Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 mechanical issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 05:17 PM
Hemonster
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 mechanical issue

Hello.
I was driving and all of a sudden I heard a pop and stoped. I then drove off the road hearing noise from the rear. Parked it when I brought a trailer it wouldn't move anymore but still made a noise like the cv joints snapped inside. I replaced the joints and the car will roll again when put into gear but makes sounds like it is slipping. The speedometer goes up and matches the rpm say 5k rpm and speedo reads 30 is but the car barely moves and still makes a sort of pop sound.the transmission case when I pop the dust cover off looks like some brown dust may have ground off from something but there is no evident wear or damage visable. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated of course. It's an 88 XD
Old 01-29-2019, 07:11 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

This could be the coupling between the TTube and the trans input shaft. There's an inspection plug on the TT you can pull to check this. Pull the trans drain plug and check for metal. With the car jacked up and the rear wheels free, see if you can rotate the tires,,,or, you can try to start the engine and see if the rear wheels turn at all or if they are locked up. Hopefully it's just the coupling..Keep us posted. Thanks
Old 01-30-2019, 12:24 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

if your speedo, which is coming from a drive gear on the transaxle, shows speed, then the input shaft should still be connected to the gear box. Possibly I'm wondering if you've sheared some teeth on the pinion gear or the input shaft bearing ate itself, causing bad meshing of the pinion gear to the rest of the transaxle .A visual inspection of the coupling (two bolts) is warranted. I do agree with draining the trans fluid to see if there's metal in it. In the absence of any obvious findings I'd pull the passenger side CV joint off, then the transaxle side cover and do a real visual inspection of the insides. Keep us appraised of your findings. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:15 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

If the speedo is spinnin, then the ring and pinion are doing their job... and you even have the driver's side output flange spinning.

Chock the wheels, put it in gear, let the clutch out, then go behind the car and see what's turning and what's not. I have a hunch you either have a bad CV joint (you said your replaced those recently? what quality parts did you use?) or a snapped stub axle.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:45 PM
Hemonster
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re

The two bolts on the input are held up. The cv joins are new like I haven't even drove on them with weight guess I'm going to take of the tran
​​​​​

Quick Reply: 944 mechanical issue