Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best place to get ignition (spark plug) wires

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 09:37 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Sam Lin
That's a real pile of minsinformation, please do some research before making blanket statements like that.

Sam
I've done my research and I'm sticking with it. The idea that a magnacore, or any wire without the proper resistance, could work as well in an application it wasn't designed for is marketing, not fact. Sometimes, you really do get what you pay for.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:44 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beru connectors make sure the same amount of voltage is getting to each plug. Cheap wires get less voltage the further away the plug is, because resistance depends largely on length.

Do some plugs/ cylinders require less spark?
Old 02-06-2004, 11:51 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well think of it this way. Porsche is a business, they like to make money. Why would they go with a more expensive beru style end, when they could just use standard wires and charge a hideous markeup?

Beru ends are used for a good reason, they ensure proper resistance to each connector, giving equal voltage to each plug. Having equal spark to each cylinder provides for a smooth running engine.

-Christian
Old 02-06-2004, 11:53 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So the magnacores i got for 50 bucks are junk?

Matt- not lovin' the comment,,,, but ill let it slide... but when you have 300 left in the bank, you can see where the 20 bucks is important. I imagine the magnacores will get me some spark, i dont need every little horsepower right now, i just want to get running at all. someone else said the magnacores worked great for them.. ill try them for now..
thanks guys.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:04 AM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by yieldsign2
So the magnacores i got for 50 bucks are junk?
No they are NOT junk. However These plug wires do not function the way the originals functioned. Which means in the short and long term, who'll know how it will effect your engine, and how efficiently it runs.

-Christian
Old 02-07-2004, 12:16 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

yieldsign2, I run the Magnecores, have near new stock wires collecting dust in the garage. Why? Because I've seen Supras, RX-7s, Corvettes, all test various brands of wire on the dyno, and the Magnecores have made the most power every single time. I won't run anything else.

Sam
Old 02-07-2004, 12:17 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

well ill try them out a while anyway.. probably better than mine which are possibly 10 years old :P
Old 02-07-2004, 12:18 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Thanks sam.. makes me feel like less of a dumbass for buying these.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:24 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by Dave
I've done my research and I'm sticking with it. The idea that a magnacore, or any wire without the proper resistance, could work as well in an application it wasn't designed for is marketing, not fact. Sometimes, you really do get what you pay for.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, add 951 to the list since I tested mine with whatever I had available as well. That means stock, Magnecore, something blue (Taylor?) and something else red (Nology?) - again, smoother power curve and slightly more power with the Magnecores, consistently. Dave, it sounds like you researched the idea - reality and theory differ quite often.

Sam
Old 02-07-2004, 01:11 AM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Checked out Kingsbourne. Lifetime warranty, Beru connectors 944S parts, $214.34!

They make the statement that adding new wires (not even theirs) will not improve hp. What people notice is that their car is running at its full potential due to new wires.

I just passed California emissions today so my old beater wires will stay for now!
Old 02-07-2004, 02:44 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

There is one thing that Magacor has going for them. The spiral wraped core, like a medium to heavy guitar string, is very flexable. So if you have an application where snaking the wire is important this will help. Should also help if you have a "cammed" engine that has a lot of lope or low rpm/idle vibration.

I would suggest a hot coil or cap discharge high voltage source.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:59 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've been running Magnecors for the last few years, based on the recommendation of several people- not sure about it, but, they seem to have run great- maybe I'll get Berus next, but, that will be a few years- & ONLY if I become a little more convinced they'll beat the Magnecors- I'd really like to try Nology's, but....$$$
Old 02-07-2004, 12:41 PM
joseywhales
Instructor

I had my #1 plug that was showing oil at tip when I purchased from PO so I checked it a couple of times to monitor after plug and wire change and my boot ripped on the Mag so I had to replace. I was using a plug wrench cause I was unable to grip w/ hand. Beru style do seem to be more durable easier to grip for removal. But i,m happy w/ Mag's. Scott
Old 02-07-2004, 02:23 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by joseywhales
I was using a plug wrench cause I was unable to grip w/ hand. Beru style do seem to be more durable easier to grip for removal. But i,m happy w/ Mag's. Scott
Yes, this is one thing I will agree w/about hte Magnecors- they are a bitch to grab ahold of & remove....
Old 02-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Devon - while I meant no harm, these cars can be really hard to enjoy/fix with 300 bucks available. I promise I meant no harm but there is some truth to what I said.

Quick Reply: Best place to get ignition (spark plug) wires