Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new (1999) Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 08:45 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

P.S. I paid $29K.

In retrospect, that was probably too much. It's a long story, but I talked price with the seller a couple of months ago, and this is the number we agreed to. At the time, cars of similar year (99) and mileage (19K) were showing up in Panorama for between $28K and $31K. I saw a couple of comparables on Porsche dealer web sites for just over $30K, but these dealer cars had warranties. So, $29K seemed reasonable. Besides, I know the seller, and I know this car has been pampered, never seen a drop of rain, never driven on the track, etc. Appearance is flawless. The engine did have the infamous RMS leak. However, the seller and I took the car to the nearest Porsche dealer, and the seller paid for the repair (the dealer charged half price; the car is out of warranty, but the miles are low). The RMS repair is warranted for two years.

Over the last couple of months, I have seen a couple of cars with similar mileage for around $27K. So, maybe I could have done better. You can certainly find cars with higher miles for less than $25K.

The bottom line is that I am very happy with the purchase. As with my 944, I look forward to driving it every time I get behind the wheel, just more so. Every time I am in sight of either car I stare at it. Every time I walk away from the car, I look back at it.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:00 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

There is a 97 with 124k for 13k not too far from me. I called only to get a message describing the color of the car, and directions to a diner by his house where someone will meet me to show me the car. He is by Dan Gallagher (if you read this Dan).

I called the number he gave at the end of his rant only to get another machine. Is is manual or auto, what was replaced, etc. your guess is as good as mine, but it is yellow, and i am tempted to get another toy.

Sorry EZ if this is too OT for you.

I may call again as soon as some of the snow melts.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:23 PM
turbopop
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NICE

As a fellow 944/986 owner I can say you will enjoy both. The Boxster does have more power than the 944 and handles better, then there is the added benefit of the open top on a warm summer night, nothing like it.
I still like driving the 944, and it does have more room, but, sorry guys, the Boxster is nicer to drive. One word of warning, Resist the urge to put the top down in any kind of cold weather. There have been many reports of rear windows cracking in the cold. Not an easy replacement when it happens.

From Maryland's Eastern Shore
83 944
01 986
86 951 - (sold)
89 930 - (sold)
80 924 - (sold)
Old 01-28-2004, 11:44 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I see what you mean. Until now I had no idea what was really the issue on working around a Boxter. Got an idea which many of us apply especially to lowered 944/951 chassis. You can raise the Boxter with that so called fiberglass/plastic ramp. Might have to use two pieces of 2x10" wood one per track to ease it up on the ramp. Depending on whether you want to tilt forward or backward you backup or driveup. Definitely, I am planning to take a Boxter for a test drive. The hard part for me that I have space and time for only one toy... Hurts too much to think of giving up my 951.

Originally posted by Mark Hubley
I haven't changed the oil myself yet, but it looks super easy. Look under the middle of the car, and the drain plug and oil filter are right there. It looks to me like it will be easier than changing the oil on my 944. I also have heard of people paying over $100 for an oil change. It seems to me that anyone paying that much is getting ripped off. Keep in mind, we're talking about 8 quarts of oil. With Mobil 1 from Wal-Mart, that right there is $30-$40. A mechanic probably increases that to over $50. I've seen the filters in catalogs for $10, but I'll bet a mechanic boosts that up to over $20. Add the labor, and there's your $100. I look forward to doing the job myself. Although, without a lift, it might be a little trickier to get an oil pan under the Boxster than my 944. I figure I can use a jack to lift the car enough to get access to the filter and plug, drop the car to let it drain, then jack it back up to put in the new filter and the plug. Anyway, the oil plug, oil filter, and filler opening are very easy to access.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:32 AM
turbopop
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can raise the Boxter with that so called fiberglass/plastic ramp. Might have to use two pieces of 2x10" wood one per track to ease it up on the ramp.
I have used my standard steel ramps to raise the rear wheels of my Boxster without any problem. Makes getting at the underside of the engine quite easy.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:41 AM
Sean M.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the club.

Changing oil and air filter in the Boxster is a cinch. Get a pair of Rhino Ramps (or whatever) from Wal-Mart and you are set.

I have about 31k miles on my Boxster and it is due for the scheduled maintenance (spark plugs, oil/air filter, pollen filter, brake pads). I think I can handle it all myself. There's no need to pay the dealer for this sort of relatively routine stuff.

Check out PPBB.com - a good 986 board.

Congrats, you will enjoy it.

Quick Reply: My new (1999) Boxster