Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I changed my engine mounts from the top, here are pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 01:02 PM
chrsvo
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I changed my engine mounts from the top, here are pics

I changed my engine mounts from the top instead of dropping the cross member.
While I haven’t done it both ways, I would say this way was fairly easy and quick.

first, I loosened the bottom bolts of the mounts, I had to undo the front inner screw of the control arms to access them.
then I put a car jack under the passenger side of the oil pan and lifted it just so there’s weight on it.

Then I took off the servo reservoir and the exhaust headers. It’s not necessary to take them out completely to access the mount screws, but it helps.

you can then access the screws in the red circle from the top and the yellow one from the bottom.

The screws holding the mount and bracket together can be accessed as well. No need to take the 1-4 header out.

Eventually I decided to take the water pipe out and the headers as well, took some abrasive fleece to clean them and spray painted them with exhaust coat.

The other side was easier. Just take the airbox out completely (4 screws and one clamp at the AFM out) and move the jack under the oilpan to the driver side.

all screws can now be accessed:

Only caveat is a little bracket connecting the mount to the intake plenum that needs undoing:

That‘s it.
I took the opportunity to exchange the u-joint steering shaft, much easier with the airbox and bracket gone:

I hope I can motivate you to try this yourself
Old 04-07-2019, 01:39 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Nice work! How I envy you NA guys with jobs like this.....

PS: Which mounts did you install, OEM or aftermarket?
Old 04-07-2019, 01:47 PM
chrsvo
Advanced

I installed proper oil filled mounts, made by Uro:

https://www.partworks.de/partworks-de/Porsche/2x-UeRO-Motorlager-fuer-Porsche-924S/944/968-ab-86-Hydrolager.html

Heard bad things from the Meyle mounts.

the driver side had a very soft all rubber mount installed, so I’m very curious how it’ll run now.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:06 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by chrsvo
I installed proper oil filled mounts, made by Uro:

https://www.partworks.de/partworks-de/Porsche/2x-UeRO-Motorlager-fuer-Porsche-924S/944/968-ab-86-Hydrolager.html

Heard bad things from the Meyle mounts.

the driver side had a very soft all rubber mount installed, so I’m very curious how it’ll run now.
I installed the Meyle mounts two years ago. Daily driven for 20 out of 24 months, I can say that they are still performing just as they did the first day installed. That is to say, crappy. They transmit too much vibration and on top of that, they lift the engine just a teeny bit higher.

Let us know how the URO hydraulics perform
Old 04-07-2019, 09:54 PM
kirkandorules
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed the Uro mounts on mine 2 years ago (daily driven about 1/3 of the year), still feels about the same now, though its entirely possible I've grown used to gradually increasing vibration. I read a lot of horror stories about them *after* I installed mine and dreaded the thought of having to do it again in a couple years, but so far so good. Perhaps they've improved the design.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:49 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by kirkandorules
I installed the Uro mounts on mine 2 years ago....Perhaps they've improved the design.
Mounts are usually replaced only when the old ones are toast so anything new will be a huge improvement from what was removed including the URO mounts. Thing is, doing that there is no reference as to how the car is with new factory mounts.

I’ve tried new versions of various mounts on my cars and can confidently say that none of the aftermarket mounts come close to the factory mounts both in performance and longevity. New factory mounts produce no vibration whatsoever and don’t degrade over their life which is generally very long. Whereas new URO mounts produces an annoying “buzz” through the chassis immediately they are installed which degrades into visible engine movement at idle normally within six months.

So if you have no reference on how good new factory mounts are then URO mounts will seem that they are doing their job, which they are, just never as good as Porsche intended.

Just my 5c fwiw
The following users liked this post:
vacuumnoise (09-17-2023)
Old 04-07-2019, 11:11 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
Nice work! How I envy you NA guys with jobs like this.....

PS: Which mounts did you install, OEM or aftermarket?
Likewise, I guess I'm spoiled on stripped race cars.
Changing both mounts might be a 15 minute job.....

