Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968CS questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 08:43 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 968CS questions...

I'm cross-posting this from the 968 forum, as I'm not sure how active that forum is...

I just read an online article about the 968CS & the 968S- it said that the CS was not avaiable in the US, although I always thought it was- I've seen the pics of the ones w/body colored wheels, etc, but never knew if they weere avaiable here or not... anyway, the article said the CS was avaiable w/manual windows, locks, & mirrors, etc, as well as no rear seat- it was supposed to have a fiberglass panel covering the rear area instead- I've seen the 968 cab rear storage trays & would really like to have one in place of my rear seats, but, I'm afraid it wouldn't really save any weight, which is my main reason for wanting rid of the seats anyway, since they contribute nothing to the car BUT weight, as no one over ~10yrs old could sit back there... So, I'm wondering- can anyone confirm if the CS did indeed have manual windows, mirrors, locks, & this rear seat panel? I would especially like to see a pic of the rear seat area, if it does have something there instead of seats, if someone could show me one...

thanks a lot,
Old 02-01-2004, 09:11 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

None sold here, ever. A few have snuck in. The one I saw in person was specced out with stock seats, and had the usual rear seat arrangement. I posted more over on the 968 forum.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:20 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Robby,
Do you mind linking the article? I'd like to read it a I am a big fan of the CS.

Thanks,
Daniel
Old 02-01-2004, 09:23 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input- I saw your other response too- are there pictures in that book of the interior? I would REALLY like to get some pics of the deleted rear seat , to a lesser extent, the manual windows & door panels- the specs you mentioned were exactly what I'd read in the article- the single radiator cooling fan, etc- I would LOVE to get one of these cars & start from the sheel- have a factory wiring harness built for ONLY the things I'd want- evidently, that wiring adds up- I remember an article on Mark Anderson's 928GTS & how they went through & removed the wiring harness & only put back what they needed- they said the harness weighed >80lbs- IIRC, they said they only had ~20lbs left when done- of course, it was a full track car & even many lights were removed. Anyway, if I could start from a shell & build my way up w/ONLY whatever I wanted on the car....well... I'd have a cool car.... I'd ALSO have a lot of $ too, as that's the only way I could afford it...

That REALLY surprises me though- I really thought the CS was avaiable in the US- whayt wasn't it anyway?

Thanks a lot...
Old 02-01-2004, 09:31 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

The main title page is:

http://www.qv500.com/indexporsche.htm

Then you scroll down to the car itself.... The CS is part 2 of the 968 stuff...

That link is:

http://www.qv500.com/porsche968p2.htm

Evidently, there were some options to the CS too- one could get a luxury, option, security option, sport option, etc, that all added back various things... I really don't understand why they didn't bring it here... would have been cool- they DID bring the 968S here though, but it was a little late... there weren't manydifferences w/it, but,eveidently, the CS was one of the best recieved lightweight Porsche's made- the article says that many people who hated the 968 upon it's inception, came to love the CS...

MY MAIN reason for asaking about all this is the rear seat thing- I remember the 911RS America had a panel of some sort that got rid of the rear seat- I would like something along those lines- I neeed to find someone who can make something cool for the rear area out of CF or something light, that could still withstand some weight- could throw groceries on it, etc.... anway...
Old 02-01-2004, 09:43 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Robby, no '968S' was ever brought here-there was a 968 Sport offered in Europe, it was a recontented CS with air, electric windows, etc.

Morgan doesn't have a back seat shot of the CS. I'd imagine it's similar to the rear parcel shelf on the 964 Turbo S, do a net search maybe something will come up. These have 'Turbo S' done in script in the shelf-a rather nice flatnose 964 Turbo S was parked next to me at a Porsche picnic and the rear shelf looked really neat.

