Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Will a STB Improve the Handling of Cars?
Yes
59.34%
No
13.19%
I'm on the Fence on this one
27.47%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Strut Tower Brace Poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 11:24 AM
P.Po
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2 cents:

I just sold a Racing Dynamics Sway bar for $100 cdn. Why did I sell it? The simple answer is when I was at Mosport or even a tight track (Small regional tracks like Shannonville and Cayuga), I would drive a session with the bar on, and a session with the bar off. I didn't notice a difference. The one thing I did notice is that the adjustment joint on the bar moved back and forth while I was on the track. My conclusion was that the Racing Dynamics bar does NOT help me. It has a joint you tighten with a nut and bolt right at the flex point....dumb.

The car was a 951 with Koni Sports, 300# fronts and rubber upper bushings, solid camber blocks and Delrin A-arm bushings. Stock sway bars. Well balanced, virtually no understeer.

Personally, once I replace the rubber with some spherical bushings, I am going to make a similar bar to the CupCar bars with some type of triangulation added to it as well. It will be a while before I do this, but I am going to do the same tests. A few laps with bar on a few with bar off.... of course, I am at the point where I either leave this car the way it is or go whole hog and start replacing the rear rubber as well.

cheers,
Patrick
Old 10-01-2004, 05:27 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Patrick- I can seee that- I like the way those bars look, but, RD's little center adj point seemed kind of odd to me, from a structural point.... I'm not an engineer, but, it sounds like it DOES effect it....
Old 10-01-2004, 05:36 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody who want's a Weltmeister, make me an offer. I will gladly sell you mine.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:31 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

It should vastly improve performance in ANY car! The lack of twist at front from high G-forces,. confidently keep the four wheels planted. It is not very noticeable in the P-Car, only because its near-perfect suspension geometry is mostly factory dialed-in. The SBR guarantees your four wheels will wear prematurely too. Torsional rigidity is only warranted on cars doing alot of threshold-braking into sweeping corners.

Quick Reply: Strut Tower Brace Poll