T
Old 04-08-2019, 06:22 AM
chrsvo
Advanced

I’ll report back how they perform.

just checked the 951... engine mounts, they’re about 450$ over here...
Old 04-10-2019, 09:07 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I have to disagree with you Mag. I just installed Meyle mounts and had brand new OEM mounts put on about 10 years ago and 20,000 miles ago. I can say with confidence that I felt no difference between the new OEM mounts and the Meyle mounts. My OE mounts did not seem to hold up the way others have said that they would and the thought of giving Porsche 4 times the money for negligible return on longevity was not my idea of smart.

Please let us know how the URO mounts hold up.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:25 AM
chrsvo
Advanced

Where does Porsche buy their „oem“ mounts?

Parts like these were always made by suppliers, so either the ones Porsche is selling nowadays are new old stock from better/higher quality requirements or I’m guessing they simply sell you Uro/Meyle.

Anyways, I’ll report back in a couple of months, I don’t drive the car too often.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:18 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Where does Porsche buy their „oem“ mounts?

Parts like these were always made by suppliers, so either the ones Porsche is selling nowadays are new old stock from better/higher quality requirements or I’m guessing they simply sell you Uro/Meyle.

Anyways, I’ll report back in a couple of months, I don’t drive the car too often.
This is a good read: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...or-mounts.html
Old 04-10-2019, 10:41 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
I have to disagree with you Mag. I just installed Meyle mounts and had brand new OEM mounts put on about 10 years ago and 20,000 miles ago. I can say with confidence that I felt no difference between the new OEM mounts and the Meyle mounts. My OE mounts did not seem to hold up the way others have said that they would and the thought of giving Porsche 4 times the money for negligible return on longevity was not my idea of smart.

Please let us know how the URO mounts hold up.
Where does Porsche buy their „oem“ mounts?....
@black944 turbo Apart from my own experience I’ve had this conversation with Ian at 944Online who sells both the genuine and Meyle mounts. He has sold a bunch over the years and wouldn’t touch the URO. His conclusion on the Meyle is that they generally last 3 years but start to degrade from day one gradually producing more vibration until they collapse. The genuine mounts hold for at least 6 years and usually much more, they don’t degrade gradually over time but when they finally go they are done (collapsed). The subject has been discussed to death on the forums however I understand why folk persuade themselves that the cheaper mounts are just as good

@chrsvo Iirc genuine Porsche mounts are made by Corteco. They sell direct on
Amazon Amazon
for about the same price as Porsche but they only offer a 1 year warranty whereas Porsche offer 2 years fwiw.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:02 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by MAGK944
@black944 turbo His conclusion on the Meyle is that they generally last 3 years but start to degrade from day one
I remember distinctly the first startup after installing the Meyle: for about ten seconds, I was in awe how the motor suddenly felt like it was floating in mid air. Amazing! By the time I moved the car a bit to park it, the vibration started. It has been gradually getting worse, starting as a buzz and now two years later a more pronounced vibration.

Here in Canada, $450 for a pair of OEM would be a BARGAIN. It's hard to pass up a cheap pair... very hard
Old 04-11-2019, 10:46 AM
chrsvo
Advanced

Well they’re 205€ each in the Porsche Classic shop, if you want some, I could buy & send them to you.

I researched about Corteco and people in German discussion boards are guessing they have some exclusive deal with Porsche as one can’t find the parts online.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:58 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Well they’re 205€ each in the Porsche Classic shop, if you want some, I could buy & send them to you.
Thanks but with current exchange that's at least $300 CDN each. Last I looked, the going rate here was $400 CDN each--so it's better, but might as well cross the border and get them in US. Right after a new windshield... suspension bushings... floor mats............ ah, forget it. A little shaking isn't hurting that bad yet LOL

Quick Reply: I changed my engine mounts from the top, here are pics