Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Airbags

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 05:51 PM
guytranspo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 Airbags

I’m considering a 944 Turbo, and I’m wondering about the later models with airbags.
Are there any concerns about the airbag system?
Are the 30 year old bags safe?
If the bags deploy, is it reasonably possible to replace them?
Thanks
Old 02-21-2019, 06:03 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by guytranspo
I’m considering a 944 Turbo, and I’m wondering about the later models with airbags.
Are there any concerns about the airbag system?
Are the 30 year old bags safe?
If the bags deploy, is it reasonably possible to replace them?
Thanks
I don't lose any sleep over the 30 year old airbags in my S2. Others have reported successful deployment. Unfortunately I think the airbag deployment causes dash damage which may or may not be repairable.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:24 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Airbags have a shelf life. That life is decreased when the car is exposed to heat, UV, cold, humidity, etc.

It is first-gen airbag technology. By the 90s manufacturers were recommending airbag systems be replaced after 13 years. I do not know what the official replacement schedule on these airbags is.

To my knowledge no one has done a sample test of first-gen airbags subject to 'average aging conditions.'

There is a fair bit of controversy on the 964 forums. There are a few examples of airbags deploying (without a crash) from vibration. The 964 uses a similar, if not identical, airbag. That said, the network of sensors and their location, effects from vibrations, etc. are going to be different.

If they deploy, the airbag portions of both the steering wheel and dashboard must be replaced. Porsche would have an official document outlining exactly what to replace of airbag systems in the case of deployment.

You could contact Porsche Classic or the original airbag manufacturer for any advice on shelf life.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:47 PM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I have also thought about this, and am seriously considering having them removed. I don’t know if by doing so will cause haywire to other systems, but people have done it (obviously in track cars), so it can and is done. Anyone out there ever done it on a road car? Personally, I have a hard time trusting a 30-year-old explosive sitting a foot from my face.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:13 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I have also thought about this, and am seriously considering having them removed. I don’t know if by doing so will cause haywire to other systems, but people have done it (obviously in track cars), so it can and is done. Anyone out there ever done it on a road car? Personally, I have a hard time trusting a 30-year-old explosive sitting a foot from my face.
Got rid of mine years ago. As you said, there is no way I wanted a 30 year old bomb pointed at my face or my passenger's face.

There are different ways to go about it. I followed Method 2 described here (http://www.944s2.com/)
Old 02-21-2019, 09:41 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Airbags have a shelf life. That life is decreased when the car is exposed to heat, UV, cold, humidity, etc.

It is first-gen airbag technology. By the 90s manufacturers were recommending airbag systems be replaced after 13 years. I do not know what the official replacement schedule on these airbags is.

To my knowledge no one has done a sample test of first-gen airbags subject to 'average aging conditions.'

There is a fair bit of controversy on the 964 forums. There are a few examples of airbags deploying (without a crash) from vibration. The 964 uses a similar, if not identical, airbag. That said, the network of sensors and their location, effects from vibrations, etc. are going to be different.

If they deploy, the airbag portions of both the steering wheel and dashboard must be replaced. Porsche would have an official document outlining exactly what to replace of airbag systems in the case of deployment.

You could contact Porsche Classic or the original airbag manufacturer for any advice on shelf life.
The recalls that delt with early airbags were usually dependant by the type of seal used to house the ignitor. I did a study years ago on these and actually it was most commonly american cars, gm comes to mind, from the first gens that needed replacing as they used a cheaper material that didn’t do well with age. I can’t recall though of the top of my head what material but it was apparently less common in higher end and imported vehicles. Especially when I got my 951 I tried to find an excuse not to get an 87 with airbags but most the research I found pointed to certain american companies having more issues.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:32 PM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
Got rid of mine years ago. As you said, there is no way I wanted a 30 year old bomb pointed at my face or my passenger's face.

There are different ways to go about it. I followed Method 2 described here (http://www.944s2.com/)
Oh great find! That site answers all my questions about this - thanks!
Old 02-22-2019, 12:23 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

FWIW, I'm not saying they should be removed or abandoned. They are a proven safety item.

(It is a different situation if the car is caged with a hardback seat and harnesses, full driver gear, etc.)

I am only saying that, like everything else, airbags have a maintenance schedule. What that schedule is I do not know.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:33 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 136 Posts

A little article on early airbags, has some info for thought.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Porsche-Airbag-Systems.pdf (2.73 MB, 197 views)
Old 02-22-2019, 09:03 AM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by jsheiry
A little article on early airbags, has some info for thought.
Good read, very insightful! Thank you sir.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:25 PM
sublm8
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 86 Posts

I researched this in great detail when I purchased my 968.

The consensus is that the OEM airbags, despite their age, continue to be safe. They have a very long service life and do not need to be replaced/deactivated unless there is another problem with the system.

There is no Porsche recommendation as far as timeframe for replacement. Periodic dealership inspection (every 2 years) is recommended; however, maintenance involves only a check confirming that the airbag warning light functions and a visual inspection of the system. Otherwise the system is presumed to be operating as intended. Additionally, the system is designed to perform an auto-diagnostic check with every startup, confirmed as operating normally when the airbag light goes out.

Airbag deletion could prove to be extremely problematic in the unfortunate circumstance of collision with personal injury, with risk that insurance would decline to cover due to tampering/modification of the factory safety system.

As noted in the attached article (which contains quite excellent information) the 1st gen Porsche SRS requires complete replacement of sensors, control unit, and airbag module in case of deployment. All parts are still available new from the dealership- but are staggeringly expensive.

The early systems are front-impact only. There is a safety system in the control module which prevents accidental deployment when the car is stationary. There must be a deceleration for the airbags to deploy - they are very unlikely to just go off randomly. It's actually a fairly sophisticated system, for the era. Even though they have some years on them, the Porsche engineers knew what they were doing and the airbag system is well-designed and robust.
The following users liked this post:
Qtrfoil (06-13-2023)
Old 02-22-2019, 07:20 PM
guytranspo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for everyone’s input on this subject.

Quick Reply: 944 Airbags