Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clock/dash light weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 06:33 PM
zogster
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clock/dash light weirdness

I've just been fiddling around behind the dashboard to add power for another couple of gauges, and now my clock is behaving oddly... obviously I've dome something stupid, but I can't figure out quite what.

Quick background: I'm replacing my turbocharger, the engine is in pieces, so there's no engine turning-over going on.

The weird thing that is happening now: when I turn on the lights, the clock LCD display fades to blank in a couple of seconds. When I turn the lights off, the clock display returns. The clock illumination is still working. Other electrical stuff seems to be working as it should.

Here's what I did:
• connected the ground and power for the gauges to ground and switched power to the stereo
• connected the lighting wire for the gauges to the dash lighting wire to the clock (it was the easiest one to locate)
• in the process of doing that, momentarily shorted out something (yes, one day I'll actually remember to unhook my battery ground before doing this stuff). It blew the 7.5A fuse for the headlight lifter motor (no 28 I think). I replaced the fuse, obvs.

It seems obvious that the problem is something to do with the dash lighting wire, but I can't figure out how, or see any obvious short or wrong connection to cause this.

Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Clock/dash light weirdness