Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turning over a new leaf

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 01:06 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Turning over a new leaf

We had a good run, but that phase is done.

I will re-join the local car club and only speed on the track.

Time to stop being a boy and become a man.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:21 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 302 Posts

As I've grown older (much older!) I have to say I've gained a new found appreciation for the runoff areas that proper tracks provide. Sure beats running into a tree! Not to mention that most of the roads near my house are really boring.

I don't know the statistics nationwide but the number one killer of young men in our area is single car accidents, car leaving the road.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:54 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Noahs944

We had a good run, but that phase is done.

I will re-join the local car club and only speed on the track.

Time to stop being a boy and become a man.

What brought this on? Too many run-ins with Dudley Do-right?
Old 06-26-2019, 09:01 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Yes Harvey, I see your point. Typically the biggest threats on the roads I like to travel are deer and moose. Loss of control due to lack of adhesion could happen also, especially in months other than summer! I look forward to going to the track. I just hope no one hits my car.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:14 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Scott,
Played with fire and got burned (badly)… without a radar detector. 1030 pm on a sunday on my favourite tarmac backroad into the mountains.
It was raining off and on. When I got into the belly of the beast it was fog due to the recently fallen snow evaporating on the road.
Truth is the tire adhesion was something I had to keep testing. Out here there isn't wifi and if I were to slip off the road I might not be discovered for 5 years. But that's always been part of the charm. Part of the adventure. I got nailed pretty hard and we'll see how it plays out in court. All I know is I have to step on eggshells for the next 3 years.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:36 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Consider yourself lucky that you had this run-in.

What happens when you are 40 mph over the posted speed and a kid chases a ball out into the road.

You try to beat a light and run over a bicyclist.

You run up on a spot in a curve at 10/10ths where a car had just been towed and spilled coolant all over the road.

Thing is, you never know what can happen driving over your head on the street.

You could end your life or end up in prison for negligent homicide, leaving your wife and kids to fend for themselves.

A couple weeks after my son got his driver's license (after a 1+ year restore of a 944S I gave him), I signed him up for a 1 on 1 track day with an instructor.
Nobody else on track but him.

I had a motive...., to teach him that the track is the place for fast driving.
Even when young, if you get it out of your system in the proper environment, chances are way less that you will do something stupid on the road.

This is one reason I always comment when people on here "need big red brakes" or a 600 hp supporting turbocharger, for a "street car".

LOL, we run NA brakes and pads on race cars and can lap faster than 99% of the "street guys" with their big reds and 400 rwhp.

Save it for the track guys.

T
Old 06-26-2019, 12:34 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

If you come out to the track (Castrol Raceway) this weekend, you'll see our 944 enduro car racing around the 1000km race on Saturday. Great time to ask questions about tracking/racing and see if it's something you want to work towards.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:43 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I look forward to going to the track. I just hope no one hits my car.
You have nothing to worry about. It sounds like you’ve been speeding recklessly on public roads for years. Everyone at the track is worried about guys like you hitting them, not the other way round, trust me I’d be giving you a very wide berth at the track. I hope you do explore legal avenues for high speed driving, as Justin said we’re racing this weekend, there are plenty of ways to get on track.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:44 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Consider yourself lucky that you had this run-in.

What happens when you are 40 mph over the posted speed and a kid chases a ball out into the road.

You try to beat a light and run over a bicyclist.

You run up on a spot in a curve at 10/10ths where a car had just been towed and spilled coolant all over the road.

Thing is, you never know what can happen driving over your head on the street.

You could end your life or end up in prison for negligent homicide, leaving your wife and kids to fend for themselves.

A couple weeks after my son got his driver's license (after a 1+ year restore of a 944S I gave him), I signed him up for a 1 on 1 track day with an instructor.
Nobody else on track but him.

I had a motive...., to teach him that the track is the place for fast driving.
Even when young, if you get it out of your system in the proper environment, chances are way less that you will do something stupid on the road.

This is one reason I always comment when people on here "need big red brakes" or a 600 hp supporting turbocharger, for a "street car".

LOL, we run NA brakes and pads on race cars and can lap faster than 99% of the "street guys" with their big reds and 400 rwhp.

Save it for the track guys.

T
Very good examples and points T. Yeah, this run in with the cop is going to cost me and forces me to re-consider my behaviour, and even though I always try to drive within my limits... some things are outside of my control & I'd hate to be the one responsible. So, time to change and rearrange!
Old 06-27-2019, 09:02 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Very good examples and points T. Yeah, this run in with the cop is going to cost me and forces me to re-consider my behaviour, and even though I always try to drive within my limits... some things are outside of my control & I'd hate to be the one responsible. So, time to change and rearrange!
Old 06-27-2019, 08:12 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

JustinL,
That sounds like a blast. My dad is here from out of province this weekend -so this weekend is a no go for me, but I wish you and Crenan and Brockoli a fantastic race!
Crenan,
Oh come on man, I'm not Vin Diesel & this ain't F&F. I never said I was driving recklessly, I said I was speeding. And these "public roads" tend to be underused, so lets not blow things out of proportion. Show me a guy who says he hasn't "opened up" his sportscar on the back roads once in a while and I'll show you a liar.
Tifosiman,
Lets bring value.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:15 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I got nailed pretty hard and we'll see how it plays out in court. All I know is I have to step on eggshells for the next 3 years.
Noah, I read this and it sounded really bad, like nothing I would expect to happen to a responsible adult. Apologies if I misinterpreted.
The following users liked this post:
Noahs944 (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 12:18 AM
951and944S
Race Car

!ban tifo

bot: message board begins looking at 951and944S

(for Twitch chat subs)

T
Old 06-28-2019, 12:21 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by chrenan
Noah, I read this and it sounded really bad, like nothing I would expect to happen to a responsible adult. Apologies if I misinterpreted.
Guessing, but he probably just got nabbed for speeding.

Car not road legal and/or in legal compliance complications.

In either event, coulda kept it to himself but publicly confessed and took some lumps as penance.

First step towards getting sober.

T
Old 06-28-2019, 07:09 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

or admitting that you have the hots for susan dey.

each time I get a ticket, I get a different car with 50 less hp. I am down to 150hp. being sneeky, I go see the judge the day before my court date.

my name is john smith and I am a speedaholic. it has been 50 months since my last ticket....

Quick Reply: Turning over a new leaf