Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Color Change: What are your thoughts and who's done it

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019 | 12:51 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

I'm a purist where Porsches are concerned. I've seen 944's in other colors and they just don't seem right. I had one in dark blue, gold and nile (dark) green metallic and they were great factory colors that really fit the car. My latest, a 951 barn find went to the body shop for a white to white repaint. Even though I don't really care for white cars, it did lend itself well to my Martini tribute restoration.
Old 02-28-2019 | 02:03 PM
962 kid
Advanced

The colour needs to match the car. I can't remember the name of the original colour on mine, something like Platinum Silver

Mine before:

After in a Lexus colour called Brownstone. It appears dark grey in normal light, but has a reddish brown flake that really shows up at night/ under artificial light. Pops more than the original colour, but isn't wild.

After

Engine bay, jambs, and all that need to be done, otherwise it looks bad. Vinyl is good for race cars, but has no depth and looks bad in almost all cases for road cars.
Old 03-01-2019 | 10:57 PM
subliminal
AutoX

Another option would be to vinyl wrap it, that way you change the color and still have the option of easily returning it to the factory color
Old 03-03-2019 | 11:41 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

I love that color of blue! I'd keep it the way it is!
Old 03-04-2019 | 01:32 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

I have done two color changes myself... Its allot of work but for me it wasn't that bad, because I do enjoy it... . Engine, out, The Whole front Wiring harness out, Fenders off, hood off Doors off even that aluminum Drip Rail Ting-a ma-Bob was off when I sprayed mine. The Good news was during re-assembly everything Just "Fit" right back on, unlike American cars Ive done in the past.. I Imagine it would be way too pricey to have a shop do it, And keep in mind its not JUST taking it apart... You will get the "While im at it" Syndrome.... So Plan on New Door Seals, New Rubber for the mirrors, rubber for the door handle, Having or ordering the right tool to take the pins out of the power mirrors, then dis-assemble the mirrors, New hatch seal, on the 44 I had hood insulation I stripped and bought new, the AC lines out... You get the picture... When I painted all the parts it took me about a week, just to spray them all properly in pieces, But my car has no masking lines at all. and It all looks like factory.. And Buy 30 to 40% more paint than you need, I have already had to re-spray the Nose and I was able to paint just the panel and it matched perfect because it was prepped the same way and came out of the same can of paint. (And you will need allot because the hood needs to sprayed on both sides, doors ect. )

In The end its all up you and your personal preference, and of course time and budget. BTW JUST a quart of Guards Red is like $280 No Clear, JUST the paint.. Materials alone will Run at least $1500. If you have a shop do it, make sure you are both on the same page as to how for down the car gets stripped... I wanted to keep my car original and it wasn't until it was too late that I realized I could no longer get the Vacuum hose routing diagram sticker for the inner fender in the engine compartment....

Quick Reply: Color Change: What are your thoughts and who's done it