Since so few 968's were sold here it didn't make sense for Porsche to have to recertify a new model-with different cooling, wiring, etc they may have had to go through the EPA/DOT stuff again and figured why bother. That's just an educated guess. It was done in the UK to bring the price down and move some cars.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:17 AM
Alex Cook
Instructor

This is the only pic I can find of a CS rear seat area - not the best but you get the idea:

And another of the interior (the blue trim on the dash and doors is aftermarket):

Old 02-01-2004, 11:57 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info guys- I guess I just misunderstood about the "S"

Alex- thanks for the pics- is that YOUR car? what's on the other side then? I mean, the view from other direction? It's much different than I pictured- it;s much higher it looks like- looks like it's about the same height as the rear deck(?). That seems strange, actually- the 968 CAB rear tray has the two cubbies int it b/c it sticks UP, but, it's STILL lower than that- it's comes ~3 or 4" lower than the rear deck when installed in a coupe. Since this one's higher, it makes me wonder here- is it just a panel & then carpet straight over the seats, so that you have little cubboes there (with or w/out the doors) OR is it boxed off so that it's hollow? this would make the least amount of sense, as it would then be wasted space, but...

Also- what kind of pedals are those? They look cool- the accel looks like it's in a great relationship to the brake- the 951's are too far apart, but, otherwise, are in nice relationship to each other- I just boguht some SParcos & am building some pedal spacers to get further back int the car- the pedal covers are a little wider, but, I doubt they'll be as close together as your's- those look really nice...

Also- that shows the manual windows- definatley out for me- you wouldn't be abe to use them w/regular 968 door pockets, or else you'd have to somehow slide your hand down into the pocket while the crank was in that position (from about 4:00 to 8:00)... well, at least this post helped me decide one thing....

Thanks
Old 02-01-2004, 02:09 PM
Alex Cook
Instructor

Robby

No, that's not my car - but I do know the owner (he's selling the car & moving to Australia so it's for sale: 968CS for sale )

The best way I can describe the shelf is it's like any 944/968 with the seats folded down. Underneath the board is a gap of about 6" above the rear seat bases - a lot of people use this space to mount a CD changer (bolted to the underside of the board).

Those are RUF pedals according to the EBay description. The car was imported from Germany so it has lots of trick bits - TechArt exhaust, painted wheels, engine rebuild by the Kremer racing team etc - it's a nice ride!
Old 02-01-2004, 02:25 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alex- okay, so you're saying that there is a gap & that there is no door or anything covering the hole up, right? It's like a little cubby hole w/no door? And I assume there is carpet on the bottom part & not exposed metal under there? When people install CD changers, etc, do they enclose them somehow or just leave them visible (that you've seen)? I'm just trying to get ideas... Also, it says in the auction that the car was not M030- I didn't know the CS was offered w/OUT M030(?)- that seems strange it would be offered that way, considering what it is... Are the wheels 16" or 17"? I think that some NON-M030's still came w/17's, but I could be wrong...

Thanks again....
Old 02-01-2004, 02:31 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

MO30 was an option for CS models, it was not part of the package. 17" wheels were part of the CS package.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:37 PM
Alex Cook
Instructor

Robby - yes, there is a gap, but I don't know what the underside of the board is like. I've not seen a CD changer install but I would guess if it's set back a few inches it's not visible from outside the car.

The M030 package was optional on the CS, as was the LSD. The ride height is 20mm lower than the regular car, but the spring rates, shocks etc are identical unless of course you ordered M030. They all had 17" wheels, painted either body colour, or silver as a no cost option.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:27 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Alex Cook
Robby - yes, there is a gap, but I don't know what the underside of the board is like
I didn't mean the underside of the board- I mean was their carpet or anythng finishing the very bottom? ...covering the metal that one's *** would have sat on, had the board not been there?

Also, I think 17" wheels were sometimes a seperate option- meaning that people COULD order 17" wheels w/out getting any other options IF they wanted to- I know they came w/the other options, but couldn't they get a normal 968 w/out M030 or CS or whatever, BUT, get 17" wheels w/the car?
Old 02-02-2004, 07:52 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Robby, 17" wheels were an option for every 968, except the CS and Sport. CS and Sport had them as part of the package.

Last edited by Damian in NJ; 02-02-2004 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:08 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Damian in NJ
Robby, 17" wheels were an option for every 968, except the CS. CS had them as part of the package.
Okay, that's what I thought, except, I thought they also automatically came w/the M030 package, as well...

Quick Reply: 968CS questions...