Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics from my first DE (and more)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 07:36 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Ian -

Was this your 1st DE? How much did your instructor help you? Can you tell me the process of getting in at Roebling?

I want to run up there this summer, so the more info you can give me, the better chance I'll stay out of the grass.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:04 PM
rsrdan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roebling Road is a great track,especially for the 944's.My S2(also black) seems to love it there....just missed out on next weekend event,but will be there car less, regardless...
Old 02-16-2004, 09:17 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Hey Perry,
Yea that was my first DE at Roebling which I did through Porsche Owners club because PCA won't let me do a DE being 16 years old (which is dumb). Basically all you do is register through the POC website and pay your track fee. My Dad's friends insisted that I start with Roebling because it is such an awesome beginners track and still awesome for high-skilled drivers because its nice and flat all around - all the turns are off camber - and it has plenty of grassy runoff. My instructor was AMAZING, nicest guy ever, he taught me every trick and line of the whole track and I was shocked by how much faster I was each run. I'd definitely recommend Roebling to anyone in GA because its an all-around fun track, but surely nothing like Road Atlanta - I have to work my way up to that
Old 02-16-2004, 09:41 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tarheel: nice shots! It's great to see another S2 out there!!

Quick question: what is that contraption behind the driver's seat?
If it is a seat back brace, I recommend that you remove it immediately. Based on some disucssion of this device on the DE/Track forums, it seems those contraptions are more dangerous than you would believe. Let me explain:

Most modern cars, including your 944S2 is designed with crumple zones. These zones are meant to collapse around the driver/passenger, and absorb much of the energy of an impact. Basically, the body and chassis of the car take the blunt of the impact, minimizing injuries to the driver and passenger. Your roll-bar is attached to the car's body/chassis. A seat back brace ties in your seat to the roll bar. Now, you have essentially eliminated much of the impact protection of your car! I believe the PCA club racing committee is looking into revising this rule for this racing season. These have been documented cases of lower spinal, neck and back injuries due to the use of seat back braces.

Hopefully, Redlineman can chime in here and elaborate on this issue.

-Z-man.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:01 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Thanks Z-Man, I'll have my Dad read this because he wants to start PCA Club Racing this spring so that is definintely a valuable piece of advice!!
Old 02-16-2004, 10:02 PM
Baron009
Pro

Nice! I love those shots and its so cool to hear that you beat that WRX. People with Japanese cars think their cars are so hot... pfff!

I would like to go to a track one day, but I don't want to go and embarass myself so I'm going to take some lessons beforehand or something. Secondly its just too hard on the car to race it, and until i have more money I don't thnk I can afford it.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:11 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Baron009
Nice! I love those shots and its so cool to hear that you beat that WRX. People with Japanese cars think their cars are so hot... pfff!

I would like to go to a track one day, but I don't want to go an embarass myself so I'm going to take some lessons beforehand or something. Secondly its just too hard on the car to race it, and until i have more money I don't thnk I can afford it.
Some advice:
I suggest you do some reading and figure out exactly what the point of DE's and track days are! If you are out to "beat" people and worry about being "embarrassed" this is not the place for you to drive.

Z-man, others, you concur?
Old 02-16-2004, 10:15 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

i agree - and on top of that our cars are made to handle that kind of driving. i'll be bringing tools with me, but i don't expect any problems related to driving on the track. in fact, many people swear that their cars run BETTER after being run hard at the track.

-Michael-
Old 02-16-2004, 10:20 PM
IMB951
Drifting

a DE isn't a race - I'll admit I had to keep telling myself that while I was out there - sure you can push your car and perhaps even find its limits, but competition isn't what you come for. that WRX, well, he just couldn't keep up.

the only previous lessons I had before going to Roebling was two autocrosses, which is all I recommend you do before going to a DE because your instructor will teach you everything you need to know.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:24 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Mike Buck
Some advice:
I suggest you do some reading and figure out exactly what the point of DE's and track days are! If you are out to "beat" people and worry about being "embarrassed" this is not the place for you to drive.

Z-man, others, you concur?
Yup, I definetely agree.

I would make sure the car has plenty of brake pad and rotor life left before getting out on the track though. Also flushing the brake fluid with a good quality fluid (everybody here seems to love ATE super blue, its a good bang for the buck brake fluid) is extremely important. Your street pads should be OK, but there's only one way to find out for sure...

I would suggest a few autocrosses to get a feel for the car before your first DE.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:31 PM
Baron009
Pro

If you are out to "beat" people and worry about being "embarrassed" this is not the place for you to drive.
Oh I agree its about the experience and having fun, but I have some anxiety problems so I'd rather 'practice' and feel comfortable before seriously hitting the track.

Erau - are you are saying that there really isn't any additional problems from thewear and tear from racing? I seriously can just can afford the car as is, and since I do only minor repair stuff myself I am a bit worried bout having a big problem arising from the track.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:35 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Baron,

You should do a few autocrosses to ease the anxiety. Although nothing will ever completely get rid of it.

Do you have other cars you can drive if this one breaks?
If it threw a rod bearing, or toasted a HG (yes it happens to n/a's too), or any other serious failure that you can think of...would you be able to fix it in a reasonable amount of time (meaning the car doesnt sit for a year waiting for something to be done)?

If you answered no to both questions, then I would keep your n/a off the track...but thats just me. I prefer to play on the safe side.

If you answered no to one of them, then its more of a grey area IMO.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:41 PM
Baron009
Pro

This is my only car. I am not driving it in the winter, but busing it instead or borrowing a car if I can. Chances are I would be able to borrow one of my parents cars if anything happened to the 944.

I might wait till I graduate or something, cause right now I feel like playing it safe.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:57 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

well, DE is not racing. i have no qualms about driving my well-sorted car on the track. however, i know my car is in great shape, if you have a lot of unknowns i'd suggest passing till you know what is sorted out. its amazing the junk people drive daily, but even a fair example of a 944, while it may be fine for daily use, could be questionable come track time.

so basically - if your car is in good shape do it and dont worry, but if you are questioning your vehicle's integrity, its best to keep it off the track. i wouldnt fly an aircraft i didnt know very well, or without reviewing the history. when i'm pushing my car to the limits, while other people are around, i want to make absolutely sure that i'm not going to break down and endanger others or myself.

-Michael-
Old 02-17-2004, 01:22 AM
savannah944
Advanced

I live in Savannah and am highly interested in going to Roebling road once I get my car sorted out and running correctly. If anyone wants to go and hang out sometime that would be awesome.

Quick Reply: Pics from my first DE (and more)