Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommdation for PPI in Atlanta?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 12:32 PM
sdparks
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommdation for PPI in Atlanta?

Now I'm considering buying a 951 in Atlanta. It looks good, very, very good. Probably doesn't have limited slip, but I've decided to put the overall condition of the car ahead of LSD, which at least can be retrofitted (a 100,000 mile LSD would probably have to be rebuilt anyway). The owner says the t-belt and clutch have been replaced recently, and I've requested records.

Can anyone recommend a top shop in Atlanta for a PPI?

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:50 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can only offer my 2 experiences (buying and selling my car). You'll hear a lot of people bitch and moan about Automobile Atlanta (http://www.autoatlanta.com/), but they did a Fantastic job on my buying PPI. There were things on there that seemed a little picky to me (after owning the car for awhile), but being a buyer that's something I'd want. I wholeheartidly recomend them.... others will dispute me.

When I sold my 951 (just a couple weeks ago), I pointed the buyer to either Jim Ellis (Porsche dealership - http://www.jimellis.com/) or Performance Imports (http://www.performanceimportsatlanta.com/)... he chose Perfomance based on a phone call with them and my saying that they treated me well for 1 prior visit (wheel bearings). They charged a fair bit more, and did a LOT less... it looks like they just looked at the odometer and just listed things that should be replaced at that mileage. There was NO compression check, NO verification of anything they claimed was wrong, and a generally ****-poor attitude about the whole deal. On top of that they managed to break an electrical connection for the cam speed sensor (required for the car to run), so the car died on me about .2 of a mile down the road. I know it was solid and Very stuck because I'd just tried to get it apart not to long before.... no mention at all of that damage. Overall I'm less than impressed with the shop and would never recomend anyone take their 944/951/968 to them (they're 911 snobs as best I can tell).

Hopefully you can get some other, better suggestions from the other guys in this area. Just out fo curiousity, where's the car located? That might help in narrowing down the shops a little (finding one a little more local to the seller). Good luck!
Old 02-02-2004, 02:38 PM
sdparks
Intermediate

I think the car is in the buford area.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:21 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hrm... I'm not to famaliar with that area.

Anyway, here's a link page off the Peachstate PCA web page that has some shops in the area listed (not all have links, but you should be able to get phone #'s if you want to contact them):

http://www.peachstatepca.org/links.html

I've heard a few good thing about "International Performance Center", but that's a fair drive from Buford.... I think the Jim Ellis dealership might be your best bet... unless someone can chime in otherwise.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:38 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

I actually do think AA would do a nice PPI... They worked on me once or twice... no other experience with shops though.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:40 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Buford is NE atl, AA is NW atl, Jim Ellis is in the middle of N atl
Old 02-02-2004, 09:45 PM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

AA also did a good job on my post purchase inspection.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:40 PM
sdparks
Intermediate

Damn, the owner tells me he is supposed to be getting a deposit from someone in CA who wants to see the car this weekend, though he hasn't heard from the guy in a couple of days. Looks like I might have been too slow.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:49 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beat the other guy to a deposit.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:06 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Stephen, i was looking at a red 915 in that area about five months ago. THe car I was looking at was Red with a black interior. Had had a re-paint. The seller tried to tell me somebody was going to pay cash for it. I don't know if it's the same one, but a PPI from Jim Ellis Porsche saved my *** from over $7K in matenence.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:14 PM
sdparks
Intermediate

Originally posted by jabbadeznuts
Stephen, i was looking at a red 915 in that area about five months ago. THe car I was looking at was Red with a black interior. Had had a re-paint. The seller tried to tell me somebody was going to pay cash for it. I don't know if it's the same one, but a PPI from Jim Ellis Porsche saved my *** from over $7K in matenence.
This one is gray, but that is still good to keep in mind.

Quick Reply: Recommdation for PPI in Atlanta?