Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vancouver guys read (please)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 08:38 PM
user 8430
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vancouver guys read (please)

Hey guys, I'd post this in the OT forum but wanted to make sure everyone saw.

You may or may not know, but I have been trying to get a transfer and relocate to Vancity for awhile now....Well it "looks" like it very well may happen, I will know for sure by Wednesday the 18th.

I work for a large Canadian bank and the office is located at the corner of W Pender and Granville streets. This move looks as though it may happen very fast, and there are some logistical hurdles to overcome, namely getting there and finding a place to live. Ideally I would like a roomate to share expenses with and would like to live downtown, hopefully close to the office, but I can compromise obviously.....if anyone wants a roomie and or a tenant/border I would definitely be interested, or someone who would put me up for a few days (if was ever necessary of course, and I could compensate).

Also if anyone knows of any good deals or tips on finding an apt I would be greatly appreciative. I would like a modern style apt, secure parking (underground etc) and decent amenities etc, fitness room, and things like that would be nice ;_) Also do you guys know if Bell mobility provides cellular service in Vancouver? And who is the digital cable provider, Shaw, Rogers?

I defintely am excited to meet some fellow P car owners in person something I have never been able to do here in NB as there aren't any others haha, and to do events and meets and stuff like that! Also I am sick of gravel covered, pothole plagued, and snowy frigid roads and temps, I am ready for near year round Porsche driving season!!!!!

Rich, do you have any vacancies coming up, and or are you sure you don't want to get a place? Ryan is interested and pending confirmation as well...

Also I have to figure out how to get there, I could drive with my stuff, are the rockies passable at the start of March with summer tires!!!!!!! Im serious. Or I could ship it, $800 and fly out of Toronto, another $300-400 and pay to send my stuff.

Anyone in the moving business can help out sending furniture? It would save me having to buy all new stuff there, as it is to costly to send my large items.

Any feedback help, words of wisdom greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Kevin
Old 02-13-2004, 09:02 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A: For cellular service, you want to use Telus. trust me.
B: Cable TV is shaw.

C: For internet, you can go Telus ADSL, or Shaw cable. I have shaw cable and they give me very good service.

Transport. Driving through the rockies and cascades mtns (the ones closer to Vancouver) are usually clear by the end of March, but the weather can still be totally hit and miss in the peaks until it clears up in April.

If I were you, I'd get a huge ****ing truck, and load my 968 and all my other **** in the truck, and put the mileage on the truck. (No worries about breakdowns or stone chips or spin outs.)

If you need a place to store your ****, you can drop it off at my place. I can make room. Cheaper than $100/mo storage lockers. (Including your car, if you wish.. there is an empty spot next to my 951..)

Lastly, I have no idea if there are vacancies for March. I'll ask. Price for a 2 bedroom will be pretty steep though. $1200/per easy.

I suggest looking for an Apt with Ryan or someone with a steady job a little further from the downtown where it's cheaper. Commute to work via skytrain or buy a parking pass downtown.

BTW, if you DO get that job downtown, you'll see me heading home over the Granville st. bridge every morning as youre heading to work!!!
Old 02-13-2004, 09:07 PM
user 8430
Banned

Hey man thanks for all the offers!! I'll hope to know more soon and what I'll need to do.

I was anticipating approx $1200 for a 2 bedroom so this is within budget. What kind of truck to you recon I would need?

I asked about Bell mobility because I am in a contract with the NB telephone co who is partnered with Bell so I could transfer my service to them if they offer service there, otherwise I have to pay steep penalties to get out. Does Shaw offer digital cable? I have Rogers now and get all the same stuff as the satellite guys do (Expressvu)

I would be interested in one of your apts if I had a roomie, I am looking for one now, as well Ryan is gonna get back to me.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:56 PM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

U-Haul cube van with a car trailer. Cheap and reliable! Good luck with the move!
Old 02-13-2004, 10:02 PM
user 8430
Banned

I heard that they are not compatible (car trailer) and will damage the car, as per Uhauls site.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:13 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Or you could get a place in North Van and take the people mover (or whatever they call it) across the harbor to work. That's what I'd probably do.

U-haul just says that because it's a low car. They don't want to get hassled by people who don't know what they're doing. As long as you have planks or blocks to load it, it'll probably be fine.

The pass is iffy that time of the year. I did it once with chains and a trailer and I was the last car they let through for days. Everyone else was sleeping in a school gym for a while.

http://www.britishcolumbia.com/regio...s/?townID=3496
Old 02-13-2004, 10:24 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Shaw bought out Rogers here in Vancouver/BC. Everything that was Rogers is now Shaw, here.

