's done wonders for the Nissan aftermarket performance market. He's an automotive engineer, writer, and consultant. I was talking with him about headers for the 944 (a popular manufacturere of Nissan headers is getting disgusted with that market). When I gave him the cam timing specs he said, "no wonder headers don't work on those cars - they have negative valve overlap." It piqued his interest. From that I would deduce that a good cam and well developed header and CAI would have plenty of potential. Throw in a MAF and aftermarket ECU (forget that ARC piggyback thingy) and better things should be possible.

And you're right about the dyno thing. The Nissan SE-R community is great about doing controlled dyno tests to confirm the results of various mods. I guess it helps that we have a consultant who not only provides a lot of data, but also helps people work through how to do effective dyno testing.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:35 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

a good cam and well developed header and CAI would have plenty of potential
Don't mean to throw water on this fire, but for the street cars, you guys need to remember the local smog regulations.

There are a lot of us 951 guys that have modified, and now have big head aches. My car passed the emissions test, but failed the visual and overall test, due to a MAF. There have been 951 guys that failed the visual with just a cone filter in the place of the stock airbox. So my car sits in the garage with an expired license.

Guru racing makes a "stealth" MAF kit that I hope to install soon. I'll soon see how the smog ****'s like it.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:37 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

What's so illegal about a MAF if it isn't polluting any?
Old 02-19-2004, 07:40 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by iloveporsches
What's so illegal about a MAF if it isn't polluting any?
He lives in The People's Republic of California.

There any parts that modify the engine, intake, or exhaust (up to the cat) must be CARB certified.

Quick Reply: Cone Filter vs. Stock Intake on 944s