Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transaxle interchangability

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 06:04 PM
Neufcatcat
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
Talking Transaxle interchangability

Hello fellow members,

i have an opportunity to get an early ('82) 924 Turbo transmission with LSD and i want to swap it into my '86 944 race car. IOW 16G (6Q) in lieu of a 16K (5S). Maybe this subject have been beaten to death but i was wondering if:

-Direct fit?
-(if not, what does it involve??)
-Gear ratio (from what l found they are the same..correct me if l'm wrong

Have to make a decision by tomorow, so quick answers would be highly appreciated.
Thx for the knowledge sharing.

PS: In the meantime before my knowledge is up to par with yours, if you have any questions regarding late Harley, Building envelope science, Beer around the world, Living with 4 women, Hockey: a great way to escape the house and drink with your buddys, ... fell free to ask... Ü
Old 12-03-2018, 01:23 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

Look for Dimi on this forum ,if anybody knows transmission fitments , it's him !
Shoot him a PM and i'm sure he would be able to answer your question ...
Old 12-03-2018, 01:40 PM
Neufcatcat
Advanced

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Look for Dimi on this forum ,if anybody knows transmission fitments , it's him !
Shoot him a PM and i'm sure he would be able to answer your question ...
Will do! Thx
👍
Old 12-03-2018, 02:35 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Look on the top of the transaxle and see if it has the two holes for the late transmission mount. It might not. It also won't have a port for the speedo sensor, and I seem to remember you were going to drive the car on the street too, so you wouldn't have the stock speedometer.
Depending on the price you're paying for it, and the condition of your existing transmission you could consider moving the LSD from that trans to yours.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:31 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Living with four women? Quebec.. what a wonderful place!
Old 12-05-2018, 01:42 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Why don't you head over to Simon at Remise Classique , i'm sure he's got a few good transmissions lying around.

For what it's worth , i raced a whole weekend at Mosport with a borrowed non LSD transmission after mine lost 4th and 5th gears and
there wasn't a great noticeable difference with our " lowish " horsepower cars ...
Old 12-05-2018, 02:33 PM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
Living with four women? Quebec.. what a wonderful place!
Please reconsider!!! ( you will then also have 4 mothers in law…….).
Old 12-05-2018, 02:51 PM
Neufcatcat
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by Kurt R
Look on the top of the transaxle and see if it has the two holes for the late transmission mount. It might not. It also won't have a port for the speedo sensor, and I seem to remember you were going to drive the car on the street too, so you wouldn't have the stock speedometer.
Depending on the price you're paying for it, and the condition of your existing transmission you could consider moving the LSD from that trans to yours.
Does have two top holes and also the speedo sensor as well. LSD, shorter 5th and good price....l pulled the trigger on it..
Old 12-05-2018, 02:54 PM
Neufcatcat
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hans
Please reconsider!!! ( you will then also have 4 mothers in law…….).
l should have been more precise: 3 daughters (17-17-20) and the master mold (ze wife).So no 4 mothers in law but, if patient enough, 3 SIL to share the heat...
Old 12-05-2018, 03:04 PM
Neufcatcat
Advanced

Why don't you head over to Simon at Remise Classique , i'm sure he's got a few good transmissions lying around.

For what it's worth , i raced a whole weekend at Mosport with a borrowed non LSD transmission after mine lost 4th and 5th gears and
there wasn't a great noticeable difference with our " lowish " horsepower cars ...
That's what i was thinking too but everybody l talked to were all highly suggesting it. Anyhow, in a typical behavior of mine, l got the tranny before having my answers and lt turns out that l did ok: On the top of the LSD, l also get a shorter 5th ratio and it was nicely priced from what l have seeing all over the web. l will be keeping mine for a future rebuilt sometimes. Next on the agenda is the cage (booked mid-Jan ) and the full WP-T&B belts service.New Seat, safety belts and some are already store in my garage. Still a lot to do. (on top of re-painting my murdercyle that l already started to sand...)

Old 12-05-2018, 06:21 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Who is doing your cage ?
Old 12-05-2018, 06:49 PM
Neufcatcat
Advanced

Who is doing your cage ?
''Joint venture'' between Autopower (U weld) and Ben Custom Fabrics -BCF in Saint-Hyacinthe.
Mostly a drag guy (builds most probably the fastest VW 1/4 milers in the country) but next to none as far as welding goes. He was the one looking for my race car back in the days and he simply is an artist. He did want to do anymore cages besides the one for his whips but, in the name of long term relationship, he graciously accepted to do mine. No doubt that the AP cage is just a starting point. I also looked at Sebastien Rochon who does kick-*** cage as well but it is just more convenient to go with BCF.

https://www.facebook.com/search/str/...d?epa=SEE_MORE

This back from 2007. Never mind the music (maybe you likr it??). Kick-*** car he built.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:30 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Make sure you read the PCA rule book before you plan your cage , the scrut (Fricke) is pretty **** about cages and regulations ...
VARAC in Ontario will also give your cage a good look over before certifying it. As for racing at Tremblant , there’s no technical
inspection ... it all depends on how much YOU value your safety !
Old 12-06-2018, 11:34 AM
Neufcatcat
Advanced

Make sure you read the PCA rule book before you plan your cage , the scrut (Fricke) is pretty **** about cages and regulations ...
VARAC in Ontario will also give your cage a good look over before certifying it. As for racing at Tremblant , there’s no technical
inspection ... it all depends on how much YOU value your safety !
I have been looking for PCA regulations for quite some time now and nobody was ever able to direct me in the right direction. That said , the cage from Autopower are SCCA and NASA certified (both bolt-on or weld) when installed occordingly. Also my fabricator also built from scratch a couple of WRX rally cage, so he sure knows how to weld properly. VARAC being tough on safety cages.?? Good to hear because l saw some old MG's, Triumph and some running with what looks to me cages that were from the Diefenbacker era made out of old backyard children swing...

Quick Reply: Transaxle interchangability