Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What car alarm do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 10:42 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question What car alarm do you have?

Ok ill be getting my Turbo soon enough, and I want to put an alarm on it ASAP.... Primary reason is the area in which I live is apparently the worst for car thefts in the english speaking world.... Yay go Surrey!

Right now im looking at either Clifford or Viper... I want to get one of those responder systems, and good options for extra sensors (glass breakage, etc) and an immobilzer addon, since that gets me an insurance discount (and any discount off the $360+ CDN a month ill be paying is good).

What do you guys have and how has it worked for you? Did anyone spring for the GPS tracking system?
Old 02-15-2004, 11:17 AM
gleamingred944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clifford Matrix. Basic. A touch over US$100. installed. Wouldn't be without it. Besides, it pays for itself in 4 years with my anti-theft insurance discount.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:33 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Another failsafe you can do is to take out the DME Fuel Relay. Personally its not something you want to be continuly taking in and out of the relay board, but its a pretty effective means of making sure noone is stealing your car short of putting it up on a flatbed. I would only do this if you plan on parking for an extended period of time (airport...etc).
Old 02-15-2004, 12:12 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Plug from the coil
Nah I haven't used on live a pretty safe place plus the white epoxy front end with body damage probably scares off the people. I have the factory alarm but I rarely use that.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:16 PM
Songzzz
Burning Brakes

Is there a way we can make/hide a switch that can disconnect the DME relay? Save the hassle unplugging everytime.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:25 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Hmm probably can be done. There are wires that go to the fuse/relay box all you have to do is get a pretty simple kill switch that flips up for on and down for off. Then you track down line that is for the fuel pump plug it in and plug it out and to the relay board. Then you just flip the switch. Hide it under the dash board somewhere. All this will do is cut the fuel supply without the fuel no fire so the car won't go away. Plus once the person is in the car they want to get out of there asap which if they can't start they will not be looking for how to fix the problem. These car are pretty simple to brake in and start if you don't have any system.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:06 PM
t1tec
Instructor

I just got a Viper 790XV installed and I love it. This alarm has responder technology and is real great. My installer did a great job wiring this baby up, the system will lock your doors when the key is started and unlock when you power off, the remote start feature (auto trans only!!!!) is very cool and the interactive remote is real nice.

Best of luck.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:12 PM
starr944
Instructor

My car has the Porsche factory optional alarm. Pretty weird because it has another set of door locks that control the alarm mounted in the rear quarter just behind the door. I haven't tried it out yet - car is in locked storage and I'd hate for it to go off unknown for days.

I've got a Viper in my 96 Camaro SS (which I'll be selling soon). I think it is one of the best alarms out there. Very hassle free and acurate.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:24 PM
RobbyK
Pro

Location: The mistake on the lake other wise known as Erie PA

The factory alarm is a little iffy not much more then a horn. I would only use it if you really feel the need because due to age if sumtin goes wrong with the key port it could be a real pain in the a$$.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:37 PM
starr944
Instructor

Thanks for the info. I'll test it soon. Fact of the matter is, unless you have LoJack there's no guarantee with any alarm. I like my Viper because it gives that little warning when you bump the car, or try to open the door, etc. I see it as nothing more than a deterent. If they really want your car, they'll get it regardless.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:50 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

The factory alarm will not let the car start if it's on. Yes it's an iffy to use only used it like twice. Insurance company ask and I say "Yes it has one"
Old 02-17-2004, 02:49 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmmm I might start looking at Vipers a bit more...

Time to see if theres actual installers around here that install good alarms besides Futureshop
Old 02-17-2004, 03:04 PM
Baron009
Pro

Yeah... thats the problem isn't it? Getting it installed. I want an alarm and I want to replace the head unit/front speakers, but I'm not sure if I trust too many people out there to do it. And I definitly don't trust Future Shop!

I think with the stereo i could do that myself though.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:10 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

As far as factory alarms go, the 951 alarm is quite good. I use is religiously, though I rarely park my car in places where Im gone for a long time. The biggest downside of the factory alarm is remembering you turned it on. I always look at the keyhole and if its horizontal like a bolt on a door, I know its armed and I need to turn it off.

I need to figure out how to arm the 930 alarm. The alarm keyhole is actually in the doorwell where you find manufacturer/VIN stickers. But that would necessitate reading the manual -- thats no way to live.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:32 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a CarPro Alarm...it has the features I want; remote entry, ignition kill, anti carjacking (doors lock after ignition is on), and a trunk release. Plus the "beep-beep" sounds cool...I find it's too sensitive though, goes off in parkades when rice rockets drive by...
Is there anything else I want in an alarm?

Quick Reply: What car alarm do you have?