Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wet rear seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 05:30 AM
Steve`s `85 944
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question wet rear seats

Hi everyone;
I`m a new member, and I`ve only had my Porsche for 2 weeks; I`ve sorted a few problems, but what with living in the u.k.this one is a bit urgent;
does anybody have / had a problem with the rear seats of a 944 getting really wet ?
I think they`re wet through a combination of leaks (via hatch seal around catches etc and sunroof seal )and condensation; the underside of the cushions is really wet..if i dry it out thoroughly with a hairdryer on a dry day,( admittedly a cold one ) with no possibility of water coming anywhere near the car,it is simply a matter of applying heat from the dryer to the external face of the cushion for a few minutes to create dampness under it again.
I have replaced the hatch seal, the "bungs"around the hatch catches (can`t believe porsche designed it like that !) ,and both sunroof seals; i just cannot think of what this could be other than condensation.
should i just dry it out and glue the cushions back, or perhaps try some plastic sheeting between the floor / cushion ?
Old 01-29-2004, 06:51 AM
Paul Flintoft
Intermediate

Default Wet Spot(s)

Not happened to me, but one idea is to check the drain holes for the sunroof. They may be blocked. Appranetly this is a common problem.

If you car is RHD, do you have an additional wet spot in the drivers (right hand) side foot well? I occasionally get one (other Aussies will laugh but it doesn't rain much in Melbourne these days) and can't work out why or where it may be coming from.

paul f.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:29 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is more directed to paul, one thing i would always check is to make sure its water. If its in the driver or passenger footwell (not in the back) it coudl possibly be something like a leaky heating or coolign core? not sure how they work in these cars, but in other cars that could be it.
just make sure the stuff is water and not antifreeze
Old 01-29-2004, 07:32 AM
Steve`s `85 944
Cruisin'

thanks paul, but the drains are clear;
i don`t get the wet patch in the front, but perhaps this has something to do with the drains.....i don`t know where the ones to the front are routed, but i would assume down through the "A" posts..
Old 01-29-2004, 08:23 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your sunroof seal is worn. Time to replace it.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:08 AM
Paul Flintoft
Intermediate

Default Tips

All,

Thanks for the tips. I had thought that it might be a slight heater leak as I have lost just a little coolant occasionally. Any tips on where to look? Pulling the dash to get at the heater core seems fairly full on effort to check out a theory.

Also on sunroof seals. Am replacing mine in the process of removing the (hopefully) last rattle from the sunroof. The local porsche tech put me onto a tip of placing a smear of vaseline (no kidding) on the sunroof to check that the seal was working all round. A gap in one corner was found this way and after some adjustment, I removed some addtional road noise. Sadly, can't advise on leaks, not much rain in summer.

Paul F.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:04 AM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

i'm betting rear hatch glass separating from the frame...take you car to a car wash (w/ hand held pressure washer). you'll find the source of the leak before the more money buzzer starts ringing.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:26 AM
sdparks
Intermediate

I will not make a joke, I will not make a joke, I will not....
Old 01-29-2004, 11:17 AM
FRANKYDOOM
Advanced

check the drain holes for the sunroof

Mine leaks in the front, back and inside the door ........... well its a cab and i need money to get a new roof . Glad its full leather interior easy to wipe lol.

944 n/a cab - Reading UK
Old 01-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Wet Spot(s)

Originally posted by Paul Flintoft
Not happened to me, but one idea is to check the drain holes for the sunroof. They may be blocked. Appranetly this is a common problem.

If you car is RHD, do you have an additional wet spot in the drivers (right hand) side foot well? I occasionally get one (other Aussies will laugh but it doesn't rain much in Melbourne these days) and can't work out why or where it may be coming from.

paul f.
Probably a plugged drain in your battery box. It overflows when it rains, and goes into the car. Pull the battery and check to see if the drain is plugged.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:36 AM
Paul Flintoft
Intermediate

Thanks for this. Is the battery and issue for early or later models, here. The battery appears to be in the left rear boot area on mine. Are there other drain holes for the front?

Paul
Old 01-30-2004, 09:54 AM
jd944
Instructor

I had the same problem with my 84. It turned out to be a very small rust hole in the battery "box".
The battery had to be removed for it to be visible and I found it by accident when I replaced the battery. I riveted in a patch and coated the entire area with an elastomeric sealant. No more water in the rear footwell. Be sure to check that the drains on both sides of the cowl are clear.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:06 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Sunroof; seal and drains.

Rear hatch; replace the seal and adjust. Also check to see if the glass has seperated from the frame at the top.

Does the passenger floor get wet too or just the seats?
Old 01-30-2004, 12:16 PM
ryeske944
Instructor

You might want to double check that the glass hasn't started to pull away from the hatch frame too.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:29 PM
roadrunner
Instructor

I had a similar problem even after resealing my rear hatch to the frame. My sunroof seals were old and when I would raise the roof panel, the upper panel seal would pull the lower seal off the lip and allow the interior roof liner to pull away from the seal. This caused the lower seal to lose it's sealing action because the thickness of the interior roof liner made it clamp on the opening's lip. The water collecting in the sunroof "gutter" area and would drip, via capillary action from the corners of the lower seal, on the rear seats.

Quick Reply: wet rear seats