Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004 | 08:22 PM
Pearceman3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Steering Wheels

what do you guys think about these? http://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...sort=3&rows=50

i think some of them look really nice...has anyone here ever purchased one of these? I would hate to jump into one of these cuz the $200 it would cost me with a hub adapter is alot of money. I was also thinking of the one at 944online but it looks a lil ricey to me...but i like the price since it includes the porsche emblem and hub for $120. Does anyone know if 944online has more that they just dont have on thier website?
Old 02-05-2004 | 08:48 PM
jp944
Pro

The three spoke hubs are just like some APC hubs sold at pep boys for $59. Pop out the horn button, insert porsche decal and you're done. The adapter and extension will probably run you another $20.

jp
Old 02-05-2004 | 11:34 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Can't believe this. Was just at PEP Boys today looking at the APC wheels. the hub adapter is 15 and it also needs an extension which is around 20. does anybody have an experience with the quality of these wheels?
Old 02-05-2004 | 11:49 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

If you are going to spend $150 on one of those wheels, personally i would go with something different, maybe a Grant, Dino, Momo or Sparco wheel. Those wheels would look out of place in the interior of our cars in my opinion. I replaced my stock 3-spoke with a Momo,

Momo Wheel - $215 <-- just for my particular wheel, they have much cheaper ones that still have a real race look (and dont look out of place) for under $115.
Momo Hub Adapter - $55

If you want the Porsche crest horn button, that runs anoTher $45 i believe, have seen them on Ebay every few days.

Installation is incredibly simple if you have a non-airbag car. The hardest thing i believe is finding the the 24mm socket to take the wheel off. From there its just a matter of sliding on the new hub and bolting on the steering wheel. My father always asks me about how i installed the Momo on my car, it took me ten minutes in the parking lot of my school, he still dosent believe me though.
Old 02-06-2004 | 04:35 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Yeah the non-airbag wheels are a breeze to change up...but like techno duck says the 24mm socket is not a common size...
I've seen this guy selling those same wheels on Ebay for over 2 years now...IMO the 4 spoke wheels are THE most GHETTO wheels you could put in your car...and the quality of those wheels does not look good...just spend the extra cash on a used good brand one like Momo.
Old 02-06-2004 | 06:55 AM
billybones
Burning Brakes

Buy what looks good to you. you have to look at it. and have to handle it.. If it fits and you like the look. Then buy it.. momo is highpriced.. and is quality.. but in the end do you like the looks? will it break if you turn it?... just my opinion.. steering wheel is personal. not for looks.. it is your connection to the car.....diameter is more important as all of our hands are different sizes and we all like different feels.. small and thin is for some, thick is better for others.. wood? rubber? leather... steering wheel is your choice.. not someone elses... It makes a HUGE difference in drive feel.... my 2 cents.
Old 02-06-2004 | 09:54 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Pearceman3

Buy a Momo steering wheel, I have an Momo hub adapter for an early car like yours that I can let go to you for a song...........
Old 02-06-2004 | 11:04 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

My Son put one of these bargin wheels on his car. The build quality is so-so. His main complaint is the vinyl is very slippery if your hands aren't perfectly dry. He's tried many times to de-gloss it and it still is too slick. My Momo with leather has never had the grip problem and I love the feel. Momo has an outlet site with some pretty good specials some time.

http://www.ltbmotorsports.com
Old 02-06-2004 | 11:18 AM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

I would advise you to look at the hub adapter design, too, especially with a non airbag car. I am in the process of installing a Sparco wheel on my airbag car, and went with a Momo hub adaptor. These adaptors are designed to be collapsible, so that if you are in an accident, the adaptor will deform, before your head does. (Yes, your head can hit the steering wheel, even with a seatbelt on.)

Also, with steering wheels, I tend to think that the name brands are more expensive for a reason. My Sparco wheel uses Alcantara and leather to provide an excellent grip and feel, the Pep Boys stuff, not so much.

Not trying to be a snob on this, but it is arguably the single most important input device in the car.

-Jon
Old 02-06-2004 | 12:11 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally posted by tifosiman
Pearceman3

Buy a Momo steering wheel, I have an Momo hub adapter for an early car like yours that I can let go to you for a song...........
What song do you want to hear? Just kidding. How much do you want for the adapter? is that all ia would need?
Old 02-06-2004 | 01:51 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Definitely buy something that you not only like, but that feels good in your hands.

I went a bit more of an expensive route. I used my $100 PCA discount coupon and ordered me a 968CS wheel from Sunset Porsche in Oregon as they give huge discounts compared to regular dealer price. I think I ended up paying a little over $200 for mine with the discount and coupon or something, they are about $400 regular dealer price. However it's an incredibly nice wheel and doesn't require me to move my head in any funky ways to see instruments (some wheels will block your view some with their smaller diameter) and it it awesome to drive with, great grip, no adapter needed, etc.

924 posts!!!!
Old 02-06-2004 | 01:57 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally posted by jeeper31
What song do you want to hear? Just kidding. How much do you want for the adapter? is that all ia would need?
If Pearceman3 buys a Rennlist Membership, I will give it to him for free, plus shipping.
Old 02-06-2004 | 01:58 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

I bought my Momo wheel and adapter from LTB Motorsport also, very friendly people and i highly recommend them. As for the hub, you will need Momo # 8010, same as the hub for the VW Rabbit i think.

As for the wheel diamter, the Momo i have on it now blocks the temp gauge slightly, nothing a slight tilt of the head cant solve however.
Old 02-06-2004 | 05:01 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

P3,

I bought one of the wheels he's selling for 99-109 and it's great. I bought the momo hub from Pelican for $59.00. Everyone that sees my car mentions how nice the wheel looks. It's not the same quality as momo, dino, etc. but looks as good as some of their wheels that cost over $200.

Installation was simple.

good luck!
Old 02-06-2004 | 05:39 PM
JR Reed
Advanced

I bought one from him and it is a great item. He has slow shipping but the price was great and I love the new wheel.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheels