Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Will a STB Improve the Handling of Cars?
Yes
59.34%
No
13.19%
I'm on the Fence on this one
27.47%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Strut Tower Brace Poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 05:41 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Ken
Z-man, Dave, I have an idea. At one of the autocrosses this season, run your morning runs as usual. Then, in the afternoon we can swap my strut brace onto your car and you can do your afternoon runs with it on. That should provide a direct comparison. Then you can comment on what you think. How's that sound? It'll take under 5 minutes to do the swap. Just make sure you're not in my run group.
Ken, I was pondering this too. However, I think you should run alternating between the bar on and the bar off. Reason: typically, times improve as the day goes on. By running your car once with bar, once without, once with bar, once without...etc, you're eliminating that natural improvement over time.

I say let's give it a shot!
-Z-man.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:17 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i haven't purchased one yet for my cab, but i have to believe the chasis flex felt under some driving conditions (i.e. entering inclined driveways) has to be improved to some degree with a STB. i can't race my car without doing modifications i don't want to do, so i will never know what that feels like.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:17 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

Porsche factory put strut bracing in the race 944s. Granted, they triangulated, the ideal solution. I'd say the presence of bracing from the factory justifies their existence in tracked cars.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:43 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The STB should make a small diffrence and a larger diffrence on cabriolet cars.

I like the STB but I also want to add a rollbar but both are out of my current budget.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:11 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone using a Racing Dynamics stb; and if so, how well does it fit (any issues iwth Master Brake Cyl.?)?
Perf. Proucts

Also there seems to be some copyright issues with that brand (vs. the real brand)... Link.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:40 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

What I'VE asked before, &, never recieved an answer too is...: Why can't a strut brace be attached, not only to the towers, but, ALSO to the tops of the struts themselves...? I've only looked closely at strut braces in pics, so, this may not make as much sense to others as it does in my head, BUT... the 951 is NOT a very stiff chassis- it did well in the 80's, but, is not strong at ALL compared to more modern cars- Chris Cervelli used to call them "flexi-flyers" for a reason. Look at some pics of them cornering & you'll see what I mean- they ROLL like bitches- even a Turbo S w/larger sways- the 968 M030 sways help over turbo S M030, but, Weltmeisters seem to do the best- Danno sent me comparison pics of HIS car at WSIR in SAME corner to show- he had stock ones, then Turbo S, then Welts.... Not sure where the 968 M030 lies b/t the Turbo S M030 & WEIGHTmeister, BUT.... WE are talking about strut braces- ever lift a 951 & notice how far inward the struts fall from JUST the weight of the wheels? makes me wonder how much moving theyr'e doing in hard corners- seems that trying to stabilize them together somewhat, in addition to tying them to the chassis, would help to SOME extent... I DO realize the importance of strut braces attaching at the towers, as THAT is the point of chassis flex, but- am just wondering why BOTH probs can't be fixed w/one brace? Anyway, Cervelli always said he never noticed strut braces helping & he never used them on his car- he also had the 951 record at WS- STOCK NEW Turbo S w/pro drivers ran 1:41- HE ran ~1:23 in his car- would have to check for EXACT times.... Thsi does NOT mean they do not help.... not sure where my opinion lies.... I can REALLY see it going either way.....
Old 09-27-2004, 08:00 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

If it has heim joints it will allow rotation and chassis flex/geometry distortion. This one does not have heim joints at the primary connection on top of the strut towers.

http://www.stableenergies.com/prodin...item=3&mitem=4

No affiliation
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2004, 08:50 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Manning- where do the vertical pieces connect underneath? that looks really cool- reminds me of the REAR strut braces for VR6's- always wondered why no one makes a rear one for 944's... BTW- have you not removed anything lately? I'm starting to worry about you... Your car MUST be starting to feel rather heavy.... you've been driving it the same way for at least a few months....

Old 09-27-2004, 10:44 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interestingly, no one seems to have asked the obvious question in this four page discussion: did the turbo cup cars come with strut bars? If the answer is no, then I think it can be said with confidence that they're not worth much on a 944.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:25 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robby
Manning- where do the vertical pieces connect underneath? that looks really cool- reminds me of the REAR strut braces for VR6's- always wondered why no one makes a rear one for 944's... BTW- have you not removed anything lately? I'm starting to worry about you... Your car MUST be starting to feel rather heavy.... you've been driving it the same way for at least a few months....

That is the newer version of the Stable Energies bar. The old one didn't have the additional bracing. I am not sure, but I think it connects to the cross member where the A-arm connects. I haven't contacted SE yet to find out.

Regarding removing things, I removed the MSDS cone filter and reinstalled a stock airbox to perform an experiment and decided to leave it. I explained why in another thread a few weeks ago. Other than that no deletions lately

KLR, I am pretty sure the cup cars did have strut bars and if memory serves me they were very similar to the Stable Energies bar in the picture I posted above, sans the vertical tie bars. In other words, no heim joints.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:57 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Manning- I'm not sure I understand the "heim joint" thing- do you have a picture of one WITH a heim joint? Also, do you have a link to your other thread- about the airbox deal- OR what it titled? Did removing the air box for the cone filter save any weight? Danno had listed ~15-20lbs for replacing the air box, snorkel, etc, set-up for a MAF &/OR MAP IIRC.... That would be a GREAT deal IMO- it's pretty high & FAR forward weight too... There ARE a few reasons why the stock might work better than just a one filter though, although going w/MAF seems to be the most reliable, &, definately adds a LITTLE bit to over the stock airbox / flapper style meter.... not as much as normally advertised, but (chips are the vast majority of the gains)....
Old 09-28-2004, 01:15 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

The KLA, Rustmeister, etc. have heim joints on each end where they connect to the fixing point on each tower. A heim joint is basically a ball joint. So as a result you are allowing points of rotation around which your chassis can flex.

Re. the airbox, I think there is maybe a 10 pound savings at most by switching to a cone filter setup on an 8v NA. However, in my experiment I found that you actually harm performance by switching, not because of hot air ingestion, but rather due to the fact that the stock airbox is actually designed pretty well. Here is a link to the thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=airbox
Old 09-28-2004, 01:23 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is a heim joint
Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2004, 01:56 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I C..... thanks for the info Michael.....
Old 09-28-2004, 10:12 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KLR
Interestingly, no one seems to have asked the obvious question in this four page discussion: did the turbo cup cars come with strut bars? If the answer is no, then I think it can be said with confidence that they're not worth much on a 944.
Yes, they did come with USTB's. Not the greatest photo, but this is an 88 cup car (that has been repainted) that shows how the USTB was attached. There were mounting points/tabs welded to the strut towers, and the bar was connected to those.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Strut Tower Brace Poll