Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

85.5 944 Left side marker lights repeatedly blow fuse.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 10:30 PM
Myoung4123
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85.5 944 Left side marker lights repeatedly blow fuse.

Where is the offending short most likely to be.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:17 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

In the wiring harness.

Seriously, a short like that can be hard to track down. Do a google search for the Factory Service Manuals, which have the wiring diagrams, learn how to read them, and then start tracing wires.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:03 AM
Myoung4123
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I have wiring diagrams and do understand them.

i could have done a better job of explaining my problem. This is the third time the short has appeared.

First time after some searching I changed a bulb in the front marker light and everything was ok for about two years. Second time changing bulbs did not work. I removed every bulb individually and all at the same time, fuses blew in each test. Did the same process with each connection I could find. Still no luck. Tried to look at the fuse box and didn’t find any issues but not confident I was looking in the right place.

Put everything back together and for no apparent reason it worked for about 90 days.

Now on the third iteration. It appears the problem is deep in the harness. I am suspicious of the switch and the area where the harness goes through the back seat hinge. A new switch is expensive and Removing the interior components needed to get to the harness at that hinge area is a hassle. I hate to chase the issue by just replacing parts that can not be returned or digging in to something where I will break more stuff.

I am hopeful someone has had the same problem and can give me some ideas of where to look first.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:38 AM
H.F.B.
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Myoung4123
Thanks, I have wiring diagrams and do understand them.

i could have done a better job of explaining my problem. This is the third time the short has appeared.

First time after some searching I changed a bulb in the front marker light and everything was ok for about two years. Second time changing bulbs did not work. I removed every bulb individually and all at the same time, fuses blew in each test. Did the same process with each connection I could find. Still no luck. Tried to look at the fuse box and didn’t find any issues but not confident I was looking in the right place.

Put everything back together and for no apparent reason it worked for about 90 days.

Now on the third iteration. It appears the problem is deep in the harness. I am suspicious of the switch and the area where the harness goes through the back seat hinge. A new switch is expensive and Removing the interior components needed to get to the harness at that hinge area is a hassle. I hate to chase the issue by just replacing parts that can not be returned or digging in to something where I will break more stuff.

I am hopeful someone has had the same problem and can give me some ideas of where to look first.
Here my story of a blown fuse. Idk if that could help. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...5#post15894995
Old 06-18-2019, 01:25 PM
KEVIN ANDERSON
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You really have to follow the power wire all the way looking for any cracks where the copper touches other metal. On my 951 the wire to the coil negative would charge the coil as soon as I turned the key on. So I had to remove the bumper and I eventually found a crack in the wire insulation and the copper would touch the chassis and power the coil.

Quick Reply: 85.5 944 Left side marker lights repeatedly blow fuse.