Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Motor Mount Debate-

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004 | 07:57 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Default OEM Motor Mount Debate-

Yes I did many searches!

After reading everything I could from my searches I'm still a bit confused if all non-OEM mounts are crap or not. The term "OEM" seemed to be used loosely by some vendors to describe anything with a Porsche part # stamped on it. I would assume that all OEM makers would be Euro if they provided Porsche with factory parts like Pagid, Brembo, and Bosch.

My simple questions are:

1. Does any vendor sell "dealer OEM" quality mounts (i.e. liquid-filled) mounts for less than $100/ ea. ?

2. Does any vendor sell a high quality OEM mount that performs well, maybe not as well, for less than $60/ea. ?

I always favor OEM if the track record for a specific aftermarket product is poor. I need mounts soon and will be doing both cars so I'm trying to get my Porsche dollars to stretch as far as possible.

Someone out there must be happy with an aftermarket mount. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
Old 02-04-2004 | 08:12 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: OEM Motor Mount Debate-

Originally posted by 2Tight
Someone out there must be happy with an aftermarket mount.

Steve
Really? I've NEVER heard of a single case.

Sam
Old 02-04-2004 | 08:32 PM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

Lindsey has the supermounts but they are expensive and I've not heard any feedback about performance; they are probably too new to rate for durability
Old 02-04-2004 | 08:58 PM
Matt H
Race Director

The supermounts are THE answer but at that price you can put in a few SETS of OEM mounts.
Old 02-04-2004 | 09:06 PM
oi-punx
Racer

Please learn from my mistake and get the real deal. I had new (non OEM) mounts installed by my mechanic less than 2 years ago as the original ones were shot. The price seemed really good at the time....$300 installed.

Less than 3k miles and almost 2 years now and they are bad again. I suppose sometimes you really do get what you pay for.
Old 02-04-2004 | 09:08 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com...t=Engine+Mount

That's a link but I don't know the differance between aftermarket and the oem they are the same thing from the same company but one is the OEM Porsche part that came with the car. Anyone have any ideas of those would be good I need a set soon.
Old 02-04-2004 | 09:15 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just because it is produced by an OEM for the aftermarket doesn't mean it is truly built to Porsche's specifications. Buy the Genuine Porsche parts and be done with it. I replaced mine a few years ago with German aftermarket and they failed in about 1 year of driving. I then ordered Genuine Porsche parts from Paragon and they have been fine since.

Paragon sells both Aftermarket and Genuine OE.
Old 02-04-2004 | 09:22 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

http://www.vertexauto.com/item.wws?s...vertexauto.com

They say OEM but the price is really cheap if they really are anyone know if they are?

Manning
I see your point I'm going to go with the OEM ones but need to find the best place to buy them from.

Matt H
Those supermounts are nice lifetime to the owner but the price ouch...
Old 02-04-2004 | 09:55 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Guess that answers that question! Besides buying from the dealer then, how do you know when the part is a true Porsche replacement from an outside vendor? Is there only one manufacturer label for the true liquid filled Porsche unit? I have a new spare mount that came with the 83. What's the best way to tell a clone from the real thing? Is the same true for the trans mount, are the aftermarket ones also junk? Sorry about all the questions.
Guess there's no free luch when it comes to quality.

Thanks Again

Steve
Old 02-04-2004 | 09:59 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do a search, the question was answered very well about 2 months ago with side-by-side pics comparing and each detail clearly described. Vertex was specifically mentioned as well.

Sam
Old 02-04-2004 | 10:38 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Searched and the vertex ones suck don't buy don't buy. How about the ones from lindsey the metal ones that are aftermarket for 65$ each?

Matt H
I saw a post when I did the search that you might get those to put in with your 500lbs springs did you ever get those and are they any good will they last?
Old 02-04-2004 | 11:08 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Thanks Sam,
I'll do another search and try to pin down the thread you mentioned. A man could grow old reading every thread that came up with the words "motor mount". Is the longevity of Porsche mounts just as short for the air-cooled crowd?

Edit: I found the link with the photos, thanks Sam, you saved me a lot of reading and probably a lot of grease work!

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...x&pagenumber=2

Steve
Old 02-04-2004 | 11:10 PM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

The metal ones wouldn't dampen any vibrations, they are for race applications really. The supermounts are $500 I believe, but Matt's right, you could replace the OEM mounts several times for that money. $500 is a stack o' cash for motor mounts.
Old 02-05-2004 | 07:58 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Genuine Porsche Mounts will be sold as such and will come in Porsche bags / boxes. Aftermarket ones will come in whatever....

Matt
Old 02-05-2004 | 11:25 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Seb - I would probably not recommend solid mounts for 99.9% of people. You will hate the ride and vibration. I, on the other hand, am willing to live it. If I wanted a luxury car I would have bought one (oh wait, I DID!). In so much as this is a sports car I can deal with it. MOST people are not going to be able to deal with it. I can say that if I were concerned at all about the vibrations, noises, etc. I would order my Porsche mounts from Paragon, in fact when I replaced them on my last one that is exactly what I did.

Should be obvious that I dont care much about the ride as I am going to use Bilstein inverted struts with heavy springs, coil over rears with no t-bars, etc. Part of owning a sports car is the rough around the edges feel.

Quick Reply: OEM Motor Mount Debate-