Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is my hood like this..pic!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004 | 02:52 AM
Redlyne_mr2
Racer

Default Why is my hood like this..pic!

The front driver side corner of my hood sits half an inch or so higher than where it should be...why is that? Is there an adjustment I can make to fix this? thanks
Old 02-03-2004 | 03:12 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Hmm...and it looks like the other side is sitting lower than it should...kinda strange, has it been in an accident? What about the hood hinges?
Old 02-03-2004 | 04:41 AM
johne
Burning Brakes

Yep you can adjust it. the holes in the hood hinges are elongated. So if you have a friend hold the hood you can loosen the bolts a little and adjust the angle of each side of the hood.

regards,
John
Old 02-03-2004 | 04:59 AM
sweanders
Race Director

On the 928 there are small rubber feet at the corner of the hood, if you turn them they'll go up or down. Not sure if it's the same on 944's.
Old 02-03-2004 | 09:24 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey;

As far as height goes, the hood hinges are only for adjusting the BACK corners of the hood to match the fenders. They also do fore & aft of the entire hood. They have NOTHING to do with the height of the front.

The front height is governed by the lock pin and the rubber bumpers (non-adjustable). You NEED the rubber bumpers in place, and in good condition. Then you adjust the pin up or down to get the right final height and closing tension.

Are the side gaps on your hood even with the fenders and front panel? Yours is up on the left and down on the right. If the gaps are not even, first I would take a tape measure and cross measure between two fender bolts on opposite sides. Pick the first on the left and fourth on the right (or whatever combination you want) and vise-versa to get a square measurement. If the numbers are different, your car is tweaked and you're dogmeat!

If the numbers are the same, here we go. You need even gaps all around, and THIS is where the hinge adjustments come into play. You slide those back and forth depending on what you need to get. You will also have to adjust them up & down to get the rear height to match the fenders.

If you are missing a bumper, then that is your problem. If the hood is not square, I could guess that right now your left front side-gap is very tight, and your right front side-gap is wide. Also, the right front-edge gap is likely tight and the left front edge gap is probably wide. This means the hood is not square in the opening.

Also remember that the hood pin will adjust side-to-side, but only a very little bit. Keep this in mind if you are playing the hood inside its opening. If you adjust too far, the pin won't center in the latch.

Simple, eh?

Do some analysis and right back with your findings.
Old 02-03-2004 | 12:20 PM
Redlyne_mr2
Racer

Wow thanks alot, Ill have to weight for the weather to warm up as the car is currently under a car cover with snow on it and it's freezing outside but Ill definitely report my results when the time comes.
thanks again
Ryan
Old 02-03-2004 | 02:03 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

About that hood pin in the front, a flat head screw driver should be used to turn it right? I was trying with no success before to get that thing to turn at all. Vise grips didnt grip onto its shape to well either. When i get home, ill give it a hood spraying of liquid wrench.
Old 02-03-2004 | 02:06 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Looks like my car. You don't have a monster MAF and cone filter under there, do you?
Old 02-03-2004 | 02:50 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes there is a slot on the hood pin for a flat blade screwdriver, but you have to loosen the 13mm? nut at the base of the pin in order to allow the pin to be turned. The nut acts as a lock on the pin to strengthen it and keep it from backing out.
Old 02-03-2004 | 04:42 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

I knew that nut was their for a reason , heh no wonder the damn thing wouldnt turn! Thanks Jay.

Quick Reply: Why is my hood like this..pic!