Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total newbie question (don't flame me...I did a search)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 03:28 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 357 Posts
Default Total newbie question (don't flame me...I did a search)

Hey guys, just bought my first 944 (1986 NA body, lt1 swap with a bunch of track goodies, 951 transmission with lsd, 951 brakes, etc...) and I'm super excited. It is being shipped as I type this and I haven't even laid eyes on it yet, but from the pics on ebay it is very cosmetically challenged (it was a good deal!). So, I'm considering some body mods as it is likely going to need paint anyway. Here are my first two questions:

1) Are 951 rear fenders the same as the NA rear fenders? As crazy as it sounds I have done a ton of searches and I'm coming up with mixed results. Are they the same?
2) Assuming the 951 fenders are wider, would it be stupid/bad/unbalanced/horrible looking to add the 951 front fenders (and bumper) up front and leave the rear fenders alone in standard 944NA form?

Thanks all! Pics incoming as soon as it arrives later this week! (be warned...its a bit rough!).
Old 02-06-2019, 04:32 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
Hey guys, just bought my first 944 (1986 NA body, lt1 swap with a bunch of track goodies, 951 transmission with lsd, 951 brakes, etc...) and I'm super excited. It is being shipped as I type this and I haven't even laid eyes on it yet, but from the pics on ebay it is very cosmetically challenged (it was a good deal!). So, I'm considering some body mods as it is likely going to need paint anyway. Here are my first two questions:

1) Are 951 rear fenders the same as the NA rear fenders? As crazy as it sounds I have done a ton of searches and I'm coming up with mixed results. Are they the same?
2) Assuming the 951 fenders are wider, would it be stupid/bad/unbalanced/horrible looking to add the 951 front fenders (and bumper) up front and leave the rear fenders alone in standard 944NA form?

Thanks all! Pics incoming as soon as it arrives later this week! (be warned...its a bit rough!).
Everyone was Newbie sometime Quarters and fenders are all the same for the 944.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:39 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhowell371
Everyone was Newbie sometime Quarters and fenders are all the same for the 944.
Thank you for the quick response! So, width is the same, correct? However, I thought the front turbo finders were cut a tad different in the leading edge to integrate into the turbo style bumper, correct? I just bought my first dual action polisher...should be interesting to see what I can do with the heavily oxidized single stage (guards red) paint. i'm going to do everything I possibly can myself and see what I can do.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:53 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

You are correct. The front fenders are cut different.

My understanding is the rears are all the same.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:47 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

The fronts are cut differently and both the fronts and the rears have “attachment” differences also. The attachments are welded in on the turbo front an rear fenders for the extended rockets and also there are holes located on the rear fenders to attach the turbo diffuser. You can work around everything but nothing is ever simple
Old 02-12-2019, 12:34 AM
jblobner
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good option if you're not sure what to do with the paint is to wrap it. I have wrapped mine twice in the last 18 months. Once red and once white(current). The DIY is not hard on 944 at all. $500 to $600 depending on the manufacturer. Added the side skirts when I did the white. I am local to Phoenix if you want to give it a shot. Happy to help.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:34 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Jbloner, that looks amazing! I need to come check out your ride sometime! I'd love to take a look at your wrap job up close. I love diy projects and this is exactly the type of thing I'd love to take on, as I have no problem disassembling every piece of trim to get a good result. Are you in the east valley? I'm in Gilbert.

There is only one problem...car arrived on Sunday and it is even rougher shape than I thought. LOTS of dents (that the ebay pics coincidentally omitted/obscured). I was really hoping that I would just have to buff out the "red/pink" single stage paint, but nope, someone repainted it in the past with a clear coat finish. I've managed to compound out about 50% of the car and it looks way better than it did, but you obviously can't polish out dents and chips. Luckily, the front fenders are the worst and those can be easily replaced, and I want to do a carbon/fiberglass hood anyway, so I can source those, but there are lots of chips and scratches elsewhere that I'm worried would telegraph through any wrap unless a smooth out with bondo etc...

Below are a few pics of the "polished turd" as I now affectionately refer to it! You can see my wife's reaction in the first pic LOL! The second pic shows the results of compounding on part of the hood. I should post a "refreshstoration" thread to document the progress. So far I have fixed the broken shifter surround, fixed a bunch of switches, "unstuck" the rear latch (so much fun crawling back there over the roll bar with my 6'4" frame), fixed a power steering leak, fixed the floppy "hanging on by the wires" side mirror, replaced a missing turn signal and housing, re-fitted the driver's side carpet, conditioned all the rubber, compounded (with DA polisher) 50% of the car, re-attached the loose rear bumper valance pieces, and lots of other little stuff here and there. Still need to address the pass side window that won't go all the way up and mess with a balky ignition switch. Tonight I'm going to tackle the omp wheel install and tomorrow I'm taking out the reclinable sparco's and adding my evo2's. Once I get all that in order I will start putting her on a diet to get rid of some weight! On the up side, it pulls great, shifts smooth, and aside from a power steering squeal and leak it seems to be in great working order and the interior is not trashed at least!
Old 02-12-2019, 08:06 PM
jblobner
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The buff looks great. Yes, I am in Queen Creek. The wrap wasn't hard, but I made a lot of mistakes. Second time is much better than the first. The third will be perfect. Going back to red. The car is red and going from red to white was a challenge It is much easier if you prep like paint. Learned that on second round. Take all the parts off. My inteitior was trashed and none of the electrical worked. I'm down to 2 issues. The cruise is not functional and the oil level indicator light is on. Happy to exchange notes I've done a lot of work.

Quick Reply: Total newbie question (don't flame me...I did a search)