Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics from my first DE (and more)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 01:32 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Savannah944, i suggest you look into getting on the track with your local PCA region. i'm sure they have DE's there every now and then.

-Michael-
Old 02-17-2004, 10:47 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Mike Buck
Some advice:
I suggest you do some reading and figure out exactly what the point of DE's and track days are! If you are out to "beat" people and worry about being "embarrassed" this is not the place for you to drive.

Z-man, others, you concur?
Yes, DE's aren't a race. You should also not worry about how fast or how slow you go compared to others. PCA DE's are strickly 'progress at your own pace.' In the beginner/novice groups, the instructors will never push you beyond your limits. If you focus on smoothness and being precise, you will automatically increase your speed through the corners.

That said, once you get more into DE's, and get to know the guys you run with, you will soon see what drivers run at a similar pace as you. At that point, when you 'hook up' with them on the track, a new element of track driving occurs. You start to compare the other person's driving style to yours: their corner speed vs. yours, their braking points vs. yours. As long as the egos are out of the picture, this can be a very fruitful and enjoyable element. Also: if pairing up with a 'slower' driver, it gives you the opportunity to focus more on your technique and line. And it takes bench racing to a new level! Again, I must stress: even this type of 'tandem driving' is NOT racing: if the track stewards see any evidence of racing at DE's, they will kick you off the track!

However, on the other side: all too often, people at DE's try to 'beat' another car. This type of attitude brings about what DE junkies call the 'red mist.' The red mist occurs when a driver cannot see anything but the car ahead of him that he must pass. As the emotion (read anger) takes over, a 'red mist' begins to cloud the mind! I've seen this in action: there was a guy in a 964 (or 993) that was determined to catch up with and pass my friend who was driving a 924S. He had Al in his sights, but forgot about what was more important: driving the line! He completely missed the turn in point at turn 11 at Watkins Glen, and wound up smacking the wall at the entrance to pit row. Not pretty. Beware the red mist!

As Adrial stated, while autocross is not requirement for DE, I too definately recommend it. If your PCA region offers a car control clinic, that's an even better place to start.

HTH,
-Zoltan.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:28 PM
Baron009
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. I actually wasn't too sure about DE's, so this helps a lot. I think I'll be getting my PCA membership this spring.

Quick Reply: Pics from my first DE (and more)