Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worn Syncros?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 12:50 AM
Bhj0887
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Worn Syncros?

What does it sound like when syncros are going bad/worn?

I have a feeling that my 4th and 5th are getting to the point of no return. In 4th and 5th I have a whining type noise, if I press the gas slightly (theres a certain point) the noise usually stops, any less or no gas and it appears again, any more gas and the noise gets a little quieter but I think it's becasue the engine noise overpowers it.

I also have a chattering noise, defenitly a drivetrain chatter. But only after the car has warmed up. I suppose it could be the clutch, because when I release the pedal in nuetral I can hear it, but it doesn't seem logical because the chatter is coming from the rear of the car. Driveshadt maybe?

I'm assuming that if I solve the chattering it could be the solution to the whining. If I have to pull the transmission I might as well buy and replace the clutch while its out.

I think there could be a little bit more acceleration in there someplace, because I can feel the chattering when starting off, and kinda hear it after I'm moving.

Last thing, there is some vibration coming from the engine, it rattles somethings on the interior. So i'm guessing after 104k miles, it's time for some new mounts, anyone use the cheaper aftermarket ones?

I need to figure these things out and fix them, it gets really annoying.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:32 AM
schadenfreude
Instructor

Isn't it easier to feel whether synchros are worn, rather than hear?
Old 02-12-2004, 09:14 AM
Bhj0887
Pro

well, at about 3200 rpm the shifter shakes really bad
Old 02-12-2004, 09:23 AM
schadenfreude
Instructor

I was thinking more of how well they handled big changes in RPM during gear changes into those gears, but since its 4th and 5th gear I suppose that's not really a good test I hear that 2nd gear is usually the first gear to get worn synchros...

Sorry, can't help you much, I'm new to this game
Old 02-12-2004, 09:46 AM
Bhj0887
Pro

1st, 2nd and 3rd seem fine, not much noise at all. But after the car is warmed up 4th and 5th whine, and I have the chattering noise.

It confuses me because if something was loose or whatever, it should chatter when cold as well right? I can start it up let it sit outside with never disengaging the clutch and it wont chatter, I actually have to drive it and put it through all the gears before the soud comes along. Same with the whine, it doesn't do it the first time I drive it and is usually normal until I take it to more that 4k rpms in any gear.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:00 AM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

What you're describing sounds more like an issue with the torque tube, rather than the tranny. The bearings in my torsion tube are going, and I get the same thing that you're getting, chatter in neutral with the clutch out.

Synchros would be something that you would notice while shifting, not while the car is in gear. If second gear is fine, then I'm willing to bet that the rest of the tranny is fine, as well.

I'm no expert, by any means, but the fact that it happens in any gear above a certain RPM makes me lean toward the torque tube.
-Jon
Old 02-12-2004, 10:34 AM
Bhj0887
Pro

So you'd say that the whole torque tube needs replacement? Or are there bearings and such that would cause these symptoms and could be replaced? I'm sure when I do it, I'll run into some problems, but its better than having this annoying chatter and whinie.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:35 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

that rpm says balance shafts to me. one of yours might be 180 degrees out of time. gotta be careful, that can shake your exhaust apart too! i have chattering at idle. when i put my clutch in it stops - it's the throw-out bearing. i also can hear it a bit when i put it in gear, but it goes away with higher rpms.

just a few possibilities

-Michael-
Old 02-12-2004, 10:44 AM
Bhj0887
Pro

Ok, so I'm going to find a used torque tube, get the balance shafts checked out (i know nothing about this), replace the motor mounts, and since I have excessive play in the shifter it's about time for a new one of those. If these things don't solve my problems then its time for a new clutch as well. Guess it looks like I'm going to empty out the wallet.

Hey, at least I'm mechanically inclined and can do most of it myself.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:46 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

sheesh!

did you do the timing belt? if not i suggest you take it to the last shop that did and tell them you suspect that a balance shaft is 180 degrees out. they should at the very least LOOK at it for free... it takes 'em 15 minutes to get in there. shifter replacement is a good idea/easy, $49 at 944online.com, but i dunno about replacing the torque tube... too much work for what could be nothing. check out the balance shafts first.

do the cheap repairs first, then if you HAVE to, go at the torque tube.

my $.02
-Michael-
Old 02-12-2004, 10:51 AM
Bhj0887
Pro

I just read a couple places that the torque tube can be rebuilt. Is this true an if so where can I get it done?
Old 02-12-2004, 10:52 AM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from the sounds of chattering, and a whining sound that makes me wonder. My car started whining once, but it was when the rubber center on the clutch went. The clutch didn't slip much until the transmission locked up from the play in the driveline. This would also explain the chattering.....
Old 02-12-2004, 10:54 AM
Bhj0887
Pro

Yea the timing belt was replaced 5k miles ago by the previopus owner. I'm assuming now he never had it retensioned.

The balance shafts are going to be the first thing I get checked out, with a retension. I'm ordering the shifter now, but that's an easy thing. Then I'll move on to motor mounts, and last the torque tube.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Big E
Racer

3200 rpm shake is one indication of a bad rubber-centered clutch. I don't really know why exactly, but I know I had that and it magically disappeared when I replaced the clutch.

Also, your statement "If I have to pull the transmission I might as well buy and replace the clutch while its out" doesn't really hold true, since getting the transmission out is only the first hour or two of a many, many hours-long clutch job.

As I recall, torque tube would be a bitch to replace cause you'd have to drop the whole rear suspension to get it out of there.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:02 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Is the noise coming from underneath you to the rear?? It sounds to me like your tranny is loosing some bearings, namely in 4th and 5th gear. My truck is doing the same and 5th, and I'm pulling the tranny (well, blown bearings, 3 shot synchros... thw works!!). This might turn out to be expensive for ya. Does the noise start after the gear engages and you hit the gas a little??

Quick Reply: Worn Syncros?