Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear end clanking noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 05:00 PM
camelman
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Rear end clanking noise

There’s a bad bad noise coming from the rear end on Limpy (1983 944). Supposedly has 65k miles on it. Left side rear bearing was replaced by PO, and he said the RR is going bad too. We had Limpy off the ground yesterday for new shocks, and didn’t hear the clacking with the engine turning the wheels in the air. I’m used to a roar for a bad bearing, and there is a minor roar, but this clacking has me confused. It seems to correspond with hops in the speedo too.

Any ideas? Just a bad bearing?
Attached Files
Old 01-13-2019, 05:17 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by camelman
There’s a bad bad noise coming from the rear end on Limpy (1983 944). Supposedly has 65k miles on it. Left side rear bearing was replaced by PO, and he said the RR is going bad too. We had Limpy off the ground yesterday for new shocks, and didn’t hear the clacking with the engine turning the wheels in the air. I’m used to a roar for a bad bearing, and there is a minor roar, but this clacking has me confused. It seems to correspond with hops in the speedo too.

Any ideas? Just a bad bearing?
Could be a failed CV joint, raise the rear of the car and move the stubaxle shafts to determine amount of play. Also hold stubaxle shaft and rotate rear wheel CW & CCW to see if you can replicate the sound.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:31 AM
camelman
Racer

Is the stub axle the shaft with the CV joints? If so, then when you say to hold it and rotate the tire, is the purpose to “load” the CV joint to make the bad portion of it click? We tried this unloaded with the rear tires off the ground and the clanking noise wasn’t noticeable. I can try it again adding resistance to the half shaft with my hand while rotating the wheel if that’s what you’re suggesting.

Thanks,
Camelman
Old 01-14-2019, 08:20 AM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Is the stub axle the shaft with the CV joints? If so, then when you say to hold it and rotate the tire, is the purpose to “load” the CV joint to make the bad portion of it click? We tried this unloaded with the rear tires off the ground and the clanking noise wasn’t noticeable. I can try it again adding resistance to the half shaft with my hand while rotating the wheel if that’s what you’re suggesting.

Thanks,
Camelman
YES
Old 01-14-2019, 09:22 PM
Stevieporsche
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
YES
I have lost a couple of these CVs and they would sort of groan when turning on the interstate on ramps. I just bought a new half shaft and bolted it back in place. Finding the cheesehead wrench to remove those bolts on each end will take longer than the actual repair. Even if you know the wrench is somewhere in your garage from last time u did this job! Lol
Old 01-14-2019, 09:40 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

I’ve heard a bunch of noises from the rear however damaged cv’s, loose axles, bad trans, rear wheel bearings, etc don’t imo “clank”. The only thing back there that would make a clanking sound would be either a loose muffler or muffler heat shield.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:29 AM
camelman
Racer

Originally Posted by MAGK944
I’ve heard a bunch of noises from the rear however damaged cv’s, loose axles, bad trans, rear wheel bearings, etc don’t imo “clank”. The only thing back there that would make a clanking sound would be either a loose muffler or muffler heat shield.
The noise doesn’t jibe with bad bearings from my experience, but it does correspond perfectly with rotation of the rear wheels. The speedo needle also bounces in concert with the clang from the rear, but I don’t know if there’s any relationship there. I need to try T&T’s suggestion of loading the axle shaft while turning the wheel.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:32 AM
Constantine
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 132 Posts

While you are back at the transmission area, double check the rear drive shaft clamp to transmission input shaft. You have to remove the rubber plug in the aluminum flange to get at the clamp. The bolts sometimes get loose or were not tightened correctly if it was loosened before for other work. The two bolts should be tightened to 59 ft. lbs. and a good torque wrench should be used.

A loose clamp can make this clanking noise.

HTH.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:33 PM
Dwizle
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The noise doesn’t jibe with bad bearings from my experience, but it does correspond perfectly with rotation of the rear wheels. The speedo needle also bounces in concert with the clang from the rear, but I don’t know if there’s any relationship there. I need to try T&T’s suggestion of loading the axle shaft while turning the wheel.
You prob **** the trany ring gear housing had the same happen to me
Old 01-16-2019, 04:41 PM
camelman
Racer

What exactly do you mean by "tranny ring gear housing"? Which part did you specifically damage to cause this noise to happen? I discovered we have an open diff, so I'm leaning towards getting a limited slip anyway, If there's something wrong with the structure of our differential, then I'll focus on a completely new trans as opposed to swapping in an LSD.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:59 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

What exactly do you mean by "tranny ring gear housing"? Which part did you specifically damage to cause this noise to happen? I discovered we have an open diff, so I'm leaning towards getting a limited slip anyway, If there's something wrong with the structure of our differential, then I'll focus on a completely new trans as opposed to swapping in an LSD.
I cannot comment on the "tranny ring gear housing" but if the decision is to go for an LSD, then contact Kevin Gross, Rennlister, to rebuild the transaxle with an LSD and short 5th gear for racing.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:56 PM
Dwizle
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

the housing that holds the spider gear in the diff cracks and what you hear in the gears and housing banging together as they both spin it wont do it with just one wheel spining

Quick Reply: Rear end clanking noise