Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CATASTROPHIC HOOD LATCH FAILURE! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 07:07 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation CATASTROPHIC HOOD LATCH FAILURE! HELP!

Got your attention!? Good!

>edit< Hood latch repair failed catastrophically, nearly lost the hood tonight. The stupid, stupid plastic thing on the hood latch completely sheared off, and popped open on the freeway tonight. We even attempted to "wire her jaw shut" technique, but there's nothing to wire it too!

So, I'm stuck driving a borrowed truck, with a stupid purple stuffed bunny glued to the dash...I really should take pics, it's that silly!

Anyway, I need the hood latch assembly today! I need to know where to hunt it down, for the best price, we are down both cars now. Even my roommate's car is down, very bad. Thanks for any help.

>end edit<

Well, the ol' infamous 944 "hood peel off" nearly happened to me this morning, so I didn't go into work, spent the day trying to repair the mechanism.

Unfortunately, it's shot. The plastic thing on the spring on the hood side is broken mostly off. And the strike plate on the other end is badly warped.

I went and picked up a new spring and put it on, but every time I close the darn hood, it starts to disfigure and bend again.

Anyone local have the assembly in great shape? Mine was even riveted into place, I had to drill the rivets out.

And to keep the hood latch closed, I can't open it up...I opened it last night to check the oil...and it obviously never closed right again.

I also had to vaseline the assembly, that helped some, but it's still bending out of shape. When it broke this morning, the whole guts landed in my hand, after jiggling the hood latch wire. Came right out, and it's all warped.

Please let me know if any of you have both the hood side and the car side of the hood latch assembly, without broken or warped parts.

Thanks,

Julie

Last edited by Devia; 02-11-2004 at 06:21 AM.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:30 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Exclamation Naughty owner! BAAD!

Wow, thank you all for your OVERWHELMING SUPPORT in this crisis...NOT!

<I would have thought ONE of you would help me, but I am sorely mistaken.

I went to the dealership and had to purchase the whole damn set of upper and lower parts. The car is down, I'm not going to lose my hood over this...getting around is a friggin' ordeal, since the other car is down also. I'm spending 7 hours a day on the road, to get the both of us to work.

<snip> BAD GIRL! BAAAD!

Kijo here - I must apologize for my owner, she doesn't mean it, she loves you all, and me. I can't help it if she kept hammering that plastic part on my latch, she was warned it was going, but did she do anything about it!? Noooo, not until I forced the issue, when she slammed the hood that last time, and bent the strike plate, to boot.

She says she does preventative maintenance...I had to teach her that she needs to be on top of it all the time.

She also got some sort of parking ticket that was on me before she purchased me, and now LAPD has threatened to impound me. I think that bent her out of shape. Funny thing, not on my DMV registration renewal!

- Kijo

p.s. - Do you all think you can talk her into doing something about my front spoiler!? I'd like to have another one, or a turbo look; what do you think?

Last edited by Devia; 02-13-2004 at 04:52 AM.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:37 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

um, don't get too cranky at all of us, Julie... I just saw this thread, and even if I had seen it more quickly, I got the impression you were looking for local help, not 'list help.

Did you finish your repair?

Regards,
Old 02-12-2004, 03:40 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

I just saw it too, not that I have the part. As usual in this kind of case I'd say to contact 944 ecology
Old 02-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, i just saw the post today, i odnt know how i missed it yesterday? I wouldn't have been much help though! Unless we trade cars! Arent there any dismantlers around you? I would think parts Heaven could have hooked you up with one fast.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:16 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry Julie- I've been able to get on Rennlist once a week or so lately..

I have No parts- but I'll ask the local parts "meister" (Andy!)
Old 02-12-2004, 06:22 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Why not just take the hood off? Worry about fixing it when you have time-not when its making you miss work.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:28 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You did say "local" so that take most of us out.

I would have helped if I could. Sorry
Old 02-12-2004, 08:23 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Devia, are these the parts your in need of? If so, let me know, I can ship it to ya USPS priority, or express if you like. These came off my 1985/2 parts car. The finish is not perfect on the metal, but very usable condition. I also included in the picture, and will send to you also, 4 each 3/16" X 1/8" button head-aluminum rivet/steel mandrel rivets to install the body part of the latch assy. on with. Of course you will need to buy/beg/ borrow/steal a hand type rivet tool in order to install them with. I only have the above type rivet at this time, but if it were me installing in my car, I think I'd go try and find the all steel rivets to use instead of the aluminum with the steel mandrel rivet. What do the rest of you guys suggest, as far as what rivet type to use?

If interested, PM me. Just pay for shipping, and whatever (if anything) you think their worth.

Old 02-12-2004, 09:28 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Come over..... found one for you. Have not been on the list due to a bad cold. Call me.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:22 PM
glen2002
Racer

Julie,
Sorry you feel that way about everyone on the list. I saw your post and know of a parts car with a few parts left, but due to the fact only a small number of these cars were sold here the car is some distance away from me in Perth (3000kms) and in all honesty reading the desperation in your post I thought you would be better getting it locally, rather than trying to save a few bucks while I get a part sent half way round the world when you really need to get to work tomorrow.

I really hope you don't judge everyone on the list poorly due to the fact they didn't have a spare hood latch at home.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:42 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

I bet Julie doesnt mean everything she said! We all still love the list and Julie! Kijo will be better soon...gone through a lot lately!
Old 02-13-2004, 04:41 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Default Apology to all

Hey all,

I am sorry that I took it out on all of you! I've been driving 7 hours a day, working fulltime, I collapsed, physically and emotionally.

I'm a baaaad girl!

If the parts are not in today, I will be contacting those who have been kind enough to offer me help!

I've had a very bad week, which included being asked if I wanted to be an instant mom, but that doesn't mean that I have the right to be such a friggin' bitch to my friends!

I swear, you all understand me better than anyone else, overall Rennlisters have been very supportive of me, and I was out of line.

Oh, and to add insult to injury, Sprint lost my order for my phone, redid it, and sent me something embarrassing...

Regards,

Julie
Old 02-13-2004, 06:39 AM
Danno
Race Director

"I'm a baaaad girl!"

We LIKE bad girlzzz.... heh, heh...

Quick Reply: CATASTROPHIC HOOD LATCH FAILURE! HELP!