Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Secret to removing lower balance belt sprocket and/or timing belt crank sprocket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019 | 09:45 PM
Blank Point
Track Day

Default Secret to removing lower balance belt sprocket and/or timing belt crank sprocket?

Hey everyone, I'm in the middle of my first TB/WP change and I'm having trouble removing a couple of the sprockets. All of the others slid off very easily except the upper balance belt sprocket which took a little prying but not much.

With the lower balance belt sprocket and the timing belt crank sprocket, I've been prying to the point I'm worried I'm going to break or bend something. I've already seen a small mark on the balance belt sprocket from prying so hard.

Is there some trick I'm not doing? I've been thinking I might get some 90 degree needle nose pliers to put in the holes on them and pull.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-22-2019 | 11:11 PM
echoff
Track Day

It's been a few months since I did the TB/WP but I definitely remember using a gear puller for some of the sprockets. Like you said, some do slide right off but others don't.
Old 06-23-2019 | 02:55 AM
Blank Point
Track Day

I do have a gear puller kit but I'm unsure what bolts to use, all the ones that come in the kit are either too big or too small. Would anyone happen to know the correct size?
Old 06-23-2019 | 04:21 AM
Seattle 993
Racer

I remove the electric fans to provide more room for a gear puller. 6 bolts hold the fan to the radiator and 2 connectors to the fan (I have a turbo yours might be slightly different). A gear puller (small 2 arm) will work for the balance shaft. You might need something larger for the crankshaft.
Old 06-23-2019 | 09:37 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Regarding gear puller bolts, obviously they need to be smaller than the hole in the middle of the gear being pulled. Or put the original bolt back in but leave a space between the underside of the bolt and the gear, then land the puller onto the head of the bolt. Once you get the gear to slip that initial bit, you keep backing the bolt out and working it out until it comes free.

PBBlaster or Kroil is your friend.

Quick Reply: Secret to removing lower balance belt sprocket and/or timing belt crank sprocket?