Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Options for mounting a video camera in a 944?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 02:49 PM
mpw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options for mounting a video camera in a 944?

I've searched and found that most of you guys who run video cameras have either a harness bar, roll bar, or full cage. Is there anyway to mount a small video camera (I have a Canon ZR40) in a 944 without a bar?

In my Audi, I use this thing:

But that's obviously not going to work in the 944. What other options are out there? Or, is a harness bar pretty easy to install?

Also, a related question, how hot does the 944 get under the hood on the track. I realize that's sort of a vague question, but the reason I ask is that I like to run a lapel microphone to the engine bay, and then hook it up to the camera. I much prefer hearing the engine to hearing wind noise (as a friend put it, it sounds like you're hearing the audio through a drive-thru speaker in a hurricane). I'm just wondering if the mic will be able to hold up to the under hood temps on the track (not that I actually know what the mics temp threshold is). Thanks guys.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The easiest method is to mount the camera to a harness bar or roll bar. They are not hard to install at all. Both Stable Energies and BK make harness bars for your car. Redline Racing makes a fantastic rollbar for our cars. (Shameless plug!)

I/O Port makes an adapter that you can mount on such bars. (Stable energies has these in stock). (Yet another shameless plug... )

HTH,
-Z-man.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

I have (and can post a pic later) a piece of box aluminum (similar to the horizontal bar in your pic, costs a couple bucks) with a camera mount (looks a lot like yours) mounted on top of it in the middle.
I held it up against the back of the rear seat, drilled two holes through the aluminum and into the seat and put two wood screws in. I have to put my passenger seat down, but, since it's so far back, I get a full view from my head to the right A pillar.
I'm getting a wide angle lense for $40 that will increase that range.

My turbo doesn't get much hotter on the track than the street, those 60-120mph winds keep it cool. If you're worried, just mount the mic on the brake fluid side of the heat shield, you should get the roar, but not too much heat.

I used my camera on the track for the first time last weekend. With the windows down, it was really loud!
Old 01-28-2004, 03:22 PM
mpw
Instructor

Thanks guys. I was hesitant to get a harness bar, but they are much more reasonable than I though. Also, the bar from Redline looks awesome, and the price is outstanding. I've not looked at bars and cages before, but I figured they'd be upwards of 1000, not under $500. Very cool! I'll check out Stable Energies as well.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:44 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The harness bar with IO Port camera mount might be your most cost-effective solution for the long-term, and to account for inclimate weather. For a bit more you can have a really neat suction cup device that will mount to either glass or the body. There are several types out there - Google search "suction car camera mount" for choices.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:52 PM
Bryans951
Burning Brakes

I made this. I'm going to redo the front bar. There just so happen to be a bolt sticking out near the the top. Thats what the blue padding is for.

my camera stand
Old 01-28-2004, 04:20 PM
Bryans951
Burning Brakes

I made this. I'm going to redo the front bar. There just so happen to be a bolt sticking out near the the top. Thats what the blue padding is for.

my camera stand

Quick Reply: Options for mounting a video camera in a 944?