As far as BELL Mobility goes, it's virtually unheard of here in BC. Sorry, maybe they can provide service for you here, without roaming fees.

Seabus sucks. Plus it's 2 zone, and that's $90 per month for a bus pass. That's the same as monthly parking downtown. May as well take the car!!!

I don't know about trucking, but ask around, I'm sure you can find something suitable. if worse comes to worse, you can leave it there till the summer. Airfare is relatively cheap.

Old 02-13-2004, 11:31 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The U-Haul full car trailer works just fine, I have used one before. Just get someone to watch you clear the transitions in the ramp at the ground and at the trailer. Only problem is there is no easy way to tie down the rear of the car unless you rig up some tie downs. I ran 400 miles with only the front tied down with no problems.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:07 AM
jcb928
Rennlist Member

You might want to check out,

www.metropolitantowers.com

I heard it is nice $800-$1100 for a 1 bedroom $1800-$2200 for a 2 bedroom. For that kind of money it should be...

According to my brother who lives in Vancouver, now is a good time to rent. Lots of places available.
Old 02-14-2004, 03:12 AM
jcb928
Rennlist Member

One other thing.... If you end up in a hotel in Vancouver while you look for a place try www.priceline.com I have been staying in the Hyatt on Burrard for between $50-$60 U.S a night. Don't try the 3 star option I always get stuck in the bad Ramada on Granville near the Airport ($40).
Old 02-14-2004, 03:54 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bell is out here for cell phone... I hear theyre generally better than Rogers AT&T, dunno about coverage tho.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:11 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Kevin,
Look forward to meeting you and your car. I know what you mean about the Toronto weather...I don't think I could stand either
As I've heard this is actually a good time to rent right now...plenty of vacancies, because lots of people are buying...loan rates are really low, plus people are preparing for 2010 and buying up every bit of land they can, because it will be worth a fortune...
I live in West Van and I drive to UBC everyday...I wish I lived closer is all I can say, but it's the safest neighbourhood in Vancouver...if you lived downtown however (my brother does), W Pender and Granville is super central and easy to get to, you could just have underground parking and walk or bus to work, and take the P-Car out on weekends or nights.
By the way, I have Rogers AT&T for my phone, I haven't had any problems with the service (but my phone is another story )
Old 02-14-2004, 06:42 PM
user 8430
Banned

Hey guys thanks all for the info and advice, I too, am hopeful to meet you all in person!

A few things I have accomplished so far are,

-Bell Mobility piggybacks off Telus's towers so I can have my account transferred over to Bell (Telus does the same off Bell towers in Ont).

-I can get a one way ticket from Toronto to Vancouver on Skyservice for $200 tax incl.

-I can get the car shipped via rail by Vancouver's own Searail for just over $800 tax incl.

What I need to now is to find a roomie and or apt. Do most of the newer apt complexes have fitness rooms, or is that only in the most expensive ones? I would really like to live within walking distance and have underground parking, thus only driving the car for pleasure. I am however flexible on this especially if I find a roomie.

What is the common practice in Van for new apt rentals? First and last months rent and damage deposit? Thats costly!!!!!! Maybe I can find someone in the classifieds looking for a boarder or renting a basement apt type deal. No one here wants a to move out or have a roomie ;_)

I am trying to get my Company to compensate some of the expensed, but where it is voluntary they are saying no currently, I am going to try to negotiate with the hiring manager, at least for the above costs.

I will finally have a mon-fri job after working shift work for last 8+ years. I am excited about that.

If anyone is interested, my new job is adjudicating and funding/underwriting new residential mortgage deals via 3rd party mortgage brokers. I hope to maybe capitalize eventually and get a niche in properties in Vancity with my bank connection maybe I can get a deal.

I also am interested in maybe a 2nd part time job or getting into something else eventually, I have always thought I would like to see high end cars, although I have never tried. I thought it might be a fun career where it touched on my interests, anyone have any feedback on that?

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2004, 04:21 PM
user 8430
Banned

Thanks Brendan, Im excited to meet all you Vanciuver guys too, Im actually in New Brunswick waaaaay worse than Toronto
Old 02-15-2004, 04:24 PM
user 8430
Banned

BTW Rich if anything is available at your place either bachelor/single/2 bedroom let me know. Would you email the address so I can mapquest it?

Also what is the norm for Apt rentals in regard to upfront cash in Van? 1st and last and damage dep? What does you families place require?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Vancouver guys read (please)